Justify eliminating the Corporation for National Community Service
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:34:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Justify eliminating the Corporation for National Community Service
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Justify eliminating the Corporation for National Community Service  (Read 1038 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2017, 05:04:28 PM »

Because I sure as Hell can't.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »

Because their is no innate inclination for altruism (which literally doesn't exist-yes, even in people like Tony Tongue) that requires government intervention. I'm all for programs like Medicare, Social Security, etc, as they are direct to citizen services. They aren't "altruistic" as the American people get various services in return for their tax contributions, while the CNCS programs (and others like the Peace Corps) extend beyond basic public services.

Programs like AmericCorps, etc can be executed more efficiently on a local level. I don't see what purpose the corporation serves. Why not just appropriate the money to each individual state in block grants via the regular budgetary process?

Sure is great to have President Trump cutting the fat. I'd wish he'd scale back the military budget rather than increase it and instead invest that money in building back up our national infrastructure at last.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 05:47:37 PM »

Because the government does not need to fund it??? What he said^

There are so many cute, nice sounding things the government could waste the taxpayer money on, doesnt mean they have to!
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 07:02:05 PM »

Because their is no innate inclination for altruism (which literally doesn't exist-yes, even in people like Tony Tongue) that requires government intervention. I'm all for programs like Medicare, Social Security, etc, as they are direct to citizen services. They aren't "altruistic" as the American people get various services in return for their tax contributions, while the CNCS programs (and others like the Peace Corps) extend beyond basic public services.

Programs like AmeriCorps, etc can be executed more efficiently on a local level. I don't see what purpose the corporation serves. Why not just appropriate the money to each individual state in block grants via the regular budgetary process?

Sure is great to have President Trump cutting the fat. I'd wish he'd scale back the military budget rather than increase it and instead invest that money in building back up our national infrastructure at last.

AmeriCorps is all about local communities, nonprofits, and public agencies applying for help with either direct service or capacity building, and in response getting AmeriCorps members assigned to them for a specific job. It's a grassroots approach to serve those in need.

The largest branch of it IS about helping to fund State programs, that meet grant standards.

It also benefits its service-oriented members. Many, but not all, AmeriCorps Member positions are geared towards those aged 18-24, as a sort of modern CCC from the New Deal era.
AmeriCorps Members may also receive up to 2 Segal Education Awards (of about $5800 each, tied to the Pell Grant), with one full award for completing one full term of service (for VISTAs that's 365 days, for the State/National/NCCC members it's usually at least 1700 hours within 10 months). In addition to a living stipend (which doesn't vary, but if you're working a normal 40-hours week, pays about $4-5/hour for State/National/VISTA and about $1-2/hour for NCCC Corps Members besides Team Leaders).

And yes, they do provide direct services:
This statistic is a little outdated, but definitely helps explain the scope of the difference AmeriCorps makes, with just this one example:

And some more:

Some of their indirect services, such as that VISTAs do, are even more valuable because they're all about building capacity of nonprofit programs, so they can be sustainable.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 07:06:22 PM »

Also, please read this:

https://www.cityyear.org/press-release/statement-michael-brown-ceo-and-co-founder-city-year-white-house-proposed

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 11:46:51 PM »

altruism (which literally doesn't exist-yes, even in people like Tony Tongue)

You think you're original? I hear/read that all the time in my classes and in the poli sci literature.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 10:21:06 PM »

Programs like AmericCorps, etc can be executed more efficiently on a local level. I don't see what purpose the corporation serves. Why not just appropriate the money to each individual state in block grants via the regular budgetary process?

AmeriCorps programs are executed on the local level already. The only part of CNCS that's nationally run is N triple-C.

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 11:01:02 AM »

AmeriCorps programs are executed on the local level already. The only part of CNCS that's nationally run is N triple-C.

And even then, the actual NCCC projects are the results of local nonprofits applying for them and designing their project. The national side just provides training, enforcement of regulations, supplies, logistics, and approval of projects.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies