It is ontologically impossible for "But Trump" to be a reason to be nominated
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:31:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  It is ontologically impossible for "But Trump" to be a reason to be nominated
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It is ontologically impossible for "But Trump" to be a reason to be nominated  (Read 561 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2017, 11:40:21 PM »

Let me explain. Too often lame celebrity candidates or backbenchers are being mentioned, then dismissed by some people, but the retort amounts to essentially "but Trump". "Oh but you probably never thought Trump was going to be nominated too, right?" I've seen this about every celebrity candidate as well as backbenchers like Tulsi Gabbard.

Here's why it's impossible:

Let's first take someone like Kanye West. A lot of people are skeptical of him winning the nomination and making points that it's absurd to expect blacks and Millennials to flock to him. But here's how the argument often goes:

Person A: Kanye West isn't winning the nomination, he's ass kissed Trump a lot, most blacks and Millennials actually don't care about him, he's not going to do any good in fundraising, etc.
Person B: Ah but Trump. Like you seriously never expected him to be nominated or win I bet either, right? Underestimate Kanye West and he wins the nomination just like Trump did.

Now let's imagine someone talking about Mark Zuckerberg:

Person A: Mark Zuckerberg has a nasty reputation, most people don't like how he's ran his product even if they use it, it's tough to imagine any demographics in the Democratic primary who'll rally about him, he's obviously not going to appeal much to Hillary's minorities or Bernie's liberal activists, tough to see a path to nomination for him.
Person B: Ah but Trump. Like you seriously never expected him to be nominated or win I bet either, right? Underestimate Zuckerberg and he wins the nomination just like Trump did.

OK now do you see why this is impossible? Because it's not possible for BOTH Mark Zuckerberg and Kanye West to win the nomination. Clearly the Trump logic isn't going to work for someone.

Also I have to also be a tad skeptical of the logic that Trump's victory means that the Democratic primary in 2020 is guaranteed to turn out the exact same way and that means that the victor of their party's primary is ALWAYS going to be some underestimated celebrity or whatever. And you might say "But no one's saying that", but it's implied, if you can only claim some candidate will be the nominee with "but Trump" and not address any of the other issues brought up about their likeliness, you're effectively claiming this to be the case. That's like saying Obama couldn't be nominated in 2008 because he's black or Mitt Romney couldn't be nominated in 2012 because he's Mormon or Hillary couldn't be nominated in 2016 because she's a woman. Actually it's even dumber than all of those, because someone like Trump was nominated in ONE election while no one in those categories was ever nominated in any election in the past. Every election is different so try to rely on something other than this type of pop culture #analysis.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 11:47:23 PM »

The logic involved is quite specious, but I don't think people seriously mean to imply that underestimating [random celebrity] will guarantee that person wins.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 11:58:38 PM »

The logic involved is quite specious, but I don't think people seriously mean to imply that underestimating [random celebrity] will guarantee that person wins.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The day mainstream Democrats write off Gabbard is the day she wins the nomination.

Just one example. (Not a celebrity but a candidate many are skeptical of.)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 01:27:37 AM »

But Trump.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies