Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:46:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 78
Author Topic: Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)  (Read 171109 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »

The deficit projection makes me a bit nervous.  I think Republicans just might rally behind it now, despite its problems.

This bill may just make potential FFs out of unlikely Senators:

Dave Weigel‏ @daveweigel  1m1 minute ago
Sen. Cassidy not impressed by cost savings seen by CBO: "Society is going to pay for health care whether it's through insurance or not."
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2017, 04:57:26 PM by heatcharger »

I don't know why I thought Trump and Ryan were politically savvy enough to leave Medicaid relatively untouched until after 2019. Not smart! I think the reality of any healthcare reform moving forward is that anything short of a public option or single-payer will have bad uninsured numbers.

I'm interested to see if Trump predictably shouts "FAKE NEWS!" at this report, or instead, he throws Ryan under the bus and says "It wasn't my plan folks, we've got a tremendous healthcare bill coming up and it will be unbelievable. Obamacare has been a total disaster and is getting worse and worse." This way he might buy himself more time, which probably leads to Republicans failing to do anything about Obamacare other than maybe pushing to open up state borders.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »

If this is passed through reconciliation, it means that technically, the ACA still stands on the books, right? I don't see how they can repeal something with 50 votes that took 60 votes to pass, unless there is a change of procedure.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 05:05:23 PM »

Schumer and Ryan have very different responses:

Ryan:

Paul Ryan is seriously a low life fuk boy

It was never Republican intentions to ensure more Americans receive health insurance coverage, only that the cost of premiums, the cost of health insurance for the average American, and the burden of cost to tax payers decreases. Technically this plan meets those criteria. So as far as most Republicans are concerned, yes, this is a success. It's not a Republican goal to expand coverage or ensure access to healthcare as a right; those are Democratic goals.

Except Trump said that no Americans would lose coverage under an Obamacare repeal.

Trump says a great many things. Virtually none of them are true.

Part of his normalization is the loss of outrage at the fact that his delusional oral emissions have only tangential contact with reality.

Trumpism poses a difficult challenge, because it is not enough to oppose and politically fight it. We also have to keep pushing back against the sewage tsunami that is the modern GOP.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 06:01:07 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2017, 06:07:26 PM by 0% Approval Rating »

"It means more people covered than are covered right now and at an average cost that is less, and I believe we can firmly do that with the plan that we laid out there."

- HHS Secretary Tom Price when asked on NBC's "Meet The Press" how he would define a successful AHCA, 03/12/17

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 06:29:42 PM »

If this is passed through reconciliation, it means that technically, the ACA still stands on the books, right? I don't see how they can repeal something with 50 votes that took 60 votes to pass, unless there is a change of procedure.

If it is passed via reconciliation, then that means features such as people staying on their parent's plan until 26, the preexisting condition provisions, etc, will all stay on the books. This is part of the problem for the GOP - they are trying to craft a replacement that accommodates these things but still delivers on their policy goals, namely tax cuts for the wealthy. It's proving impossible for them to find consensus among their ranks as to what to pass.

If they really intend to push anything like this, then I have to say, I underestimated their ability for awfully stupid decision making. Not only is this bad for American people, but it will be political suicide for their party come 2018 and 2020. Wreaking this kind of carnage on people's healthcare coverage is exactly what Democrats need to sweep the GOP out of power across the country.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 06:34:48 PM »

Now take those savings and buy some more Raptors.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 07:29:53 PM »

Great plan for a great country.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »

RIP, CBO.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 09:55:46 PM »

Wow, the White House's own analysis projects 26 million more uninsured by 2026, even greater than that of the CBO score.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/obamacare-uninsured-white-house-236019
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2017, 10:04:05 PM »

How many people enrolled under Obamacare?  It sounds like this is just getting us back to pre-Obamacare levels.

24 million people losing coverage is a bad thing no matter how you spin it. Obamacare should be made better and amended, not destroyed.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2017, 10:05:45 PM »

Oh look, right on cue:

"They should abolish the Congressional Budget Office. It is corrupt. It is dishonest."
-Newt Gingrich

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/323811-gingrich-corrupt-cbo-should-be-abolished
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2017, 10:15:53 PM »

the daily reminder how much breitbart hates this thing without bashing Trump:

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 10:18:54 PM »

"Nobody will be worse off"-Tom Price
"Nobody's going to be dying on the street if I'm President."-Donald Trump
"We're going to have insurance for everybody."-Donald Trump
"will broaden healthcare access, make healthcare more affordable and improve the quality of  care available to all Americans."-Trump 2016 website on Trump's healthcare plan
"You're going to have plans that are so good.."-Donald Trump at the first debate
"I was the first&only GOP candidate to state there would be no cuts to Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid."-2015 Trump tweet
Trump broke his promises. We must break him.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2017, 01:06:46 AM »

Oh look, right on cue:

"They should abolish the Congressional Budget Office. It is corrupt. It is dishonest."
-Newt Gingrich

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/323811-gingrich-corrupt-cbo-should-be-abolished

This kind of damage is irreversible. At least we can count on Paul Ryan to stick up for the agencies right?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2017, 01:23:51 AM »

How many people enrolled under Obamacare?  It sounds like this is just getting us back to pre-Obamacare levels.

24 million people losing coverage is a bad thing no matter how you spin it. Obamacare should be made better and amended, not destroyed.

By "better" do you mean by raising the upper middle class's taxes more? 

We could probably get every single person in the U.S. on by simply raising taxes.  The Fed. Gov. has to make tough choices and balance everyone's interests.  Doctor's don't work for free so we simply need to find a reasonable balance.

By better I mean not stripping millions of their coverage. The AHCA is class warfare, a brutal attack on the poor, old and sick, who could lose coverage or have their premiums go up by 750%, and a giveaway to the young, rich and healthy who do not need help. Why are you even a Democrat if you support such an awful plan?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2017, 01:58:46 AM »

Let's talk about her emails some more!
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2017, 02:03:49 AM »

We could probably get every single person in the U.S. on by simply raising taxes.  The Fed. Gov. has to make tough choices and balance everyone's interests.  Doctor's don't work for free so we simply need to find a reasonable balance.

By better I mean not stripping millions of their coverage. The AHCA is class warfare, a brutal attack on the poor, old and sick, who could lose coverage or have their premiums go up by 750%, and a giveaway to the young, rich and healthy who do not need help. Why are you even a Democrat if you support such an awful plan?

Because I was against the Iraq War.
I'm for gay marriage.
I'm sort of for abortion.
I generally believe in civil liberties.
Generally support minority rights.
Generally against a police state.
I'm ok with reasonable environmental regulations.
I don't like Donald Trump's attack on the media.

Though, this board does make me question why I am a Democrat.  I find most of the democrats here to espouse pretty pathetic political views.  It's sad that we have such crappy political choices in this country.

Re: the Obamacare/AHCA thing.  I support going back to what we had before this Obamacare mess started... a position that was fine for a long time in this country.

NO IT WASN'T, YOU AWFUL TRASH THATCHERITE SCUM.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2017, 02:15:29 AM »

I'm for gay marriage.

Though, this board does make me question why I am a Democrat.  I find most of the democrats here to espouse pretty pathetic political views.  It's sad that we have such crappy political choices in this country.

Re: the Obamacare/AHCA thing.  I support going back to what we had before this Obamacare mess started... a position that was fine for a long time in this country.

You have no place to criticize anyone else's views as pathetic when you call America's healthcare system "fine", especially pre-ACA.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2017, 04:41:24 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 07:47:46 AM by 0% Approval Rating »

Donald Trump will undoubtedly make the claim soon that CBO Director Keith Hall was "appointed by Obama", despite the fact that the Director of the CBO is appointed by the Speaker of the House (in this case, John Boehner), despite the fact that Hall was also appointed Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor Statistics by George W. Bush, and despite the fact that Hall served on the White House Council of Economic Advisers during the Bush 43 administration.

It won't matter how close his ties to the Republican Party were in the past, he has now proven his disloyalty to the Trumpster.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2017, 04:43:35 AM »

I'm for gay marriage.

You have no place to criticize anyone else's views as pathetic when you call America's healthcare system "fine", especially pre-ACA.

America's healthcare system is fine.  We do not need a full on welfare state and the people who demand one and then call anyone who disagrees with this "elitist scum" do have pathetic views.

lol rich person obviously fycking knows everything, when he hasn't experienced the horrors of the healthcare system.  Thank god I'm not in the US anymore.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2017, 01:50:04 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 02:04:54 PM by 0% Approval Rating »

Sen. Bill Cassidy:

"That's not what President Trump promised."

"You have to have an umpire, even if the umpire occasionally gets it wrong, because otherwise you are only accepting analysis by people with motivations define certain answers, and so I am very reluctant to disregard what the CBO score is."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/14/politics/bill-cassidy-senate-health-care-reaction/index.html

A refreshingly honest assessment from a GOPer.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »

There was nothing "fine" about 40-50 million people being uninsured. People that say otherwise don't understand what they are talking about.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2017, 02:07:15 PM »

Republicans should just leave Obamacare alone and focus on jobs, taxes, crime, immigration. Obamacare is just too complicated. Health care reform needs to be strengthened in some aspects, but just leave Obamacare alone and talk about job creation.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »

By giving the GOP the Senate, presidency, and House, the American electorate voted for a repeal and replacement of Obamacare. Ryan's bill ain't it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies