Trump won't call China a currency manipulator, praises Yellen and Exp-Im-Bank
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:54:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump won't call China a currency manipulator, praises Yellen and Exp-Im-Bank
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump won't call China a currency manipulator, praises Yellen and Exp-Im-Bank  (Read 1408 times)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »

Soon....Trump will say he's open to TPP

Just wait

Obviously, man. It benefits who the most? The big business community. Who do they support? Republicans. Small businesses love it too. What do Republicans care about? The support of the donor class and small businesses. Who traditionally back the Republicans.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 04:34:37 PM »

Obviously, man. It benefits who the most? The big business community. Who do they support? Republicans. Small businesses love it too. What do Republicans care about? The support of the donor class and small businesses. Who traditionally back the Republicans.
Small businesses love TPP? The average small business doesn't source from or sell to Vietnam or Malaysia in material amounts. In fact, you could actually say the same about most large businesses.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 04:40:33 PM »

Small businesses love TPP? The average small business doesn't source from or sell to Vietnam or Malaysia in material amounts. In fact, you could actually say the same about most large businesses.

A considerable sum probably get their supply chain from overseas, where reduced tariffs and so on would help them. That's the point behind free trade and deals like NAFTA and so on.

The supply chains we see for materials and goods are global meaning structured free trade deals are actually a key component of our growth.

anyway, my point about the business community backing the deal stands. They were among the loudest supporters of the deal under Obama.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 04:53:24 PM »

He's become a moderate republican, who'd a thunk it?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 05:04:25 PM »

A considerable sum probably get their supply chain from overseas, where reduced tariffs and so on would help them. That's the point behind free trade and deals like NAFTA and so on.

The supply chains we see for materials and goods are global meaning structured free trade deals are actually a key component of our growth.
Most modern trade deals are not about tariffs, and are mostly about foreign investment and dispute resolution. The US already has generally low tariffs, and the majority of businesses, large or small, do not source from TPP countries in material amounts, and if they do, the portion of their costs they are most concerned about is freight, not tariffs. The only companies that regularly deal with tariffs are those with manufacturing plants overseas and import/distribution firms. Even then, we are only talking about the lowest value products being produced in these countries, like coffee, rubber, and textiles.

High-value proprietary imports like tools, machine parts, and chemicals are usually sourced from Japan, Germany, or other European countries. (I do realize that Japan is in the TPP, but nobody is pretending that TPP is about US/Japan trade) Most businesses are not really affected by TPP either way, and the ones who are strongly in favor of it are multinationals who want the investment opportunities, dispute resolution mechanisms, mutual standards, and perhaps lower input costs.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 08:34:33 PM »

One step closer to a modern President Tyler
Axel Foley
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 08:49:05 PM »

Should I cross my fingers for his U-turn on green policies too? I am asking this because to me the most screaming theme of Trump's campaign was his attitude on climate change...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2017, 10:42:32 PM »

Should I cross my fingers for his U-turn on green policies too? I am asking this because to me the most screaming theme of Trump's campaign was his attitude on climate change...

Just tell him that someone very important signed this letter to the President demanding that he take bold action on climate change.

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 09:54:47 AM »

Most modern trade deals are not about tariffs, and are mostly about foreign investment and dispute resolution. The US already has generally low tariffs, and the majority of businesses, large or small, do not source from TPP countries in material amounts, and if they do, the portion of their costs they are most concerned about is freight, not tariffs. The only companies that regularly deal with tariffs are those with manufacturing plants overseas and import/distribution firms. Even then, we are only talking about the lowest value products being produced in these countries, like coffee, rubber, and textiles.

High-value proprietary imports like tools, machine parts, and chemicals are usually sourced from Japan, Germany, or other European countries. (I do realize that Japan is in the TPP, but nobody is pretending that TPP is about US/Japan trade) Most businesses are not really affected by TPP either way, and the ones who are strongly in favor of it are multinationals who want the investment opportunities, dispute resolution mechanisms, mutual standards, and perhaps lower input costs.

I'm surprised at this non-trolling post. So I'll respond in seriousness.

I'd like to apologize for being flippant and firing off a series of comments without thinking. In a sense, I was riling up people a bit for fun and that was a little off. I'd take back my comments that Trump will revive TPP. I've long said his anti-free trade stance is one of his most consistent beliefs and one of the big ones that tie him to his alt-right base. So I'm going to stand by that rather than my comments in this thread.

Re your points ...

I understand that yes, we are a low tariff nation. But as I understand it, we would also be doing a free trade deal with Australia and New Zealand, which would mean lower tariffs with goods from Australia, a developed nation that could give us as you said, "High-value proprietary imports like tools, machine parts, and chemicals." Unless we have separate treaties, there's one reason TPP would benefit us.

I'd be inclined to agree with the rest of your post. That's probably a good argument about who is in favor and who isn't. I've been looking up who voiced support and one group was the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.  I ran across this article and this article. It sees you might have a point on that part.

I'll stand by the rest of my comments, but not the small business support for TPP.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies