Fear of diversity, not economic anxiety, caused Obama voters to switch to Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:09:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fear of diversity, not economic anxiety, caused Obama voters to switch to Trump
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Fear of diversity, not economic anxiety, caused Obama voters to switch to Trump  (Read 3182 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2017, 10:36:07 AM »

I could say something snarky about how corporate lawyers in Manhattan exemplify everything that is wrong with America/the world's 21st century economic and political "leaders", but why stoop to their level?

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2017, 12:30:45 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2017, 12:32:41 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Shut up, Lief.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2017, 01:45:01 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2017, 11:47:02 AM by modern maverick »

It's never been clear to me how exactly the people who poo-poo the idea of emphasizing bread-and-butter issues to win back some of these voters recommend the Democrats proceed instead. Lie to them? Keep scolding and shaming them but EXTRA HARD this time? Double down on trying to Make Demographics Destiny Again? The entire point of a pivot to economic issues is to introduce new political incentives for voters who are currently motivated by uglier things. I'm appalled that this has to be spelled out over and over again.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »

It's never been clear to me how exactly the people who poo-poo the idea of emphasizing bread-and-butter issues to win back some of these voters recommend the Democrats proceed instead. Lie to them? Keep scolding and shaming them but EXTRA HARD this time? Double down on trying to Make Demographics Destiny Again? The entire point of a pivot to economic issues is to introduce new political incentives for voters who are currently motivated by uglier things. I'm appalled that this has to be spelled out over and over again.

Because its much easier to divide and conquer through social issues/identity politics bull.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »

Because its much easier to divide and conquer through social issues/identity politics bull.

I'm not sure that the people who are really all in on this old tack realize how politically toxic it is. Even if they do, they can just write it off as the moral turpitude of other people.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2017, 08:15:12 PM »

What about people who just want to talk about what happened in the election, without getting caught up in whether talking about it in a certain way is politically advantageous or not?  If people want to argue on this forum about the extent to which racism, fear of diversity or whatever you want to call it, drove people's votes, without turning it into some kind of strategy session about how the Dems should fix it, what's the problem?  Nothing in Lief's post was prescriptive about how the Dems should address their problem here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies