Health care a "privilege" - owning guns a "right" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:17:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Health care a "privilege" - owning guns a "right" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Health care a "privilege" - owning guns a "right"  (Read 3314 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: March 13, 2017, 02:08:17 PM »

And I'm not especially fond of the "rights" argument in the first place: There's a more compelling case in treating taking care of one another as a moral obligation that we meet in part through government action

Those two things are not mutually exclusive. The whole concept of positive rights exists to connect them.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That sounds awfully eww-tilitarian to me.

But yeah, that cartoon is dumb.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 06:29:59 PM »

Invoking positive rights tends to confuse people or lead to tangential arguments, so I've learned to avoid it.

I'd wager that finding positive rights confusing might be a typically American problem. In Europe the idea that rights aren't necessarily just "stuff the government should leave me alone about" is pretty widely accepted. Unfortunately America still has a hard time moving past naive 18th century liberalism in its political thinking.

But better health for whom? If person A is healthy, why should they care that person B (who might be from a different social class, gender, race, etc.) is sick? If mere instinctive compassion were enough, we wouldn't be having these discussions to begin with. You can't answer this question without some kind of moral framework.

I highly doubt that much good will come out of US healthcare policy as long as this assumption is maintained.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies