The Myth? of the clean Marshall Erwin Rommel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:16:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The Myth? of the clean Marshall Erwin Rommel
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Myth? of the clean Marshall Erwin Rommel  (Read 877 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2017, 10:11:03 PM »

Erwin Rommel was considered a clean general even by Western military. But he fought only in the western front. The Third Reich conducted a clean war in the west and a dirty war in the east. Some generals were clean in the west and dirty in the east. We don't know what would happen if Rommel were sent to the east. Maybe he could refuse to participate in the atrocities. Or not. We don't know.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 10:15:09 PM »

Rommel was an honorable man. I doubt that I, myself, would have done any better than him. I challenge anyone to say they would have been more ethical and moral than Rommel in his shoes.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »

I try not to judge Germans who weren't directly complicit in genocide TOO harshly ... don't get me wrong, they were absolutely in the wrong, and they need to live with the fact that they didn't stand up to the Reich, but I am a blonde haired, blue(-green) eyed male with German ancestry and a very German name ... I'm not sure I'd have the courage to not just go along with things and keep my family safe.

Most people have judged him relative to being a Nazi general, and I think that's largely fair.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 12:40:34 PM »

I try not to judge Germans who weren't directly complicit in genocide TOO harshly ... don't get me wrong, they were absolutely in the wrong, and they need to live with the fact that they didn't stand up to the Reich, but I am a blonde haired, blue(-green) eyed male with German ancestry and a very German name ... I'm not sure I'd have the courage to not just go along with things and keep my family safe.

Most people have judged him relative to being a Nazi general, and I think that's largely fair.
indeed

If you're regular ol' Hans 6 Pack and get drafted in 1938 to shoot at Russians, Poles and Frenchies you go shoot at Russians, Poles and Frenchies.  This does not make one a bad person (or even "wrong").  Now, if you rape a bunch of people when you're not shooting then you're wrong.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 02:45:32 AM »

The Clean Wehrmacht myth is incredibly dangerous
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 09:17:40 PM »

Interesting vídeo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw1UJCwcgNc
Higgins
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 04:21:52 PM »

The Clean Wehrmacht myth is incredibly dangerous

The myth that there were no "Good Germans" is equally as dangerous.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies