Politico: Trump and the decore of dictators
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:17:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Politico: Trump and the decore of dictators
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politico: Trump and the decore of dictators  (Read 619 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2017, 04:35:57 PM »
« edited: March 12, 2017, 04:38:07 PM by Virginia »

Trump’s Dictator Chic
"I wrote a book about autocrats’ design tastes. The U.S. president would fit right in."

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/trump-style-dictator-autocrats-design-214877

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Trump's apartment and his general tastes almost fits these rules to a T. He's our very own Gilded President:

And no, I'm not suggesting Trump is a dictator based on this article, but rather just noting the almost comical similarities.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 04:46:54 PM »

I'll say it: he IS a dictator. And his digs are gawd-awful!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 04:48:36 PM »

I can't envision myself living in such a stuffy/tacky looking place. It'd be a great lobby or something like that, but my HOME? Nah. No way. Nothing beats nice wooden or warm-colored walls with a fireplace and comfy sofas.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 04:58:47 PM »

The arrangement of the furniture is so bizarre. You'll be seated too far away from anyone else to have a conversation and in some cases wouldn't even be facing them.

What are people who are in this room supposed to be doing?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 05:07:17 PM »

The arrangement of the furniture is so bizarre. You'll be seated too far away from anyone else to have a conversation and in some cases wouldn't even be facing them.

What are people who are in this room supposed to be doing?

Admiring how great and successful Trump is.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »

He is a dictator in the making.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 08:00:34 PM »

-They said that every day about the last two guys in charge. Especially Shrub.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 12:22:39 AM »

Many Trump voters will understand his aesthetic choices much better than those of the establishment politicians they despise. This is actually one way in which he impresses them.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 12:25:36 AM »

Many Trump voters will understand his aesthetic choices much better than those of the establishment politicians they despise. This is actually one way in which he impresses them.

cause you propose he is the personification of how a poor person imagines a rich person to be?

i wouldn't call the average trump to be either uninterested in things like "taste" automatically agreeing with trump.....i think they mostly just don't give a fick.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 12:30:52 AM »

cause you propose he is the personification of how a poor person imagines a rich person to be?

i wouldn't call the average trump to be either uninterested in things like "taste" automatically agreeing with trump.....i think they mostly just don't give a fick.
Yeah, he lives the life many people dream of. Many poor people don't necessarily hate rich people, or dislike extraordinary aesthetic preferences that are frowned upon by the highly educated upper middle-class. It is rather that highly educated upper middle-class they despise. These are the class of people that they think shape society in a way that affects them negatively.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 01:10:32 AM »

For some reason this reminded me of the sad case of Dave Edwards, the poor ex-felon lottery winner who had a quite a rapid downfall:

The reminder came in the form of his choice of furniture when he splurged on a mansion. It is the kind of furniture you'd probably expect of a family who inherited it and/or came from "old money" :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2574188/Tiffanis-father-won-27m-Powerball-jackpot-11-A-decade-later-died-broke-blowing-Lear-jet-fast-cars-bad-deals-drugs-Here-tells-RELIEF-wild-ride-over.html

Note that it is not gilded or anything but some of it has a similar style to Trump's (and other dictator's) furniture. This was quite literally a poor man's idea of wealth, and kind of give off the sense that he was simply trying to develop an appearance of a wealthy man, even if he may not have liked that style himself. Same with Trump, although its possible Trump genuinely likes that style and isn't just filling a void in himself.

It kind of makes sense when you think about it, if you ask me anyway. Given the resources to do it, many people want to appear to fit the role and will latch on to styles and ideas that they believe will make them viewed as more "authentically wealthy."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies