US states consider laws allowing Creationism to be taught by science teachers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:09:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US states consider laws allowing Creationism to be taught by science teachers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support allowing Creationism to be taught by science teachers in public school classrooms?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: US states consider laws allowing Creationism to be taught by science teachers  (Read 4190 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: March 16, 2017, 12:17:06 PM »

Creationism? In the same league as flat-earth and hollow-earth nonsense. It teaches no moral values.

So a bunch of people barely out of the hunter-gatherer stage of economic and social development get  natural history and earth science terribly wrong? What else would you expect?

The only way in which I could accept creationism as truth would be to accept that God created the Universe in six literal days to look more than 13 billion years old just to trick the rationalists and free-thinkers  into believing things that damn them to Hell for insufficient faith.  But even that requires blaspheming God as a vindictive forger.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 03:07:55 PM »

How about teaching both viewpoints? Or teaching evolution and at least mentioning the ideas of creationism?

We do not teach the Axis side of World War II. We do not teach the alternatives to the reality of the near-spherical earth not the center of the universe. We do not teach that astrology has value. We do not teach Afrocentrism. We do not teach sex education from the standpoint of sexual criminals. We do not teach about unicorns, leprechauns, griffons, and fire-breathing dragons as genuine living things.

Children need not be taught nonsense.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 08:35:04 AM »

Why? Forcing everyone to spend half of their time in high school on something only a fraction of them will find remotely useful sounds like hell.

Some could choose classes on sartorial elegance instead.

Heck, participation in music seems to correlate more strongly to educational success than anything direct. I did not need any course to teach me how to use a PC for web surfing; I simply played with the computer.

Drafting could be very useful.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 07:44:41 PM »

A science teacher who teaches creationism is teaching something other than science. Such a teacher might as well be teaching astrology.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 11:53:32 PM »

I doubt that he saw this:

A science teacher who teaches creationism is teaching something other than science. Such a teacher might as well be teaching astrology.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies