Trump's new budget will cut meals on wheels
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:04:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump's new budget will cut meals on wheels
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump's new budget will cut meals on wheels  (Read 3550 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 10:29:51 PM »

Maybe carve that out. Community development block grants often go to well off communities to build concert halls.
According to Wiki:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Meals on wheels grants seem to be a minor part of the program. Maybe just increase grants for meals on wheels in the already existing usda programs at the same rate that similar grants would be eliminated by zeroing out cdbgs.
They don't care that this is sh**t program full of waste, corruption and graft often aimed at well off communities.  "meals on wheels" is how they sold this piece of sh**t in the first place, of course it's what they are going to cry when it gets axed.

Don't get me wrong, Trump's budget sucks ass.  This ain't why.

Are you suggesting that Meals on Wheels is full of waste and corruption, or CDBGs in general?  Meals on Wheels is meant to help olds who literally cannot "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" and cook their own food.  Do wealthy olds benefit from it as much as poor ones do?  Probably not, but it shouldn't be cut.

He means the larger program which is often exploited by better of communities who hire grant writers to poach money from wherever they can find it. Fed funds then end up going towards local community centers or performing arts venues in areas that are pretty well off. Meals on wheels is just one of many things the grants fund. And meals on wheels also gets fed grant money from the USDA community food projects grant program. Also putting out there that various food stamp reform bills the GOP has pushed over the past decade have pushed for allowing meals on wheels to participate in the food stamp program to help get more money.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 10:39:52 PM »

Why don't people pull themselves up by the bootstraps instead of sitting around waiting for delivery?
You actually have to have bootstraps to have any chance to do that.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »

Meals on Wheels feeds 500,000 veterans every year.
How does taking food from hungry veterans fit into making America great?
This is beyond Bond villain nastiness.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 10:37:23 AM »

the most bizarre thing with all those cuts is, once again, that they primarily hurt trump's base of older. white. rural working-class voters.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 10:37:47 AM »

What everyone ought to be more concerned with is the increase to defense spending. Now there are funds that we know will be poorly spent, and probably to the harm of us all. The worst part is that, unlike the domestic cuts, Democrats are scared to object too vehemently to Trump's militarism for fear of Disrespecting the Troops.

That is primarily what concerns me. We already spend so much on the military and then watch it get plowed into bugged out toys like the F-35.

I'm just wondering if we are going to end up in a situation where if a Democrat gets into office and signals concern with the DoD, Republicans then kick and scream that the military is "falling apart," and then push again and again for more money. It'll be a never-ending cycle that has no real justification outside of partisan politics.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »

Meals on Wheels' donations, volunteer sign-ups soar after Trump eyes cuts

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/17/us/meals-on-wheels-donations-compassionate/

JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2017, 04:04:56 PM »

About half of "public" television in this country is funded by pledge drives and the third sector already. I'm sure defense contractors like Boeing and Lockheed Martin can spare the chump change to keep intact the part of this critical service's budget that actually is public without the coal miners feeling the pinch.

But, you know, what do I know about it being a "critical service"? It's not like I grew up five miles from nowhere down a dirt road with cows for neighbors and watching Arthur on my thirteen-inch television was the high point of my day or anything. I suppose my working single mother's bootstraps just weren't long enough to afford to park me in front of Power Rangers instead.
This is so damn elitist I can smell the smugness coming off of it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 04:07:53 PM »

The media keeps quoting this but its not true. They get 30% of their money from federal funding

The national or state offices? The article did say the national one got a very small amount but states got a lot more, such as the example in my quote above with one near Detroit deriving about 30% from federal funds.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2017, 04:54:09 PM »

What everyone ought to be more concerned with is the increase to defense spending. Now there are funds that we know will be poorly spent, and probably to the harm of us all. The worst part is that, unlike the domestic cuts, Democrats are scared to object too vehemently to Trump's militarism for fear of Disrespecting the Troops.

That is primarily what concerns me. We already spend so much on the military and then watch it get plowed into bugged out toys like the F-35.

I'm just wondering if we are going to end up in a situation where if a Democrat gets into office and signals concern with the DoD, Republicans then kick and scream that the military is "falling apart," and then push again and again for more money. It'll be a never-ending cycle that has no real justification outside of partisan politics.

The big problem is that the military can't even account for and manage the money they already have.

They don't deserve more for any reason. We need to clean up the Defense Dept FIRST before they get another cent. And we need to stand FIRM about this.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2017, 06:40:42 PM »

About half of "public" television in this country is funded by pledge drives and the third sector already. I'm sure defense contractors like Boeing and Lockheed Martin can spare the chump change to keep intact the part of this critical service's budget that actually is public without the coal miners feeling the pinch.

But, you know, what do I know about it being a "critical service"? It's not like I grew up five miles from nowhere down a dirt road with cows for neighbors and watching Arthur on my thirteen-inch television was the high point of my day or anything. I suppose my working single mother's bootstraps just weren't long enough to afford to park me in front of Power Rangers instead.

...what? I'm literally talking about growing up poor.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/meals-on-wheels-trump-budget-cut-impact-on-voters/

vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: 0.43

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2017, 07:46:45 PM »

Do you think the reporter bothered to tell Linda Preast that Meals on Wheels isn't a government program?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2017, 07:57:30 PM »

Do you think the reporter bothered to tell Linda Preast that Meals on Wheels isn't a government program?

neither helpful, nor the point.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2017, 08:07:51 PM »

neither helpful, nor the point.

Well, it sort of is the point.  Why is it the federal government's role to be funding programs like Meals on Wheels to begin with?  These are questions that some never ask, because they think the government should be involved in anything and everything - sort of like Chuck Schumer grandstanding on local New York TV very Sunday about the "outrage" of the week that's often not properly within the federal government's purview to begin with.  The "there oughta be a law" crowd never admit that oftentimes, no, there shouldn't be - particularly on the federal level.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2017, 10:20:11 PM »

Well, it sort of is the point.  Why is it the federal government's role to be funding programs like Meals on Wheels to begin with?  

To assure they are working even at times of public unrest and when the private sponsors, who are usually concentrated in big cities and areas which aren't usually in danger of "drying up", are in no financial mood of helping out atm.

One can easily try to change the balance of those payments and, for example, only use federal funds if the locals can't get enough money but just cutting something and calling it compassion is dirt-cheap rand-ism, IMHO.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2017, 10:22:41 PM »

No one said it was a government program, but it receives 35% of it's funding from the federal government. That funding being cut would mean lots of seniors would lose meals.
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 09:56:58 AM »

No one said it was a government program, but it receives 35% of it's funding from the federal government. That funding being cut would mean lots of seniors would lose meals.

Either you know the actual truth and are helping to spread the lie...  Or you are too lazy to check your facts.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/445878/meals-wheels-trump-budget-media-misleads-funding-cuts-kill-program

ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 10:07:52 AM »

Either you know the actual truth and are helping to spread the lie...  Or you are too lazy to check your facts.

not really helpful.

doesn't matter how far you dive into the details, the simple truth remains, that this could lead to financial problems for the program on local levels, which may or may not be compensated by private actors....leads to more insecurity.
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2017, 09:22:44 PM »

not really helpful.

doesn't matter how far you dive into the details, the simple truth remains, that this could lead to financial problems for the program on local levels, which may or may not be compensated by private actors....leads to more insecurity.

No, the whole story is never helpful if you are trying to spread propaganda.  That 35% federal funding number comes from the Older Americans Act, which is not affected by this budget proposal.  The proposed cuts are to CDBG funds.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/445878/meals-wheels-trump-budget-media-misleads-funding-cuts-kill-program

It's equivalent to the bandit or gangster spreading money around the community to generate goodwill.  He hopes the citizens will hide or support him when the law comes to arrest him.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 11:08:51 AM »

...what? I'm literally talking about growing up poor.

We're talking about JerryArkansas so the form of privilege in question might consist of as little as having 23 pairs of largely un-mutated human chromosomes...

I guess maybe he didn't understand that I was being sarcastic, but I would have thought the last sentence made that pretty clear.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies