Opinion of the Hijab
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:41:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Hijab
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ?
FC

HC

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Opinion of the Hijab  (Read 3052 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2017, 11:59:49 PM »

Yeah I think the correct solution in France would have been to allow religious expression in schools, but ban religions operating schools or at least banning them from discrimating between children. Segregation is worse than peeling back from some arbitrary standard of secularism (like, do French public schools celebrate Christmas?)

Well, there's no class on Christmas time, so that's kind of a moot point. Tongue
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2017, 12:50:20 AM »

Yeah I think the correct solution in France would have been to allow religious expression in schools, but ban religions operating schools or at least banning them from discrimating between children. Segregation is worse than peeling back from some arbitrary standard of secularism (like, do French public schools celebrate Christmas?)

Well, there's no class on Christmas time, so that's kind of a moot point. Tongue

Obviously not on Christmas day, but in my experience in both primary and secondary school in England (both state schools with a broad mix of religions) Decembers were Christmassy: school choirs sung in churches, some years were obliged to fill the pews (there was probably an opt-out, but I can't remember anybody following through), there were Christmas parties in the last week, in primary school there was the obligatory nativity play (I was a sheep fwiw), the schools were decorated for the holiday and of course the break was actually called "the Christmas holiday". Is that allowed in French schools?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2017, 01:22:56 AM »

Obviously not on Christmas day, but in my experience in both primary and secondary school in England (both state schools with a broad mix of religions) Decembers were Christmassy: school choirs sung in churches, some years were obliged to fill the pews (there was probably an opt-out, but I can't remember anybody following through), there were Christmas parties in the last week, in primary school there was the obligatory nativity play (I was a sheep fwiw), the schools were decorated for the holiday and of course the break was actually called "the Christmas holiday". Is that allowed in French schools?

There usually is a Christmas-y decor and sometimes Christmas-related activities, from what I remember, yeah. Although usually they relates to the parts of Christmas that aren't really religious in any meaningful sense. Definitely no nativity scenes or stuff like that.

Of course, it's only my experience, and it might be different in other parts of the country (though I'll point out that the area I grew up in is pretty right-wing and Versailles nearby is a hotbed of reactionary Catholics).
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2017, 02:49:43 AM »

I don't think a country should change it's laws to accommodate muslims, when this law existed for decades.
the law was passed in 2004.

A law based upon the principle of lacite from 1905. A country has a right to do this, and this law was supported across the poltical spectrum, including muslim women 49% who support, compared to 43% who oppose.
The French hijab ban represented a tangible shift in existing public policy (which allowed the scarf in most cases). A "principle" isn't a law. You could claim the United States has a lengthy record of caring for the elderly, stretching back to FDR's Social Security in the 1930s. Doesn't make Medicare Part D a "law that existed for decades."

No but the principle behind Medicare Part D, is what made it law. A country has the right to do that, especially if it's in lieu with the principles of the nation.

Just becasue a county has a "right" to make a law doesn't make it a good law.

I never stated it is, to say the law is oppression, is fycking ridiculous though.

In practice it is oppressive.

Would it be oppressive if it was a turban, or a preist wearing religious clothing in public, of course it wouldn't be.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2017, 03:18:53 AM »

I don't think a country should change it's laws to accommodate muslims, when this law existed for decades.

A law based upon the principle of lacite from 1905. A country has a right to do this, and this law was supported across the poltical spectrum, including muslim women 49% who support, compared to 43% who oppose.
The French hijab ban represented a tangible shift in existing public policy (which allowed the scarf in most cases). A "principle" isn't a law. You could claim the United States has a lengthy record of caring for the elderly, stretching back to FDR's Social Security in the 1930s. Doesn't make Medicare Part D a "law that existed for decades."

No but the principle behind Medicare Part D, is what made it law. A country has the right to do that, especially if it's in lieu with the principles of the nation.

I never stated it is, to say the law is oppression, is fycking ridiculous though.

Would it be oppressive if it was a turban, or a preist wearing religious clothing in public, of course it wouldn't be.

...what?

I think it is oppressive (and counterproductive) for the state to effectively order religiously pious groups to segregate.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2017, 03:33:39 AM »

...what?

I think it is oppressive (and counterproductive) for the state to effectively order religiously pious groups to segregate.

I meant if those things were banned in schools etc.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2017, 04:30:01 AM »

...what?

I meant if those things were banned in schools etc.

It would be opressive to ban turbans in schools, yes.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies