Trump adm. cuts....community poverty funds, Appalachian economy grants, etc etc (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:15:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump adm. cuts....community poverty funds, Appalachian economy grants, etc etc (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump adm. cuts....community poverty funds, Appalachian economy grants, etc etc  (Read 3344 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« on: March 16, 2017, 11:02:28 AM »

Good.

For years we've heard about how millions in taxpayer money goes to useless things. The amount of money our Government wastes is ridiculous.

What is your understanding of what these departments actually do (and please be as specific and comprehensive as possible)?  I'm genuinely curious since I've found many folks who say stuff like what you did in your post don't realize things like the following:

- The Department of Energy is (among other things) responsible for America's nuclear weapons program (and keeping our nukes secure).

- HHS includes the Food and Drug Administration which (among other things) preforms tests to make sure that new drugs are safe (in other words, the FDA is not some useless bloat of federal regulations, it prevents needless deaths by forcing drug companies to...you know...actually worry every now and then about whether or not the medications they produce are actually safe). 

- The Department of Commerce's sub-departments include NOAA (which, among other things, helps provide us with early warnings when major hurricanes are on track to hit the U.S. so we can prepare accordingly) and the Patent and Trademark Office.

- The Department of Labor is responsible (among other things) for ensuring that the conditions in mines are safe (or at least as safe as possible) for the miners (yes, that includes coal-miners).

- Etc, etc, etc

I think they will, but we shall see.

ofc it's possible that they are ideological or anti-materialist enough that they don't care but until now republicans usually only talked the talk when "screwing" their base of older, working-class rurals.

let's see how much they like ryan-ism, i couldn't agree more.

Hint: he - despite the faux outrage he might express both at me for saying such and at the broader, elitist notion of GOP rural types being dumb cretins - is betting on them being too dumb to notice and/or care.

The thing is that even if they don't know the name of the exact programs, folks will certainly notice the impact of the cuts (assuming they go through, which is far from certain) and they won't like it, to say the least.  Ultimately, most Americans want a strong military, a large social safety net, a healthy public education system, strong infrastructure and public works programs, a government that performs a wide variety of functions beyond the most basic ones, low college tuition, etc, etc...but they also don't want to pay for it.  What's more, many folks seem to have adopted a "what you need is wasteful spending and what I need are critical government functions" attitude toward government spending which naturally has made things even worse.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies