NYM: Democrats’ Best Bet for 2018: Accentuate the Negative
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:25:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYM: Democrats’ Best Bet for 2018: Accentuate the Negative
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYM: Democrats’ Best Bet for 2018: Accentuate the Negative  (Read 138 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2017, 08:14:27 PM »

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/democrats-best-bet-for-2018-accentuate-the-negative.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I feel inclined to agree with this assessment. Democrats for sure need a good message in 2020, but as like midterms before, 2018 will indeed (and is already shaping up quite blatantly to) be a referendum on Trump and Republicans. The presidency has always tended to suck the oxygen out of the room, and without an actual presidential race, this still leaves opinions of the president's administration and their party at the forefront of people's minds when they go to vote. Democrats should have a message, but the best strategy is most likely to hit Republicans hard (and intelligently) for Trump's poor decisions and scandals.

Given the level of animosity within the Democratic Party between Bernie supporters and more establishment-minded people, I think it's prudent that Democrats settle on a strategy that doesn't obsess over irrelevant actions. One of these I think would be to put too much emphasis on the party's own message and whether it is "sufficiently liberal and/or economically populist enough." I can already see 18 months worth of intense arguing over something that people will ultimately not even hear and/or care about.

This was also something I liked:

Thoughts?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 08:25:15 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2017, 08:28:16 PM by J_American »

Midterms are always referendums on the party in the White House; I definitely concur with the author on that point. So Democrats should obviously focus on the negatives of that party and Trump's Presidency. And considering Trump's narcissism, he'll simply make it easier for Democrats to turn it into referendum on his administration as he'll spend months attacking them and campaigning.

At the same time Democrats need to know which aspects of his failed agenda to emphasize. If they run on Russia and Trump's rhetoric alone, they'll underperform. They need to go populist and blast him as a sellout of the working class then tie him to the Congressional GOP; paint them as sellouts to Wall Street, irresponsible with the deficit and taxes, that they threatened (or eliminated) insurance for millions of Americans, target particularly bad scandals, and demonstrate their incompetence. The best thing Democrats could possibly do is show that Trump's "Everyman" campaign was a ruse.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 08:37:50 PM »

Midterms are always referendums on the party in the White House; I definitely concur with the author on that point. So Democrats should obviously focus on the negatives of that party and Trump's Presidency. And considering Trump's narcissism, he'll simply make it easier for Democrats to turn it into referendum on his administration as he'll spend months attacking them and campaigning.

At the same time Democrats need to know which aspects of his failed agenda to emphasize. If they run on Russia and Trump's rhetoric alone, they'll underperform. They need to go populist and blast him as a sellout of the working class then tie him to the Congressional GOP; paint them as sellouts to Wall Street, irresponsible with the deficit and taxes, that they threatened (or eliminated) insurance for millions of Americans, target particularly bad scandals, and demonstrate their incompetence. The best thing Democrats could possibly do is show that Trump's "Everyman" campaign was a ruse.
^^^this^^^. The path in 2018 is attack Trump over tax cuts for the rich, Mar-a-lago, golfing, and his pro-Wall Street policies
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies