Opinion of the Hijab
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:48:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Hijab
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
FC

HC

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Opinion of the Hijab  (Read 2983 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 10:02:36 PM »

As a piece of clothing, it is really not that unique. There is a long tradition of women covering their heads in European Christian societies. Think of all the pictures you see of Eastern European peasant women with covered heads, or even of 1950s-60s British housewives. Catholic nuns still do cover their heads.

it is the sociology of the Hijab that is depressing, particularly its rise across the Islamic world (including places like Indonesia where it was traditionally not worn), as well as in immigrant communities in Europe that, even 10-20 years ago, were fairly secular.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2017, 10:05:33 PM »

In the 1970s, Muslim women protested being forced to wear Islamic veils, in 2017, they protest using them as a sign of progressive feminism. Pretty obvious HC, since the hijab depreciates women by forcing them to cover themselves up.

Based on that logic alone, you must also agree that laws prohibiting women publicly displaying their nipples are horrible as well. Both pertain entirely to a socially constructed perception of right and wrong regarding appropriate clothing for the female sex.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2017, 10:07:28 PM »

In the 1970s, Muslim women protested being forced to wear Islamic veils, in 2017, they protest using them as a sign of progressive feminism. Pretty obvious HC, since the hijab depreciates women by forcing them to cover themselves up.

As someone who voted HC, protests normally come after government coercion either way. It was one of the key flashpoints of the Iranian Revolution - Kashf-e hijab and its horrid, illiberal consequences.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2017, 10:11:33 PM »

I dislike it's usage, so HC, I guess. Though not the worst, and as it does not create a custom of segregation, women should be allowed to wear it.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2017, 10:11:51 PM »

i would only propose banning every kind of every-day piece of clothing which veils the whole face.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 09:06:11 AM »

A girl from my church just posted a rant on Facebook in regards to a local politician wearing a scarf around her head hijab style when speaking a bunch of Somalis at some sort of town hall* about how how much Jesus loves women and didn't degrade them and would never force a woman to wear something like that and how anyone who follows a real religion never should and how she would die before wearing something like that and going against what Jesus wants for all women. God bless her!

*Which IS very stupid and quite patronizing as well, since Somalis wouldn't even expect her to do so and it's not like she was at a mosque or anything.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 09:17:43 AM »

I would bet that the rate of violent acts committed by women wearing the hijab is lower than the general population.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 10:50:06 AM »

I dislike it's usage, so HC, I guess. Though not the worst, and as it does not create a custom of segregation, women should be allowed to wear it.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »

A regular hijab/head scarf can be quite lovely. I have zero problem with them.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 04:56:53 PM »

Women can wear it if they like, but I strongly dislike the idea of forcing anyone to wear one.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 05:42:53 PM »

"People can do whatever they want with their own bodies" = the liberal equivalent of "let the states decide".

Just so everyone knows.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 05:45:51 PM »

HC, though I also do not approve of laws prohibiting its usage.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 07:47:24 PM »

HC wherever women wear it because of oppression

FC wherever women wear it despite oppression
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 08:56:58 PM »

HC wherever women wear it because of oppression

FC wherever women wear it despite oppression

No such place exists.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2017, 09:15:19 PM »

It's interesting how both Muslims and Secular Nationalists can find common ground in controlling what women wear.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2017, 09:18:18 PM »

Uh, what oppression of hijabs exists in France? It's still completely legal to wear one there, unlike niqabs and burkahs.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2017, 10:56:11 PM »

There's nothing inherently "wrong" about Hijab. Forcing someone to wear it is wrong, and, so some degree, forbidding voluntary wearing.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2017, 11:11:30 PM »

Uh, what oppression of hijabs exists in France? It's still completely legal to wear one there, unlike niqabs and burkahs.
Unless you're a student.

I don't think a country should change it's laws to accommodate muslims, when this law existed for decades.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2017, 03:46:59 AM »

I don't think a country should change it's laws to accommodate muslims, when this law existed for decades.
the law was passed in 2004.

A law based upon the principle of lacite from 1905. A country has a right to do this, and this law was supported across the poltical spectrum, including muslim women 49% who support, compared to 43% who oppose.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2017, 11:49:48 AM »

Massive HC, but I certainly wouldn't support banning it.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »

Yeah I think the correct solution in France would have been to allow religious expression in schools, but ban religions operating schools or at least banning them from discrimating between children. Segregation is worse than peeling back from some arbitrary standard of secularism (like, do French public schools celebrate Christmas?)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2017, 06:39:59 PM »

A law based upon the principle of lacite from 1905. A country has a right to do this, and this law was supported across the poltical spectrum, including muslim women 49% who support, compared to 43% who oppose.
The French hijab ban represented a tangible shift in existing public policy (which allowed the scarf in most cases). A "principle" isn't a law. You could claim the United States has a lengthy record of caring for the elderly, stretching back to FDR's Social Security in the 1930s. Doesn't make Medicare Part D a "law that existed for decades."

No but the principle behind Medicare Part D, is what made it law. A country has the right to do that, especially if it's in lieu with the principles of the nation.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2017, 06:56:33 PM »

The French hijab ban represented a tangible shift in existing public policy (which allowed the scarf in most cases). A "principle" isn't a law. You could claim the United States has a lengthy record of caring for the elderly, stretching back to FDR's Social Security in the 1930s. Doesn't make Medicare Part D a "law that existed for decades."

No but the principle behind Medicare Part D, is what made it law. A country has the right to do that, especially if it's in lieu with the principles of the nation.

Just becasue a county has a "right" to make a law doesn't make it a good law.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2017, 06:59:18 PM »

I never stated it is, to say the law is oppression, is fycking ridiculous though.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2017, 07:04:36 PM »

I never stated it is, to say the law is oppression, is fycking ridiculous though.

In practice it is oppressive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies