HOUSE BILL: Naturalization Act (Tabled) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:50:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: Naturalization Act (Tabled) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: Naturalization Act (Tabled)  (Read 4521 times)
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« on: March 18, 2017, 04:19:35 AM »

This is a very important process and this bill is really short. We have to be carefull with this issue and think about the possibility that measures and processes that are coming short in this bill could probably backfire. Nevertheless, I believe that I can support this bill in its original form because the measures make sense to me.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 04:01:06 AM »

As a former house member I do have something to say regarding this legislation. I support it with the proviso that section 2 clause 4 be changed to require English. As English is the lingua franca of Atlasia it would benefit immigrants to learn the language.

Forcing people to learn a language isn't freedom.

Even liberal democracies have understood that people need to lern the language in order to become real citizens of the country. This is about integration. We don't want minorities to live in parallel societies within our country, we want them to be included in our social, cultural and political life. Parallel societies lead to crime, integration doesn't.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 06:01:22 PM »

As a former house member I do have something to say regarding this legislation. I support it with the proviso that section 2 clause 4 be changed to require English. As English is the lingua franca of Atlasia it would benefit immigrants to learn the language.

Forcing people to learn a language isn't freedom.

Even liberal democracies have understood that people need to lern the language in order to become real citizens of the country. This is about integration. We don't want minorities to live in parallel societies within our country, we want them to be included in our social, cultural and political life. Parallel societies lead to crime, integration doesn't.

Well, if we want to really stop parallel societies from forming, we should force the 41 million Spanish speaking people to learn the language.

Conforming people into a set way of living is not a noble pursuit, diversity in culture should be tolerated and encouraged.

I know. That is true. But no one is talking about cultural diversity. We don't want to force people to live in a certain way. We just want them to have basic knowledge of the language we use in our political process and, well, basically everywhere.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:59:33 PM »

I object to the amendment.

I am afraid I agree with Simossad.

It is not safe for them either. They will be stuck unable to obtain better pay, subject to abuse by employers, tenants and criminals. They won't be able to reach out to the authorities effectively or will be told lies about the authorities to keep them from reaching out to get help.

We are talking about the naturalization process here. If we want all citizens to succeed and be able to have an equal shot at achieving success, understanding the basics of the language and even of the system that will protect them and their rights, is critical.

Immigrants who want to succeed in this nation will do so anyway, we don't need government mandates on everything because it would help someone. For once, can we be honest with ourselves and say that people can protect their own interests, and don't need big brother government to hold their hands in every decision? Provide an English course, but make it optional.

Can we clarify our different viewpoints on that issue by proposing an amendment that does not make the ability to speak the English language compulsory, but that determines that the required formalities and paperwork of the naturalization process are in the English language?
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:33:34 PM »

I object to the amendment.

I am afraid I agree with Simossad.

It is not safe for them either. They will be stuck unable to obtain better pay, subject to abuse by employers, tenants and criminals. They won't be able to reach out to the authorities effectively or will be told lies about the authorities to keep them from reaching out to get help.

We are talking about the naturalization process here. If we want all citizens to succeed and be able to have an equal shot at achieving success, understanding the basics of the language and even of the system that will protect them and their rights, is critical.

Immigrants who want to succeed in this nation will do so anyway, we don't need government mandates on everything because it would help someone. For once, can we be honest with ourselves and say that people can protect their own interests, and don't need big brother government to hold their hands in every decision? Provide an English course, but make it optional.

Can we clarify our different viewpoints on that issue by proposing an amendment that does not make the ability to speak the English language compulsory, but that determines that the required formalities and paperwork of the naturalization process are in the English language?

That's contradictory.

Then how many languages do you want to offer?
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »

I have sympathy for the idea that the dominant language plays a role in the naturalization process, but I will, as I stated earlier, support this bill in its original form.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 03:13:07 PM »

Abstain.

Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 09:50:47 AM »

Nay.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 06:08:21 AM »

So, where are we on this?
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »

Can we please get this passed before our terms end? I motion for a final vote. Everyone had enough time to debate this.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 03:46:35 PM »

Again. This has been open for long enough. I therefore motion for a final vote.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 06:36:31 AM »

Yes. Clyde raises a valid, yet relevant point.

That bill was worked on with a lot of effort and time, so I respectfully motion to withdraw the bill.

seconded
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies