Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:01:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 78
Author Topic: Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)  (Read 171067 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: July 20, 2017, 04:35:33 PM »

What is the whip count for even starting debate at this point?  Do they even have a bill with 50 votes?

They said they don't know the whip count

So, they are just voting to open up debate with no bill in mind, just to say "We want something to be done".

At this point McConnell just wants to hold a vote. If it passes, great. If it fails, it brings closure to the issue and allows the senate to move on.

Basically, just a vote on whether or not to continue negotiations or give up?

Yes

So does this vote require 60 or 50?

As it will be on a bill that falls within reconciliation, 50.

I was under the impression that full repeal didn't fall within the rules of reconciliation, as some aspects of Obamacare didn't have to do with budget. I'm confused as hell about what this motion to proceed is even regarding.

Well, full and clean repeal wouldn't. But the bill they passed in 2015 wasn't full repeal, it was "repeal as much as we can under reconcillation", and it seems like they are voting on that.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #601 on: July 20, 2017, 04:47:20 PM »

What is the whip count for even starting debate at this point?  Do they even have a bill with 50 votes?

So, they are just voting to open up debate with no bill in mind, just to say "We want something to be done".

At this point McConnell just wants to hold a vote. If it passes, great. If it fails, it brings closure to the issue and allows the senate to move on.

Yes

I was under the impression that full repeal didn't fall within the rules of reconciliation, as some aspects of Obamacare didn't have to do with budget. I'm confused as hell about what this motion to proceed is even regarding.

Well, full and clean repeal wouldn't. But the bill they passed in 2015 wasn't full repeal, it was "repeal as much as we can under reconcillation", and it seems like they are voting on that.

Which makes it worse than if we had done nothing in the first place!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #602 on: July 20, 2017, 04:55:35 PM »

With McCain's long-term absence, it only takes 2 GOP nos to kill the bill, right? Or will he still be voting somehow?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #603 on: July 20, 2017, 04:58:21 PM »

With McCain's long-term absence, it only takes 2 GOP nos to kill the bill, right?

Yes
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #604 on: July 20, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »

Yes

Well technically it will be a MTP to that bill, so there will be opportunity for amendment, etc. afterward if it passes.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #605 on: July 20, 2017, 05:44:59 PM »

Yes

Well technically it will be a MTP to that bill, so there will be opportunity for amendment, etc. afterward if it passes.

Then again, the bill could be any bill for that.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #606 on: July 20, 2017, 06:56:43 PM »

At this point, Portman and Heller arent the people to look at. Capito and Murkowski are.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #607 on: July 20, 2017, 07:01:56 PM »

You guys sure this is dead...sounds like these lowlifes are changing their minds:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Seriously? He's optimistic about a bill that would rip away health insurance from 22 million people?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #608 on: July 20, 2017, 07:06:21 PM »

At this point, Portman and Heller arent the people to look at. Capito and Murkowski are.

I have zero faith in Capito

I have more faith in her than I really should. West Virginia will be hit harder than any other state if the  Medicaid cuts go through.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #609 on: July 20, 2017, 07:18:10 PM »

I still don't understand why so many Republicans are trying so hard to pass something that would be political suicide.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #610 on: July 20, 2017, 07:33:24 PM »

actually Flake is my sleeper pick to have problems in both primary and general. He won AZ by just 5 points in the 2012 election despite Romney winning Arizona by 10. This was for a GOP held seat and it was an open seat but still. Flake had been a House member. So actually I think Jeffry has more problems than just a primary. He's probably facing in the midterms the same type of electorate that he faced in 2012 (where he didn't clear a majority of the electorate, by the way).

He can / will probably win but I am also saying it might be close in both.

I don't think that's a sleeper pick - Flake is not an electable guy.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #611 on: July 20, 2017, 10:05:02 PM »

I'll admit that I may have prematurely titled the thread before (about the bill being dead). There is a way that McConnell can still theoretically get this done, but everything would have to go right for him in order for that to happen. It certainly appears very unlikely, but it's not over over until they officially move on.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #612 on: July 21, 2017, 06:16:31 AM »

I'll admit that I may have prematurely titled the thread before (about the bill being dead). There is a way that McConnell can still theoretically get this done, but everything would have to go right for him in order for that to happen. It certainly appears very unlikely, but it's not over over until they officially move on.

Either that, or this was all a good cop/bad cop ruse from the beginning.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #613 on: July 21, 2017, 11:38:17 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2017, 11:42:07 AM by TD »

Not avoiding this thread because unlike the (gutless) Trumpists, I don't run away when my god-emperor is being attacked and I have no answer.

I still maintain that this will fail either in the MTP or the final vote. I don't see the conditions that made the first 3 iterations fail changing over the weekend.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #614 on: July 21, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »

The consensus appears to be on the right that whoever doesn't have health insurance after the law would pass would be because they don't want it and aren't forced to buy it. Roll Eyes
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #615 on: July 21, 2017, 05:02:39 PM »

Breaking: The Senate parliamentarian has determined that some provisions violate the Byrd rule, making them impermissible under reconciliation.

https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Background%20on%20Byrd%20Rule%20decisions_7.21%5B1%5D.pdf
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #616 on: July 21, 2017, 05:17:43 PM »

Breaking: The Senate parliamentarian has determined that some provisions violate the Byrd rule, making them impermissible under reconciliation.

https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Background%20on%20Byrd%20Rule%20decisions_7.21%5B1%5D.pdf

Including the abortion funding prohibition and defunding Planned Parenthood. It's not going to pass in the house without that.
Higgins
« Reply #617 on: July 21, 2017, 05:22:48 PM »

What are the odds of this passing, and when is the vote?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #618 on: July 21, 2017, 05:27:36 PM »

I though McConnell was better than this.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #619 on: July 21, 2017, 05:30:32 PM »

They could just fire the parliamentarian...they did it during the Bush years lol

They don't even need to do that, they can just overrule her as far as I know. But if they do that they might as well kill the filibuster.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #620 on: July 21, 2017, 05:34:27 PM »

Including the abortion funding prohibition and defunding Planned Parenthood. It's not going to pass in the house without that.

Yeah, this healthcare bill has had nine lives.....but it is going to be really hard to get this through the house with this provision being taking out.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #621 on: July 21, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »

They could just fire the parliamentarian...they did it during the Bush years lol

They don't even need to do that, they can just overrule her as far as I know. But if they do that they might as well kill the filibuster.

Byrd Rule is law, you can't overrule a law.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #622 on: July 21, 2017, 05:42:45 PM »

Yeah, this healthcare bill has had nine lives.....but it is going to be really hard to get this through the house with this provision being taking out.

On that note:

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #623 on: July 21, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »

Byrd Rule is law, you can't overrule a law.

If they fire the parliamentarian, the Democrats will just nuke the fillibuster if they win again.
Higgins
« Reply #624 on: July 21, 2017, 05:46:59 PM »

When is the vote?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies