How America's Right-Wing Fell in Love with Putin and Moscow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:00:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How America's Right-Wing Fell in Love with Putin and Moscow
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How America's Right-Wing Fell in Love with Putin and Moscow  (Read 2514 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2017, 07:49:46 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.alternet.org/right-wing/american-right-loves-russia
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 07:51:30 PM »

I already wrote a paper on this.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 07:59:36 PM »

That's not the issue here. The question is why people who correctly laughed at Mitt Romney's ludicrous foreign policy now admire it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 08:15:21 PM »

That's not the issue here. The question is why people who correctly laughed at Mitt Romney's ludicrous foreign policy now admire it.

Romney was right.
Eharding

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 08:30:32 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2017, 08:37:41 PM by Eharding »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=155824.msg3351375#msg3351375

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=157717.msg3390561#msg3390561

Hmmm....

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 08:38:53 PM »

Yes, I was wrong then. Romney was prescient about Russia. This was before Snowden, Crimea, Ukraine,  DCLeaks, etc. Kudos to Romney.
Eharding

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 08:41:07 PM »

-Your views do seem to be roughly consistent from the Krimean crisis onward. However, consistency of error in this way is no virtue.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »

cause humans are able to recognize the error of their ways?

2013/14 and everything that followed turned the world on its head.

in the past i thought putin was just another little autocrat, ruling his country and enslaving only his own people.

now we all know him to be the biggest danger for world peace, imperialist invasor of other countries and enemy of liberalism and democracy.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 10:48:40 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2017, 10:51:00 PM by J_American »

Russia is meddling in Western affairs by funding and supporting, albeit indirectly, political parties that threaten to destabilize Western politics and the post-WWII international order. But to attribute all this to Russia is simply the mad rantings of a conspiracy theorist who sees some elaborate master plan behind every event. The simple fact is that Russia, like any intelligent, aspiring power, exploits vulnerabilities. They recognized that the West's vulnerabilities today are centered on the issues of free trade, immigration, and national identity. Thus, they're aiding political parties and movements that were already focused on those issues.

This same thing happened during the Cold War when the Soviets were attempting to undermine the West via support for Communists. The result was witch hunts, fearmongering, red scares, and thought control;  all for the purpose of benefiting from the paranoia of the American public. Did Russia try to undermine us? Yes. Was it a serious threat? Not particularly. Democrats risk recreating Cold War paranoia and resurrecting McCarthy to get drunk and start subpoenaing all suspected "alt right" affiliated thinkers to appear before another Congressional investigatory committee.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 11:15:14 PM »

Democrats risk recreating Cold War paranoia and resurrecting McCarthy to get drunk and start subpoenaing all suspected "alt right" affiliated thinkers to appear before another Congressional investigatory committee.

That's EXACTLY what needs to happen. Also with people like Jill Stein.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 02:51:40 AM »

Well, seeing as how Putin hates/hated Hillary on a jfern level of hate, the right wing sympathized with Russia in their mutual hatred of her.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 03:59:53 AM »

Wrong. The issue most certainly is why you guys are in love with a madman that Reagan would've despised. You openly excuse or deny him being a murderous and oppressive dictator. You all (the right) have stooped to a low I never thought possible with Trump and Putin. It continues to floor me how there is so much open complacency and admiration for authoritarianism in the party I used to support.
Eharding

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 01:28:40 PM »

Wrong. The issue most certainly is why you guys are in love with a madman that Reagan would've despised. You openly excuse or deny him being a murderous and oppressive dictator. You all (the right) have stooped to a low I never thought possible with Trump and Putin. It continues to floor me how there is so much open complacency and admiration for authoritarianism in the party I used to support.

-I don't think you know much about Reagan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_support_for_Iraq_during_the_Iran%E2%80%93Iraq_war
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_policy_of_the_Ronald_Reagan_administration#Guatemala
http://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/10/12/President-Reagan-welcomed-Indonesian-President-Suharto-to-the-White/8771403243200/

BTW, of the many words used to describe Putin, even by the anti-Russia propaganda press, "madman" for good reason, is not one of them.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »

Shorter Answer: They'll kiss the feet of anyone who they see as standing up to Obama/Clinton.
Eharding

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 01:44:24 PM »

Shorter Answer: They'll kiss the feet of anyone who they see as standing up to Obama/Clinton.

-True for most men. Not true for me. I did not kiss Romney's feet, nor would I have kissed Lil Marco's.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 01:53:55 PM »

Romney was proven right.
Eharding

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 01:54:29 PM »

Romney was proven right.

-When did you first start to believe that nonsense? I certainly never did.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2017, 02:02:14 PM by Pericles »

Romney was proven right.

-When did you first start to believe that nonsense? I certainly never did.
2014 following Russian aggression in Ukraine. Russia is an autocratic, aggressive power and direct enemy of the United States. It is clearly suspicious and worrying, at best misguided,  that the Trump has a bromance with a murderous dictator like Putin.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 02:01:52 PM »

Because Donald Trump loves Putin and routinely expresses admiration for him, Republicans are now lining up behind Putin to defend their indefensible standard-bearer. Honestly, it's pathetic.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 03:26:49 PM »

Russia does seem like a right-wing paradise.  The rich control the country, homosexuality is a perverse sin that must be kept hidden, the men are all about machismo, women are viewed as sex objects, they love their strongman dictator, religious fundamentalists control social policy.  Sounds like the country of every conservative's dreams.

A lot of conservatives really don't want freedom at all.  What they want is order and tradition and strict, rigid adherence to what they believe - and anyone that deviates from that is either a sinner or a criminal or unpatriotic.  Religion is always combined with aggressive masculinity.  Conservatism about maintaining manly power.

The United States is too unruly and too free for any true religious right winger to like it here.

The religious right does not want a free country, what they want is a theocratic state where their interpretation of the Bible replaces the Constitution as the law of the land.

Western liberal democracy vs. statist theocracy.  Religious pluralism vs. religious fundamentalism.

I wouldn't be surprised if Russia becomes the new Nazi Germany and begins to kill off all the gay people that live there.  That's the direction they are headed towards.
Eharding

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 03:57:46 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2017, 03:59:23 PM by Eharding »

Pennsyltucky and Pericles again express their ignorance. Guys, I recommend reading Wikipedia for a little.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 04:04:26 PM »

Pennsyltucky and Pericles again express their ignorance. Guys, I recommend reading Wikipedia for a little.

Just putting this out there, but you can't really use Wikipedia to gain genuine knowledge on something like this.  I can go on Wikipedia right now and write whatever I want.

In the 2008 election, when Giuliani was running in the Republican primary, I went to his Wikipedia page and saw that he had the biggest penis in the Northeast.  Seriously, that's what it said.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 04:21:35 PM »

Just putting this out there, but you can't really use Wikipedia to gain genuine knowledge on something like this.  I can go on Wikipedia right now and write whatever I want.

In the 2008 election, when Giuliani was running in the Republican primary, I went to his Wikipedia page and saw that he had the biggest penis in the Northeast.  Seriously, that's what it said.

LOL.  I don't get the comment made by Eharding.  Russia is not the kind of country the United States should strive to be like.  It's not a place I think people want to live in.  Conservatives like it I guess over the anti-homosexuality thing - but what else does it have that's so great?  I'm sure the Russian people themselves are lovely and kind, but their government?  It seems so authoritarian and creepy.  Putin is a dictator.  He wants more and more power.  And he'll get it, thanks to an Appeaser-in-Chief in Donald Trump.

The thing I never got is why Trump would allow Putin to have the upper hand.  CNN recently had a commercial - Putin: The Most Powerful Man in the World.  What possesses an egomaniac like Trump to be so subservient to a foreign dictator?  What's going on there?
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 04:38:14 PM »

I also think that our media generalizes a lot saying "Russia" or "The Russians" as if all Russians agree or if the policies of Vladimir Putin reflect all of the Russian people.

I know of many gay rights activists in Russia who have been beaten and persecuted - and that's who I think about when I hear Russia.  I also think of reporters who dare to challenge the government's official line and how they too are persecuted.

I've heard enough about the Russian Government to know that its not anything I would want America to be close to.

I think what America has to do is take it on.  We are the most powerful country on Earth.  Our President should be much more powerful than Putin could ever be. 

It's highly ironic that conservatives of all people would abandon their belief in American supremacy and U.S. domination of world affairs simply because this clown Trump seems to jerk off to Putin.  Both of these men are dangerous egomaniacs.

The United States should have a President that fights for American interests - and any kind of appeasement with dictators or anti-Western governments is not in American interests.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 05:07:05 PM »

LOL.  I don't get the comment made by Eharding.  Russia is not the kind of country the United States should strive to be like.  It's not a place I think people want to live in.  Conservatives like it I guess over the anti-homosexuality thing - but what else does it have that's so great?  I'm sure the Russian people themselves are lovely and kind, but their government?  It seems so authoritarian and creepy.  Putin is a dictator.  He wants more and more power.  And he'll get it, thanks to an Appeaser-in-Chief in Donald Trump.

The thing I never got is why Trump would allow Putin to have the upper hand.  CNN recently had a commercial - Putin: The Most Powerful Man in the World.  What possesses an egomaniac like Trump to be so subservient to a foreign dictator?  What's going on there?

Trump wants to be the American Putin.

Trump probably believes all the pro-Putin PR, even at its most ridiculous.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies