Who is worse: intersectionalists or TERFs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:51:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who is worse: intersectionalists or TERFs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who is worse: intersectionalists or TERFs?
intersectionalists

TERFs

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Who is worse: intersectionalists or TERFs?  (Read 3691 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 03:21:02 PM »

Both terms are one step up from completely meaningless.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 03:24:52 PM »

What Famous Mortimer said.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 03:25:18 PM »

I am very, very confused by this thread.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 07:36:29 PM »

Even in it's literal form, intersectionalism kind of falls flat in so many respects for me. For example, under it you'd have to either accept that Milo Yiannopoulos is not a bigot, or that he is but he's truly just another victim of the patriarchy deep down. It doesn't make any sense.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 07:37:29 PM »

Even in it's literal form, intersectionalism kind of falls flat in so many respects for me. For example, under it you'd have to either accept that Milo Yiannopoulos is not a bigot, or that he is but he's truly just another victim of the patriarchy deep down. It doesn't make any sense.
What
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 07:58:35 PM »

TERFs are nothing more than hopelessly single radfems who live in their Manhattan apartment with 10 cats.

"Intersectionalists," on the other hand, are crazy.  "I'm a WOMAN, so I DEFINITELY have less privilege than you!"  "You try being a gay black man!  You have to worry about being shot by the police AND being discriminated against by homophobes!" "Well, I'm a trigender Polynesian lesbian vegan Buddhist woman!  I face hared from everyone!"
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 07:59:25 PM »

What

Because he's gay.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 08:02:54 PM »

TERFs are nothing more than hopelessly single radfems who live in their Manhattan apartment with 10 cats.

"Intersectionalists," on the other hand, are crazy.  "I'm a WOMAN, so I DEFINITELY have less privilege than you!"  "You try being a gay black man!  You have to worry about being shot by the police AND being discriminated against by homophobes!" "Well, I'm a trigender Polynesian lesbian vegan Buddhist woman!  I face hared from everyone!"

You have no idea what intersectionality is do you.  Just the bile that is feed to you by right wing networks.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 08:10:09 PM »

What

Because he's gay.
No one's claiming that.  Gay people can be misogynistic or racists just like straight people.

And this 'victim of patriarchy' isn't an excuse. Sure, he's been negatively affected by it, but you can't hand wave racism and pederasty because of society.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 08:15:49 PM »

Wait, intersectionalism is considered bad by people who aren't right-wingers? I thought that just meant acknowledging that different forms of discrimination can overlap with each other.

That's what it means in theory but in practice it means complaining about white people wearing hoop earrings or dreadlocks or eating Chinese food.

Why do we need to let those people ruin the concept of intersectionality for the rest of us?

Sadly, as is the case with many ideologies, the craziest ones are often the most vocal, and garner the most attention.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 12:06:40 AM »

My understanding is that "TERFs" are so indoctrinated in the whole muh patriarchy privilege causes ALL problems bs that they honestly believe that any male to female trans case is caused by a sexual fetish because why else would an evil parasite willingly give up their magical privilege power? Female to male trans are just viewed as poor oppressed souls who mistakenly think they can obtain magical privilege powers because of evil patriarchy rape culture programming.

Meanwhile normal people understand that not everything MUST be caused by some broad vague boogey man that can never be beaten. I really dont see why its so hard for a group that thinks men are the devil by blood to not understand why some of those devils might rather be angels also becauseof blood. In a lot of ways it validates their cause, it just undermines their original sin bs. Thankfully they are just a small fringe subset of a small fringe subset.

At this point, TERF is just a term for people who don't believe transwomen should count as women.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »

What

Because he's gay.

Intersectionality only cares about women/minorities/LGBT so long as they agree with intersectionality. Going against it gets you punted right off the progressive stack.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 01:03:50 AM »

Intersectionalists are usually too touchy feely and can be very annoying (Plus intersectionality is a silly idea) but TERFs are extremely nasty with no redeeming qualities at all.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 09:44:02 AM »

My understanding is that "TERFs" are so indoctrinated in the whole muh patriarchy privilege causes ALL problems bs that they honestly believe that any male to female trans case is caused by a sexual fetish because why else would an evil parasite willingly give up their magical privilege power? Female to male trans are just viewed as poor oppressed souls who mistakenly think they can obtain magical privilege powers because of evil patriarchy rape culture programming.

Meanwhile normal people understand that not everything MUST be caused by some broad vague boogey man that can never be beaten. I really dont see why its so hard for a group that thinks men are the devil by blood to not understand why some of those devils might rather be angels also becauseof blood. In a lot of ways it validates their cause, it just undermines their original sin bs. Thankfully they are just a small fringe subset of a small fringe subset.

At this point, TERF is just a term for people who don't believe transwomen should count as women.

That very well may be the common meaning now. My limited interaction with the term has referred specifically to those who dont believe transwomen should count as women specifically because it contradicts their own hyper feminist patriarchy privilege power theories. I feel like jerry falwell jr wouldnt accept the label of trans exclusionary  radical feminist just because he happens to hate the same people.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies