Female politician proposes law to fine men $100 for masturbating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:00:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Female politician proposes law to fine men $100 for masturbating
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Female politician proposes law to fine men $100 for masturbating  (Read 3490 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2017, 01:19:29 PM »

Female politician proposes law to fine men $100 for masturbating as 'act against an unborn child'

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:04:30 PM »

Damn we're gonna get RICH!!!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 03:06:20 PM »

FF legislation.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 03:12:28 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »

This is actually decent political theater-take note Preet.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 05:39:08 PM »

This is a category error, but I still support it (moderate Smiley Smiley Smiley FF).
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »

The Church does say masturbation is just as immoral as gay sex, or non-vaginal sex (even with a straight married couple), for this very reason.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »

This is actually decent political theater-take note Preet.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 07:06:46 PM »

The Church does say masturbation is just as immoral as gay sex, or non-vaginal sex (even with a straight married couple), for this very reason.

I'll let TJ or somebody parse out the good points and bad points of this assertion.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 07:56:28 PM »

I'll let TJ or somebody parse out the good points and bad points of this assertion.
I should have included condoms and similar birth control too.

The theology boils down to: all sexual acts must be "open to life."

I took Catholic theology for 4 years, and other religious studies classes in college.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 08:01:16 PM »

Mega-endorsed! America continues to move in the appropriate direction under Trump.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »

I took Catholic theology for 4 years, and other religious studies classes in college.

What concerned me is that, given the issue that the proposed law is obviously in reference to, it seemed like you were implying that "this very reason" is the same reason given for the Church's opposition to abortion, which it isn't. Nobody seriously argues that masturbation or gay sex or using a condom is homicidal.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »

The problem with this kind of argument is that pro lifers don't see the abortion argument in these terms. Nobody on the right is going "Yes crush women's rights woohoo", they see it as almost murder.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »

I honestly thought this was true until reading the post. Good satire.

What about sex with post-menopausal women?

The problem with this kind of argument is that pro lifers don't see the abortion argument in these terms. Nobody on the right is going "Yes crush women's rights woohoo", they see it as almost murder.

Vehement opposition to abortion is strongly correlated with wanting to control women on other levels. While the right tries to frame the abortion issue as the right to life of the fetus, given their lack of respect for other women's rights/human rights issues, it is likely that the right tries to hide their anti-woman desires, to claim to be pro-fetus rather than anti-woman.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 11:00:37 PM »

This is very true, but we on the pro-life side frankly have an equally outrage perception of feminism and the significance behind the choice-nobody wants to have an abortion (besides Lena Dunham at least), and the patient is as big a victim in the procedure as the fetus.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 11:06:01 PM »

About time someone took a stand.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 11:07:01 PM »

Vehement opposition to abortion is strongly correlated with wanting to control women on other levels. While the right tries to frame the abortion issue as the right to life of the fetus, given their lack of respect for other women's rights/human rights issues, it is likely that the right tries to hide their anti-woman desires, to claim to be pro-fetus rather than anti-woman.

In other words, assume the worst about your political opponents. I'm sure there are some pro-lifers who just really hate women and want to punish them, but my experience with them indicates to me that this notion of "pro-life being anti-woman" is broadly speaking a left-wing fiction.
Trapsy

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 11:14:36 PM »

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 11:39:29 PM »

Looks like the Texas Dems have their next Gubernatorial nominee!
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 12:09:53 AM »

What concerned me is that, given the issue that the proposed law is obviously in reference to, it seemed like you were implying that "this very reason" is the same reason given for the Church's opposition to abortion, which it isn't. Nobody seriously argues that masturbation or gay sex or using a condom is homicidal.

I specifically did not say abortion.

This is a stand making fun of the anti-birth-control stances of religious conservatives.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 06:30:43 AM »

In other words, assume the worst about your political opponents. I'm sure there are some pro-lifers who just really hate women and want to punish them, but my experience with them indicates to me that this notion of "pro-life being anti-woman" is broadly speaking a left-wing fiction.

Yes. Especially as polling suggests that women aren't particularly more likely to be pro-choice than men. And I don't think internalised misogyny can explain it away.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 01:00:39 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 01:49:05 PM »

Let's the state decide.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 01:49:16 PM »

Yes. Especially as polling suggests that women aren't particularly more likely to be pro-choice than men. And I don't think internalised misogyny can explain it away.

Internalized misogyny bothers me as an explanation for much of anything. It certainly does exist, but most times I see it being brought up is to dismiss women who do not believe that they are being oppressed.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 02:30:24 PM »

I think there's something to the idea that men and women often have at least somewhat different reasons for being pro-life, and that men's reasons are often a lot less noble that women's--which would obviously mean, among other things, that I ought to be extra-careful about my own motivations--but, if true, I don't really know that that could be measured.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies