Security cameras : why are people against them?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:11:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Security cameras : why are people against them?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you support a bill to put security cameras on every street corner in metropolitan areas?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Security cameras : why are people against them?  (Read 2072 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2005, 06:02:03 PM »

I don't have a problem with them philosophically, but it seems like they are usually going to cost more money than they are worth.  Unless you are using them to stop traffic violations, in which case I'm sure they pay for themselves.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2005, 06:05:57 PM »

I don't oppose them in all cases, but one on every street is more than a little paranoid.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2005, 01:34:02 AM »

I think the majority of people would change their minds if a crime was commited and they caught the guy/girl who did it through surveillance.

I think I'd change my mind on random pat downs (and just about every other privacy issue) if my life (or my family's) was at stake.  This logic, brought to its fruitation, is what justifies totalitarianism.  Security always sounds better than an intangible thing like privacy.  However, a line needs to be drawn, even an arbitrary one.

Whether that line should be past constant video surveillance of every city or not, I guess, is the debate.

I think practicality would also indicate that this is a silly idea.  Most significant crimes don't occur on street corners and well-lit streets.  Vandalism would be rampant against those cameras too.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2005, 01:40:18 AM »

Maybe not, but some people don't like the idea that they are constantly being watched.
TexasPatriot2024
TexasPatriot
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2005, 04:34:30 PM »

A camera on a street corner is in a public place. In public you dont have any privacy anyways so i dont see how it invades your privacy? You walk down the street and a camera sees you... so what? It might catch you leaving a dirty video store or picking your nose but why do you care? Up to 100 people might have seen you do the same thing on the streets of NYC. The cameras might catch a suspicious person or thousands of crimes a day. Im all for it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies