Who is worse: intersectionalists or TERFs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:35:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who is worse: intersectionalists or TERFs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who is worse: intersectionalists or TERFs?
intersectionalists

TERFs

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Who is worse: intersectionalists or TERFs?  (Read 3690 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2017, 01:53:10 AM »

As hilariously inane as intersectionalists tend to be, it's tough to top TERFs for sheer unpleasantness. Plus intersectionalism is at least a solid idea on paper that just happens to only be promoted by lunatics who take it to insane conclusions, while TERF ideology is fundamentally awful.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 01:59:59 AM »

While my beliefs are closer to intersectionalism, most intersectionalists just practice Oppression Olympics to rip each other apart, and are really driven by a need to employ hate speech for the sake of virtue signaling. It is completely vile. The TERFs, while I disagree with them the same way I would disagree with same-sex marriage opponents, at least are honest about their bigotry. Which makes them relatively ineffectual. The bigotry of the intersectionalists is far more insidious because it is hidden beneath layers of pseudo-academic gobbleygook. It goes on for years and years without ever being challenged. They also use authoritarian tactics and have succeeded in turning thousands if not millions of young people into anti-SJW backlash and Alt Right.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 02:12:44 AM »

While my beliefs are closer to intersectionalism, most intersectionalists just practice Oppression Olympics to rip each other apart, and are really driven by a need to employ hate speech for the sake of virtue signaling. It is completely vile. The TERFs, while I disagree with them the same way I would disagree with same-sex marriage opponents, at least are honest about their bigotry. Which makes them relatively ineffectual. The bigotry of the intersectionalists is far more insidious because it is hidden beneath layers of pseudo-academic gobbleygook. It goes on for years and years without ever being challenged. They also use authoritarian tactics and have succeeded in turning thousands if not millions of young people into anti-SJW backlash and Alt Right.

I more or less agree with this. TERFs are terrible, but they are also outdated and nearly irrelevant at this point. It's not a coincidence that the most prominent one is 78 now. Intersectionalists have much more opportunity to cause damage down the road.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:15:26 AM »

TERFS, obviously. Their philosophy is fundamentally bankrupt. Intersectionalism has its idiots, but is positive on the whole.

Or at least I would hope so, since I am intersectional.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:29:19 AM »

TERFS, obviously. Their philosophy is fundamentally bankrupt. Intersectionalism has its idiots, but is positive on the whole.

President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 06:32:09 AM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 06:39:48 AM »

The latter are freedom fighters.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 06:43:27 AM »

?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 06:49:01 AM »

What even are they?
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 08:15:19 AM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 08:44:45 AM »

Millions? LOL.

Most people just laugh at intersectionalists anyway and hardly anyone takes them seriously. Becoming a Nazi because you don't like some silly sh!t someone wrote on the internet is pretty ridiculous.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 09:04:37 AM »

What the Christ is a terf? Is it like a nimby or a banana?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=TERF

Basically, feminists who don't believe transgendered individuals born male count as women.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »

TERFs make sense. They can answer the question, "what makes someone a woman?" Intersectionalists can't answer that except to say "that's a bigoted question you shouldn't be allowed to ask".
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »

So TERFs are hypocrites and intersectionalists are idiots. Idk, I think both are pretty bad

(I had no idea what a TERF was until two minutes ago. They sound kind of silly)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 10:42:50 AM »

Wait, intersectionalism is considered bad by people who aren't right-wingers? I thought that just meant acknowledging that different forms of discrimination can overlap with each other.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 10:56:18 AM »

It's extraordinarily difficult to be worse than a TERF, short of being like a Nazi or something, and even then, it's often tough to see the difference.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »

Wait, intersectionalism is considered bad by people who aren't right-wingers? I thought that just meant acknowledging that different forms of discrimination can overlap with each other.

That is exactly what intersectionalism is. It's taken too far sometimes by people who don't grasp the nuances, but at a fundamental level, it is sound and necessary.

The same cannot be said of TERFs.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 11:52:01 AM »

The theory of intersectionalism is not bad in and of itself. It's actually, for sociology, a very sound principle with merits

What's bad is the people who use it to either A) shut down critics for the crime of "privilege" B) hypercharge identity politics into something extreme rather than something that can benefit communities of mutual interest.

Sort of like communism's famous quote: "great idea, wrong species"
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 12:00:30 PM »

terfs are basically powerless 70's throwbacks. If anything they help the trans population by generally complying with the most ridiculous feminist stereotypes around, making the trans population look relatively normal by comparison (even when the media pushes ridiculous half-wits like Jenner to be the official spokesperson of transpeople).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »

That's what it means in theory but in practice it means complaining about white people wearing hoop earrings or dreadlocks or eating Chinese food.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 12:38:17 PM »

My understanding is that "TERFs" are so indoctrinated in the whole muh patriarchy privilege causes ALL problems bs that they honestly believe that any male to female trans case is caused by a sexual fetish because why else would an evil parasite willingly give up their magical privilege power? Female to male trans are just viewed as poor oppressed souls who mistakenly think they can obtain magical privilege powers because of evil patriarchy rape culture programming.

Meanwhile normal people understand that not everything MUST be caused by some broad vague boogey man that can never be beaten. I really dont see why its so hard for a group that thinks men are the devil by blood to not understand why some of those devils might rather be angels also becauseof blood. In a lot of ways it validates their cause, it just undermines their original sin bs. Thankfully they are just a small fringe subset of a small fringe subset.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 01:27:42 PM »

Same, though I can see how it could be taken too far.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »

That's what it means in theory but in practice it means complaining about white people wearing hoop earrings or dreadlocks or eating Chinese food.
If by in practice, you mean a handful of people, sure.

It's actually really funny how single incidents get more attention than they should. The reality is a lot more complex. I encourage you to watch Contrapoints on YouTube, specifically his take on cultural appropriation (spoiler: he agrees with you).

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 01:42:35 PM »

Why do we need to let those people ruin the concept of intersectionality for the rest of us?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 02:01:22 PM »

Why do we need to let those people ruin the concept of intersectionality for the rest of us?

you might say they appropriated intersectionality
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies