Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:34:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 78
Author Topic: Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)  (Read 172289 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: July 23, 2017, 08:47:22 PM »

I doubt McConnell intends to actually pass a 2015 repeal bill. This is all a gambit on his part to get a passing MTP vote. If a MTP passes, it doesn't mean they're going to pass something, but it means McConnell lives to fight another day on healthcare and GOP senators face greatly increased pressure. His tactic is probably to convince Paul, Lee, and Moran that they are voting on the 2015 repeal, and convince Murkowski and Capito that they are voting on BCRA 2.0. I believe the only current overlap in public opposition to both is Collins. It's a lot of ifs, but the perfect mixture of malice, gullibility, arrogance, and ignorance could provide a passing vote on the MTP.

What does MTP stand for? 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #651 on: July 23, 2017, 08:50:05 PM »

I doubt McConnell intends to actually pass a 2015 repeal bill. This is all a gambit on his part to get a passing MTP vote. If a MTP passes, it doesn't mean they're going to pass something, but it means McConnell lives to fight another day on healthcare and GOP senators face greatly increased pressure. His tactic is probably to convince Paul, Lee, and Moran that they are voting on the 2015 repeal, and convince Murkowski and Capito that they are voting on BCRA 2.0. I believe the only current overlap in public opposition to both is Collins. It's a lot of ifs, but the perfect mixture of malice, gullibility, arrogance, and ignorance could provide a passing vote on the MTP.

What does MTP stand for? 

Motion to Proceed
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #652 on: July 23, 2017, 09:21:06 PM »

So, what do you think the odds are that no Obamacare replacement is passed before the Midterms?

Right now, approximately 85% is my conservative estimate.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #653 on: July 24, 2017, 08:17:08 AM »

Former Sen. David Durenburger (R-MN, 1978-1995) urges Senators to vote No on MTP. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/07/24/gop-senators-dont-approve-mystery-health-bill-david-durenberger-column/502976001/
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #654 on: July 24, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »

Last major prediction. Pence will look like a President-in-waiting as a result of this. He's collected major credit among the Congressional GOP for his lobbying, his wooing, and appears like a very strong potential GOP President.

Interesting, because it seems like Pence came across as ineffective in his happy-faced lying about Trumpcare at the National Governors' Association conference—admittedly with an impossible job.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #655 on: July 24, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »

Assuming McCain would vote yes but can't make it there to actually do it, is there any chance he resigns and allows the AZ gov to send a replacement? If/when McCain is ready to come back, the replacement could resign and the governor could appoint McCain back to the seat.

And/or is there any chance Republican leaders are pushing for this behind the scenes?

If it was a Democratic senator in this situation and the state had a D gov, I would be demanding this to happen.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #656 on: July 24, 2017, 12:02:19 PM »

Assuming McCain would vote yes but can't make it there to actually do it, is there any chance he resigns and allows the AZ gov to send a replacement? If/when McCain is ready to come back, the replacement could resign and the governor could appoint McCain back to the seat.

And/or is there any chance Republican leaders are pushing for this behind the scenes?

If it was a Democratic senator in this situation and the state had a D gov, I would be demanding this to happen.

McCain doesn't seem to be a fan of the bill.  Simply not voting may be a good solution for him.  I posted this the other day:

McCain may be a no:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Gov. Ducey supports repealing the ACA, but has expressed objections to the Senate bill:

Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #657 on: July 24, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »

If that happened, then McCain's status changes from elected senator to appointed senator, requiring him into run in a 2018 special election to keep the seat.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #658 on: July 24, 2017, 12:12:11 PM »

If that happened, then McCain's status changes from elected senator to appointed senator, requiring him into run in a 2018 special election to keep the seat.

He would also lose seniority. He's currently in office since 1987. That would change to 2017 or 2018. Even newcomers like Kamala Harris or James Lenkford would gain seniority over McCain in such a scenario. Pretty unlikely.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #659 on: July 24, 2017, 12:22:50 PM »

So?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #660 on: July 24, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »

He would also lose seniority. He's currently in office since 1987. That would change to 2017 or 2018. Even newcomers like Kamala Harris or James Lenkford would gain seniority over McCain in such a scenario. Pretty unlikely.

The party leader can grant or remove seniority at will. McConnell would certainly make an accomdation for McCain in this scenario.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #661 on: July 24, 2017, 12:42:43 PM »

So?

If 2018 is a D wave, McCain could lose reelection, which Rs obviously don't want.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #662 on: July 24, 2017, 01:03:54 PM »

Less than 24 hours and we still have no idea what the Senate will be voting to open debate on.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #663 on: July 24, 2017, 01:38:47 PM »

Good response:

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #664 on: July 24, 2017, 02:30:15 PM »

Solomon Ortiz Jr please end this in 2018

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #665 on: July 24, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »

The clowns over at HFC looking to gut the CBO for using facts:

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #666 on: July 24, 2017, 03:39:35 PM »

It definitely isn't now.
Higgins
« Reply #667 on: July 24, 2017, 03:43:04 PM »

Paul Ryan isn't a Catholic. He worships Ayn Rand.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #668 on: July 24, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »

Murkowski and Collins are being reported as no votes.

Links? I don't know if I've seen a definitive statement from Murkowski recently.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #669 on: July 24, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »

Murkowski and Collins are being reported as no votes.

Links? I don't know if I've seen a definitive statement from Murkowski recently.

Collins is definite, I've recently seen Murkowski as an undecided.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #670 on: July 24, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »

Apparently McCain is flying in for the vote?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #671 on: July 24, 2017, 04:22:20 PM »

Apparently McCain is flying in for the vote?

Cornyn said they may try to get McCain to DC in time if they get approval from his doctor.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #672 on: July 24, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »

It seriously looks like they're going to hold a vote on a MTP for something they know nothing about. This is crazy.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #673 on: July 24, 2017, 04:41:59 PM »

Rumors of Murkowski being a no vote.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/889598565600952320
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #674 on: July 24, 2017, 05:00:07 PM »

Some rumors they are. That link leads to a page that doesn't exist.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies