Trump voters in Michigan like economically populist Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:31:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump voters in Michigan like economically populist Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump voters in Michigan like economically populist Democrats  (Read 776 times)
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »

From Jeff Stein of Vox:

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/14/14908272/trump-greenberg-democrats-neolib

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thoughts? I think this is the way to go, and if I saw economic populists being run all over the country and supported by mainstream Democrats I'd probably join the party again.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »

if the midwest is the only region of the country which matters, sure.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 11:28:14 AM »

For the House -- so does Florida. So does Texas. Maybe the white people of the Mountain and Deep South will finally recognize Donald Trump and his Congressional stooges intent only on making easy money available to the wrong sort of white people while doing things to everyone else. 

Do you know what happens when white voters in the Mountain and Deep South  start turning against the Trump clique? Democrats end up with a revival of the New Deal coalition.

I have seen statewide polls of approval of Donald Trump in Florida, Michigan and Pennsylvania -- and those look bad for him. A poll in the "Safe Republican" district of Speaker Paul Ryan suggests that he is safe in a re-election bid even if his district opposes some Trump policies decisively.

The data isn't all in yet. But it does not look good for the President or for Congress. Yes, Republicans could fare well in re-election bids in the House when Obama was President when Congress had 30% or so approval ratings... but with an unpopular President, people start wondering about their Congressional Representative if he is with a President that they dislike.   

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »

I'm pretty sure Democrats were able to win in many states outside the Midwest when they pursued a more economically populist message. Most of the defections of Obama voters to Trump, even in states like Florida, were due to Clinton's inability to connect with working class voters and Trump's populist rhetoric.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:35:36 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 11:39:22 AM by Torie »

The article is not about Trump in 2020; it muses about partisan preferences down ballot maybe in 2018 if certain things transpire. Please don't derail the thread.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 12:15:13 PM »

"Oh wow, really?" Who gets paid to spout conventional wisdom? I should become a journalist.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 12:39:39 PM »

I'm pretty sure Democrats were able to win in many states outside the Midwest when they pursued a more economically populist message.

oh, i am pretty sure that democrats could win some new voting blocs inside a lot of states but besides the midwest, is there a state which is "close" and could be won without alienating other parts of your base?

surely would work in the western regions and the appalachia......

but the dems are gaining in the atlantic area and the south/western south....

Maaaaybe Missouri or ...well, i guess Arkansas is gone anyway.

not saying that populism is a bad strategy for dems, could even be combined with their suburban shtick if done the right way, i just don't think there are atm many states available under an EC system.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »

I'm pretty sure Democrats were able to win in many states outside the Midwest when they pursued a more economically populist message. Most of the defections of Obama voters to Trump, even in states like Florida, were due to Clinton's inability to connect with working class voters and Trump's populist rhetoric.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 01:06:16 PM »

F**king duh.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 01:11:30 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 01:20:47 PM by ApatheticAustrian »

What is most amazing for me are those interviews with small-guy Trump voters, like the one in WV, telling journalists, they voted Trump cause he promised not to touch their healthcare but are now shocked about their possible price spikes....

I am neither arrogant nor angry enough, to call those voters either stupid nor am i going to gloat....but it still baffles me, someone could believe...or more like wanted to believe, that a candidate who has no clue at all about politics could do all the good things, without any kind of bad things...
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »

I think that's part of the reason Stabenow wins the entire upper peninsula every election.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 01:39:17 PM »

I think that's part of the reason Stabenow wins the entire upper peninsula every election.

For some reason, I actually thought you were being sarcastic until I looked at the Senate election maps for 2006 and 2012.

I haven't found a map for 2000 though.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »

For some reason, I actually thought you were being sarcastic until I looked at the Senate election maps for 2006 and 2012.

I haven't found a map for 2000 though.
http://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=100
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies