Will Generation Z be more conservative?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:53:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Generation Z be more conservative?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Will Generation Z be more conservative?  (Read 6903 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2017, 06:08:36 PM »

This is why I predict that the types of atheists who go out of their way to argue with religious people will become Republicans.  Ten years ago their hatred was focused on rural conservatives.  Today their hatred is often focused on immigrants (especially Muslims).

This what I think will start happening over these next couple decades as well. A realignment that positions the democrats as the Party of working class whites and minorities would effectively position the GOP as being the more secular, nonreligious Party in order to appeal to fiscally centrist and socially liberal college educated whites, suburbanites and upscale minorities. The northern strategy as you called it.

Hell you even saw this with Christopher Hitchens. A self described Marxist and anti-theist who sided with the neoconservatives on the Iraq war because stopping the spread of what he called "islamofascism" was more important.

Um, with all due respect, have you ever spent considerable time in a WWC area? The people in those kinds of communities are almost exactly how Bannon's Brigade described the irreligious social conservatives. The kinds that only go to church when it's convenient (Ash Wednesday, Christmas, and Easter). This is true across the Midwest, and the Northeast. College-educated people tend to have higher rates of church attendance by far. Paradoxically, they're also more secular than WWC's as a whole, but I would also say somewhat more religious and spiritual than the WWC. It's just that the college educated people who go to church tend to not be the "once-a-year" types.

WWC people are more socially conservative than college educated whites.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/religion-and-education-explain-the-white-vote/amp/
In New England at least, Catholics who attend weekly mass are usually more liberal, unless you attend a Traditional High or Low Mass. Many Catholics who attend are usually college educated women who are widowed or 40-65 years old. Many of these people are pious but they are often like Pope Francis, many are liberal Republicans who hate Trump's views on immigration and his comments on groping. At least from my experience, Catholics who are WWC and attend mass not as often as their college educated counterparts, tend to be more Trumpian and socially conservative. A good example of this is a kid in my Boy Scout troop, whose family owns an auto body shop. They are Catholic WWCs' who attend mass sometimes, but they also are the largest Trump supporters I know.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2017, 06:28:41 PM »

This is why I predict that the types of atheists who go out of their way to argue with religious people will become Republicans.  Ten years ago their hatred was focused on rural conservatives.  Today their hatred is often focused on immigrants (especially Muslims).

This what I think will start happening over these next couple decades as well. A realignment that positions the democrats as the Party of working class whites and minorities would effectively position the GOP as being the more secular, nonreligious Party in order to appeal to fiscally centrist and socially liberal college educated whites, suburbanites and upscale minorities. The northern strategy as you called it.

Hell you even saw this with Christopher Hitchens. A self described Marxist and anti-theist who sided with the neoconservatives on the Iraq war because stopping the spread of what he called "islamofascism" was more important.

Um, with all due respect, have you ever spent considerable time in a WWC area? The people in those kinds of communities are almost exactly how Bannon's Brigade described the irreligious social conservatives. The kinds that only go to church when it's convenient (Ash Wednesday, Christmas, and Easter). This is true across the Midwest, and the Northeast. College-educated people tend to have higher rates of church attendance by far. Paradoxically, they're also more secular than WWC's as a whole, but I would also say somewhat more religious and spiritual than the WWC. It's just that the college educated people who go to church tend to not be the "once-a-year" types.

WWC people are more socially conservative than college educated whites.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/religion-and-education-explain-the-white-vote/amp/
In New England at least, Catholics who attend weekly mass are usually more liberal, unless you attend a Traditional High or Low Mass. Many Catholics who attend are usually college educated women who are widowed or 40-65 years old. Many of these people are pious but they are often like Pope Francis, many are liberal Republicans who hate Trump's views on immigration and his comments on groping. At least from my experience, Catholics who are WWC and attend mass not as often as their college educated counterparts, tend to be more Trumpian and socially conservative. A good example of this is a kid in my Boy Scout troop, whose family owns an auto body shop. They are Catholic WWCs' who attend mass sometimes, but they also are the largest Trump supporters I know.

This might be why a lot of the younger online conservatives I've come across are much more secular and non religious. If anything it's the liberals of generation z that strike me as being more pious. Although you still encounter the typical liberal atheist or Christian conservative with these kids, but they're much more nuanced compared to older Americans.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2017, 06:35:56 PM »

it's kind of premature to say right now...most gen Zers are still in middle/high school
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2017, 08:29:20 PM »

How reliable is this Hispanic "Heritage Foundation"? What exactly were the break-up of the questions? Were they biased or loaded questions? What about the breakup of the sample size etc? Hillary/Trump is not a great example with 2 hated candidates.

I think people are over-reacting when it comes to this survey. Wait & see the actual results in 2020 & see if the 18-24 & 18-29 group is worse for the Dem party than 2016 & then take a call.

I certainly don't buy this !
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies