HOUSE BILL: Naturalization Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:16:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: Naturalization Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: Naturalization Act (Tabled)  (Read 4446 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2017, 02:00:05 AM »
« edited: May 28, 2017, 11:15:20 PM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Sponsor: OneJ_
House Designation HB 1093
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 02:00:35 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to begin advocating for this bill, lest it be deported.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 05:28:31 PM »

Bump. I want to hear your concerns.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 09:34:34 PM »

I'd like to hear the sponsor's reasoning behind section II part 5
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »

To pretty much "moderate" the bill I guess you could say. However, I could make an amendment if you all want me to.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 12:13:53 AM »

Amendment Proposal:
[/quote]

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 11:41:36 PM »

Before we change the bill, let's hear what the other representatives have to say.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 12:11:03 AM »

Before we change the bill, let's hear what the other representatives have to say.

Gotcha.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 04:19:35 AM »

This is a very important process and this bill is really short. We have to be carefull with this issue and think about the possibility that measures and processes that are coming short in this bill could probably backfire. Nevertheless, I believe that I can support this bill in its original form because the measures make sense to me.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 04:24:48 PM »

As a former house member I do have something to say regarding this legislation. I support it with the proviso that section 2 clause 4 be changed to require English. As English is the lingua franca of Atlasia it would benefit immigrants to learn the language.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 08:49:32 PM »

As a former house member I do have something to say regarding this legislation. I support it with the proviso that section 2 clause 4 be changed to require English. As English is the lingua franca of Atlasia it would benefit immigrants to learn the language.

Forcing people to learn a language isn't freedom.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 01:24:54 AM »

I support requiring English, as well as preserving the history and gov't requirement.

No one is forcing them to become citizens. It is not unreasonable to require citizens to speak the language that most business is conducted in, lest they be essentially turned into second class citizens.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 04:01:06 AM »

Even liberal democracies have understood that people need to lern the language in order to become real citizens of the country. This is about integration. We don't want minorities to live in parallel societies within our country, we want them to be included in our social, cultural and political life. Parallel societies lead to crime, integration doesn't.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 05:51:37 PM »

Even liberal democracies have understood that people need to lern the language in order to become real citizens of the country. This is about integration. We don't want minorities to live in parallel societies within our country, we want them to be included in our social, cultural and political life. Parallel societies lead to crime, integration doesn't.

Well, if we want to really stop parallel societies from forming, we should force the 41 million Spanish speaking people to learn the language.

Conforming people into a set way of living is not a noble pursuit, diversity in culture should be tolerated and encouraged.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 06:01:22 PM »

Well, if we want to really stop parallel societies from forming, we should force the 41 million Spanish speaking people to learn the language.

Conforming people into a set way of living is not a noble pursuit, diversity in culture should be tolerated and encouraged.

I know. That is true. But no one is talking about cultural diversity. We don't want to force people to live in a certain way. We just want them to have basic knowledge of the language we use in our political process and, well, basically everywhere.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 09:16:37 PM »

I know. That is true. But no one is talking about cultural diversity. We don't want to force people to live in a certain way. We just want them to have basic knowledge of the language we use in our political process and, well, basically everywhere.

If they want that, I believe they should be able to do that of their own free will.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 12:17:36 AM »

I am afraid I agree with Simossad.

It is not safe for them either. They will be stuck unable to obtain better pay, subject to abuse by employers, tenants and criminals. They won't be able to reach out to the authorities effectively or will be told lies about the authorities to keep them from reaching out to get help.

We are talking about the naturalization process here. If we want all citizens to succeed and be able to have an equal shot at achieving success, understanding the basics of the language and even of the system that will protect them and their rights, is critical.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 03:09:29 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2017, 08:59:15 PM by Rep. Southern AG OneJ_ »

Sorry for the amount of time this bill has been up as I was busy with other things.

Amendment offered (Revert back to the original):
[/quote]

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 02:27:11 PM »

I object to the amendment.

It is not safe for them either. They will be stuck unable to obtain better pay, subject to abuse by employers, tenants and criminals. They won't be able to reach out to the authorities effectively or will be told lies about the authorities to keep them from reaching out to get help.

We are talking about the naturalization process here. If we want all citizens to succeed and be able to have an equal shot at achieving success, understanding the basics of the language and even of the system that will protect them and their rights, is critical.

Immigrants who want to succeed in this nation will do so anyway, we don't need government mandates on everything because it would help someone. For once, can we be honest with ourselves and say that people can protect their own interests, and don't need big brother government to hold their hands in every decision? Provide an English course, but make it optional.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 02:59:33 PM »

Immigrants who want to succeed in this nation will do so anyway, we don't need government mandates on everything because it would help someone. For once, can we be honest with ourselves and say that people can protect their own interests, and don't need big brother government to hold their hands in every decision? Provide an English course, but make it optional.

Can we clarify our different viewpoints on that issue by proposing an amendment that does not make the ability to speak the English language compulsory, but that determines that the required formalities and paperwork of the naturalization process are in the English language?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 03:14:19 PM »

Can we clarify our different viewpoints on that issue by proposing an amendment that does not make the ability to speak the English language compulsory, but that determines that the required formalities and paperwork of the naturalization process are in the English language?

That's contradictory.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 03:27:06 PM »

That's the thing. I feel that immigrants should be able to learn English at their own pace and not necessarily rush (especially if they've lived in America for such a brief time). On top of this, they have to settle somewhere, take care of children, find work, learn the way of living, etc. That's a lot!

Maybe taking a English-learning (foundations) course for a minimum # of weeks, but that's basically it.

Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 03:33:34 PM »

That's contradictory.

Then how many languages do you want to offer?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 08:42:35 PM »

That's contradictory.

Then how many languages do you want to offer?

Spanish, Chinese, Russian, German, French, and English. If someone doesn't speak those languages, it won't be hard to find someone already living here to translate into that language.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 09:29:12 PM »

I think this is a pretty good piece of legislation as is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies