Trump adm. cuts....community poverty funds, Appalachian economy grants, etc etc
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:43:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump adm. cuts....community poverty funds, Appalachian economy grants, etc etc
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump adm. cuts....community poverty funds, Appalachian economy grants, etc etc  (Read 3297 times)
Bismarck
Chancellor

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 01:37:57 PM »

One thing to remember is that the people who get money from the government are not generally republicans, even most counties in W. Virgina had at least 30 % of people voting for Clinton.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 02:01:25 PM »

One thing to remember is that the people who get money from the government are not generally republicans, even most counties in W. Virgina had at least 30 % of people voting for Clinton.

I just wanted to clarify - you're saying in heavily Republican areas that get a lot of govt money, it's the 30% that are Democrats that are sucking it all up..?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 02:32:06 PM »

Good.

For years we've heard about how millions in taxpayer money goes to useless things. The amount of money our Government wastes is ridiculous.

Brave words for a man from a public sector household. But I suppose that was different because reasons.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2017, 04:32:00 PM by St. Alphonso »

I just wanted to clarify - you're saying in heavily Republican areas that get a lot of govt money, it's the 30% that are Democrats that are sucking it all up..?

Not all but many yes. Do you think it's the wealthy people in Appalachia voting democrat? Even in poor areas the majority of people don't get government aid. A lot of middle and working class people in these areas resent the poor who live off the government and don't work and that's why they vote republican.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »

Mulvaney: spending on climate change is a "waste of money": https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/842464807064375296?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Is it fair to call these goons comic book villains, or is that too generous?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2017, 04:44:20 PM »

This doesn't even include all of the programs from Cabinet Agencies that are being cut.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 04:46:12 PM »

West Virginia is one state that gets back more money than it puts into the federal government. It has had more deaths than birth within a span of a few years and has almost no one moving in. Put all that together and it's hard to believe that a large chunk of Republican voters aren't getting assistance.

In Kentucky, the highest welfare rate counties are over 80% Republican. In contrast, counties that swung Democratic were mostly in the top ten of per capita income.
senyor_brownbear
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2017, 05:39:48 PM »

Are there any sensible eliminations from this list?  There's probably some redundancy or vestigial agencies still in place?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »

Are there any sensible eliminations from this list?  There's probably some redundancy or vestigial agencies still in place?

Try literally all of them... most of these things are nothing more than feel good money pits for the wealthy to "study".  The government does NOT need to be funding them. 
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »

1) citation?

2) which government services are you exactly talking about?

3) you really believe reality is that clean cut....

4).... or all people who get money from the government aren't working?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 06:07:16 PM »

Try literally all of them... most of these things are nothing more than feel good money pits for the wealthy to "study".  The government does NOT need to be funding them. 

This. Kill them all! I hope he sledgehammers the miscellaneous  USDA and DOE graft in future budgets too.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 06:08:57 PM »

This. Kill them all! I hope he sledgehammers the miscellaneous  USDA and DOE graft in future budgets too.

K.  Because the African Foundation and the Peace Club are clearly on the same level.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2017, 06:09:10 PM »

This. Kill them all! I hope he sledgehammers the miscellaneous  USDA and DOE graft in future budgets too.
Typical republicans, cut programs like these to kill more people with the military and give more money to the rich.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »

I posted this is an older thread, but I'm asking this again because it's kind of important to me:

Suppose these programs are actually eliminated, what happens after Trump and thugs get voted out of office?  Can the funding be restored very easily?

Actually, do the programs themselves disappear necessarily due to lack of funding, or are they likely to get private subsidies and donations?

(specifically interested in the future of AmeriCorps)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2017, 06:45:20 PM »

This doesn't even include all of the programs from Cabinet Agencies that are being cut.

That's just the list for total elimination, as the title says.

Are there any sensible eliminations from this list?  There's probably some redundancy or vestigial agencies still in place?

Try literally all of them... most of these things are nothing more than feel good money pits for the wealthy to "study".  The government does NOT need to be funding them.  

Like AmeriCorps? See my thread for the tangible results from that.

How about PBS?

Not sure about the Chemical Safety Board, but hopefully there's someone else checking that.

Legal Services for the poor? That should definitely be kept!!
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »

This. Kill them all! I hope he sledgehammers the miscellaneous  USDA and DOE graft in future budgets too.
Typical republicans, cut programs like these to kill more people with the military and give more money to the rich.

You need a military. Read the damn Constitution. Obama destroyed the military, that is one thing that I was disappointed in him with.

Cut across the board. Both parties have their scapegoats in these departments. Both sides are hypocritical. This is why I am a Independent.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2017, 07:16:02 PM »

Go away.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2017, 07:20:34 PM »

Clearly the military isn't getting enough money, and it's the arts and education that are hogging all of the funding. Roll Eyes What a sad day.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2017, 08:08:57 PM »

Are there any sensible eliminations from this list?  There's probably some redundancy or vestigial agencies still in place?

Try literally all of them... most of these things are nothing more than feel good money pits for the wealthy to "study".  The government does NOT need to be funding them.  

You need a military. Read the damn Constitution. Obama destroyed the military, that is one thing that I was disappointed in him with.

Cut across the board. Both parties have their scapegoats in these departments. Both sides are hypocritical. This is why I am a Independent.

Obama "destroyed" the military ? ? ?

Thinking that kind of budget is an example of a "destroyed" military through budget cuts is NOT a centrist view.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2017, 08:19:32 PM »

There's something about a 70 year old human-pig hybrid who lives in a golden suite at the top of a golden tower, deciding that Meals on Wheels is too much money, that really encapsulates Republican economic policy.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2017, 08:40:55 PM »

To be fair, the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars only gets about 1/3 of its funding from the government.  Also, I'm a huge fan of cutting anything with his name on it.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2017, 09:25:41 PM »

Trump's budget is going nowhere in Congress: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-budget-republicans-capitol-hill-236146

As a reminder, Presidential budgets are really just meaningless policy documents. Congress rarely goes along with it.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2017, 09:30:51 PM »

cvparty
United States