US states consider laws allowing Creationism to be taught by science teachers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:49:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US states consider laws allowing Creationism to be taught by science teachers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support allowing Creationism to be taught by science teachers in public school classrooms?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: US states consider laws allowing Creationism to be taught by science teachers  (Read 4204 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« on: March 16, 2017, 12:05:16 PM »

Yes, I wish I was taught the truth in school.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 02:18:05 PM »

If it is taught in an elective class yes but not in a science class
All science classes should be electives, except for math. I do agree that evolution should be taught in science classes.

The only required classes in school should be math, post-classical European history including the secular study of Abrahamic religions, and civics. Why is teaching Darwinian evolution to every student a good thing?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »

If it is taught in an elective class yes but not in a science class
All science classes should be electives, except for math. I do agree that evolution should be taught in science classes.

The only required classes in school should be math, post-classical European history including the secular study of Abrahamic religions, and civics. Why is teaching Darwinian evolution to every student a good thing?

Students would benefit from a solid conception of how the world operates. If science can be dispensed with, then why not math after the grade school level?
Yes, but the definition of "the world" we live in is subjective and metaphysical. I never suggested dispensing with science, I am saying that our education system ought to reflect our founding principle of individual liberty. The only reason I would keep math, European history and civics is because I believe those are necessary subjects to ensure that the education system can "civilize" and integrate children into our society, which should be the first and only social objective of public education.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 03:11:36 PM »

This may be true, but surely you acknowledge the utility of the axiom of existence?  I contend that the study of the natural world with the presupposition of us being able to make conclusions about the natural world based on observation and experimentation, through the reliability of our own sciences - is the key driver of the massive increase of our quality of life over the past 400 years.  So much economic growth is the result of technology, which has its roots in scientific innovations that came form the scientific method, and the worldview associated with it.  if you want to talk about forces that have "civilized" society and brought us forward as a people, surely science has to be at the top of the list?
In my opinion, courage and individualism are the things which have caused most of the improvements in quality of life over the past 400 years, including scientific discovery. It is no coincidence that the Miracle of Europe and the Protestant Reformation paved the way for this. There were many great pre-modern scientists in the Arab and Asian world before this, but humanity has never risen on such a steep upward trajectory as it has under Western leadership. I would argue that Western civilization's great scientific discoveries were not made because our society as a whole was obsessed about the natural world, but because we were obsessed about the human world, and perhaps even the spiritual world. It was this thirst and courageous spirit that led European nations to explore, colonize, and dominate the entire world, including making great discoveries in the natural sciences.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies