Blue-State Secession Is Dumb and Cruel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:01:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Blue-State Secession Is Dumb and Cruel
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blue-State Secession Is Dumb and Cruel  (Read 2176 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2017, 01:41:08 AM »

Interesting piece.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.thenation.com/article/blue-state-secession-is-dumb-and-cruel/

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 03:13:38 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 03:16:46 AM by Old School Republican »

Cali cant leave the union , for three reasons

1. Silicon valley companies  wouldnt stay

2. America would embargo it

3. America would send in troops to stop it if it ever needed too
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 03:31:51 AM »

It's so nice that a country founded on escaping persecution, no colonialism, no taxation without representation, etc. etc., would use military force to keep people in a union they don't want to be in.

Um, the Civil War. Besides, america has always been hypocritical and imperfect.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 04:24:29 AM »

Ftr, I never believed for a second Calexit is a possibility, but as a pure reaction to Trump's victory it tells a lot about some people still struggling to understand what happened and why.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:00:49 AM »

Ftr, I never believed for a second Calexit is a possibility, but as a pure reaction to Trump's victory it tells a lot about some people still struggling to understand what happened and why.

I still find it amazing that people are saying that after winning the popular vote. I mean come on.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 08:01:18 AM »

I still find it amazing that people are saying that after winning the popular vote. I mean come on.
But I'm sorry he mocked a disabled reporter even I get sick, depressed, an pissed when I think about the things voters forgave him for
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »

Yeah. It's pretty obvious that the GOP both got very lucky (or underhanded), and benefited from the EC. The focus should be on eliminating the Electoral College, and making sure the deplorable Nazis can't engage in more vote suppression and election rigging.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 09:27:39 AM »

I think if California actually tried to break away, the US government would be able as likely to intervene militarily as the Spanish government in the case of Catalan independence, that is, it wouldn't be very likely.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 09:28:31 AM »

I mainly think Calexit would be funny because it would expose the inevitable end result of liberal immigration policy, a country that looks like Dubai.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 09:34:34 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 09:37:50 AM by realisticidealist »

Secessionism is just liberal Facebook unfriending writ large.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 09:42:47 AM »

So now the yankees want to secede?! Been there, done that.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 09:59:42 AM »

Calexit is dumb, but i do support a devolution of powers back to the states. The reason our politics has gotten so poisonous is because partisans have so many levers of power to control simply by taking the Presidency, making our elections giant battles for the soul of the country when they should, to put it mildly, not be
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 10:08:08 AM »

So now the yankees want to secede?! Been there, done that.

Always a blue state, huh?? Tongue  Just kidding.

Seriously, though, the Union has squashed secession before, and it would do it again.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 11:22:43 AM »

But I'm sorry he mocked a disabled reporter even I get sick, depressed, an pissed when I think about the things voters forgave him for

This was Fake News and repeatedly proven to be.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »

True, but most voters didn't know that. They believed he mocked a disabled reporter, and either ignored it or cheered it on. We all know right wingers get their sadistic pleasure off cruelty towards the downtrodden.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 11:27:07 AM »

This times a thousand
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 11:37:28 AM »

I'd much prefer to see states have even greater autonomy than to see individual state secede the union.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 02:07:59 PM »

Still, it's amusing to see American Liberals of a certain stripe suddenly turning round and sounding exactly like Umberto Bossi in his prime isn't it?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 02:27:20 PM »

Still, it's amusing to see American Liberals of a certain stripe suddenly turning round and sounding exactly like Umberto Bossi in his prime isn't it?

I was thinking Catalonian independence, but Bossi is a far more evil comparison (I endorse! Cheesy )
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 03:19:23 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 03:26:28 PM by Eharding »

If California leaves the Union, America is done as a world power. China would be the strongest country. I wouldn't be surprised if they entered into a free trade agreement with California at that point.

-California contributes to American weakness, on net. The part of America that made it a world power was not CA, but the Louisiana Purchase.

Also, blue-state secession is awesome, and I strongly endorse it.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 03:54:38 PM »

You Trump supporters will excuse anything. He clearly mocked a disabled reporter in a crude imitation of his disability on national TV. Not to mention his many other egregrious actions, just to name a few;boasting on tape about groping women, saying Judge Curiel couldn't judge him because Curiel was a Mexican, unjustly smearing Alicia Machado, and attacking a Gold Star family because of his Islamophobia.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »

You Trump supporters will excuse anything. He clearly mocked a disabled reporter in a crude imitation of his disability on national TV. Not to mention his many other egregrious actions, just to name a few;boasting on tape about groping women, saying Judge Curiel couldn't judge him because Curiel was a Mexican, unjustly smearing Alicia Machado, and attacking a Gold Star family because of his Islamophobia.

A lot of Trump supporters literally do not know how to realize that their candidate has flaws, even if they still support him. I can point out the flaws in past candidates that I've supported and voted for, why can't they do the same?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 06:57:12 PM »

I think some degree of embracing States' rights is a good tactic (States should do all they can to undermine T***p's agenda), but yeah, these talks of secession are pathetic.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 06:59:05 PM »

It's so nice that a country founded on escaping persecution, no colonialism, no taxation without representation, etc. etc., would use military force to keep people in a union they don't want to be in.

Um, the Civil War. Besides, america has always been hypocritical and imperfect.

Doesn't seem comparable in my opinion to a state that would just want to be left alone, that isn't doing anything egregious like slavery, human rights abuses, etc.

If California wanted to secede they should be allowed to.  I cannot envision this happening though.  There are too many people, corporations, etc. that have ties that go beyond the state... it would be messy at best.
Wait... you think that if the South were seceding over some other than slavery, they would have been allowed to leave? Just because slavery happened to be the cause of the last Civil war doesn't mean the cause of the next one couldn't be something else.

And no, it's not a stretch to say the US would be downgraded from a world power if this happened. California is absolutely huge in population and is a fertile technological base.

If cali tried to secede all the tech companies would leave
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies