Illinois People: Why Hasn't Mike Madigan Tried for Higher Office?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:11:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Illinois People: Why Hasn't Mike Madigan Tried for Higher Office?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Illinois People: Why Hasn't Mike Madigan Tried for Higher Office?  (Read 1009 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2017, 02:58:29 PM »
« edited: March 15, 2017, 03:05:31 PM by Free Bird »

Mike Madigan is the undisputed kingpin of Illinois politics. His power for a State House Speaker is freakish. I'm curious why he never tried for a US Senate seat or for the Governorship in his prime. If he wanted it, he could have it, and that could make way for even more power. Does anyone here from Illinois know why?
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »

You said it yourself. Leaving the speakership, even for a higher office, could only lessen the power he currently has.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 03:08:33 PM »

You said it yourself. Leaving the speakership, even for a higher office, could only lessen the power he currently has.

True now, but why not in like the 90s when he wasn't an absolute juggernaut? For such a megalomaniac on a small scale, he certainly has had to have at least thought about it, so I'm wondering why he decided to stay Speaker instead of trying to be, I don't know, Senate Majority Leader or dare I say, President?
Rjjr77
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 05:14:38 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2017, 05:18:15 PM by Rjjr77 »

True now, but why not in like the 90s when he wasn't an absolute juggernaut? For such a megalomaniac on a small scale, he certainly has had to have at least thought about it, so I'm wondering why he decided to stay Speaker instead of trying to be, I don't know, Senate Majority Leader or dare I say, President?

He's always been a juggernaut. The guys controlled Springfield since 1983

He even forces the university of Illinois into accepting applicants backed by him.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 05:23:45 PM »

Probably because the stench around him would make it fairly hard to win a statewide general election.
Rjjr77
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 05:27:55 PM »

Also speaker is way more powerful than senate majority leader
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 05:36:51 PM »

Mike Madigan would not win a general election in Illinois, much less "have it if he wanted it".  He is hated outside of his lil fiefdom.  Having political power in the Legislature does not translate into electoral popularity.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 05:46:41 PM »

Why would he give up the certainty of absolute power in Springfield for the US Senate, where he would only be one of a hundred Senators? Working his way up the Senate hierarchy to Majority Leader is no sure thing, especially since it also relies on his party (and him!) consistently winning elections to keep him in the spot.

Compare that to his current situation: he will always be comfortably re-elected (which wouldn't be true if he were Senator or Governor—as Green Line mentioned, he's deeply unpopular outside of his district), he will always retain the job of Speaker (nobody would be foolish enough to try to challenge him), and Illinois will always elect enough Democrats to the House to keep him in power.
Rjjr77
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 05:52:21 PM »

Why would he give up the certainty of absolute power in Springfield for the US Senate, where he would only be one of a hundred Senators? Working his way up the Senate hierarchy to Majority Leader is no sure thing, especially since it also relies on his party (and him!) consistently winning elections to keep him in the spot.

Compare that to his current situation: he will always be comfortably re-elected (which wouldn't be true if he were Senator or Governor—as Green Line mentioned, he's deeply unpopular outside of his district), he will always retain the job of Speaker (nobody would be foolish enough to try to challenge him), and Illinois will always elect enough Democrats to the House to keep him in power.
Except for two blissful years in the 1990s.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 06:45:20 PM »

There's no reason for him to seek higher office because he is essentially the de facto governor.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 09:26:39 PM »

He's too old and Lisa Madigan was the voters choice, but she hasn't run for anything other than AG.
PAK Man

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 04:35:21 PM »

He's too old and Lisa Madigan was the voters choice, but she hasn't run for anything other than AG.

I think she's waiting for him to retire before she seeks higher office. That's the rumor, anyway.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 06:43:46 PM »

There's no reason for him to seek higher office because he is essentially the de facto governor.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 06:44:22 PM »

I like Speaker Madigan's style sometimes, it's brash, but I think he has the stench of corruption.
Rjjr77
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »

I like Speaker Madigan's style sometimes, it's brash, but I think he has the stench of corruption.

If you honestly like him you don't know anything about him, he's a corrupt thug who holds the state hostage. He's literally the only person in politics that made people think Blagojevich was reasonable.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 11:17:56 PM »

If you honestly like him you don't know anything about him, he's a corrupt thug who holds the state hostage. He's literally the only person in politics that made people think Blagojevich was reasonable.
Did Madigan and Blagojevich get along?
Rjjr77
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 01:32:51 AM »

No, they hated each other.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 06:25:43 AM »

No, they hated each other.

True, yet Madigan chaired Blago's reelection campaign in 2006. He's a very savvy politician.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies