Trump's new budget will cut meals on wheels (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:33:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump's new budget will cut meals on wheels (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump's new budget will cut meals on wheels  (Read 3599 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: March 16, 2017, 12:09:54 PM »

Don't forget how they are selling the cuts....
You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://twitter.com/politico/status/842347194371981312

That is true.

Remember, in America we do not have mandated charity.

We can't ask atheists to help pay for other students to get vouchers to go to religious schools, yet this is no doubt done in many states and probably soon to be under DeVos.

Or how about asking pacifist liberal taxpayers to help pay for the Iraq war, or even better, tanks that Congress keeps buying despite the military themselves not wanting? Or how about a trillion+ dollar fighter jet program that is nothing but problems?

I don't think anyone should be bringing up the "we can't ask [taxpayer]..." or "my tax dollars..." argument unless they want to really hash this whole thing out, and not just what they don't like.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 08:58:10 PM »

I've never really been a fan of cutting funding for something simply because of waste, with the implication being the funding is otherwise OK so long as there is little waste or fraud. If one is in a position to flat out cut the funding altogether, why not first make an honest attempt to ensure the money is used properly? I'm not saying this why Trump's budget proposes cuts to these things, but I don't buy the idea that, for example, we can't ensure development grants aren't used to fund concert halls in well-off communities.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:37:47 AM »

What everyone ought to be more concerned with is the increase to defense spending. Now there are funds that we know will be poorly spent, and probably to the harm of us all. The worst part is that, unlike the domestic cuts, Democrats are scared to object too vehemently to Trump's militarism for fear of Disrespecting the Troops.

That is primarily what concerns me. We already spend so much on the military and then watch it get plowed into bugged out toys like the F-35.

I'm just wondering if we are going to end up in a situation where if a Democrat gets into office and signals concern with the DoD, Republicans then kick and scream that the military is "falling apart," and then push again and again for more money. It'll be a never-ending cycle that has no real justification outside of partisan politics.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »

Meals on Wheels' donations, volunteer sign-ups soar after Trump eyes cuts

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/17/us/meals-on-wheels-donations-compassionate/

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 04:07:53 PM »

The media keeps quoting this but its not true. They get 30% of their money from federal funding

The national or state offices? The article did say the national one got a very small amount but states got a lot more, such as the example in my quote above with one near Detroit deriving about 30% from federal funds.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies