Jesus' Teachings: which have you been most devoted to trying to follow?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:16:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Jesus' Teachings: which have you been most devoted to trying to follow?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Jesus' Teachings: which do you think fit you / you're doing "well enough" at?
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted.

Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled.

Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Feed the hungry.

Give water to the thirsty.

Clothe the naked.

Shelter the homeless.

Visit the sick.

Visit the imprisoned, or ransom the captive.

Bury the dead.

Loving God with all your heart, sould, mind, and strength.

Loving all others as Jesus loved you.

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Forgiving others (and you'll too be forgiven), not judging or condemning others.

Turning the other cheek.

Loving your enemies.

Treating others as you want to be treated.

Removing the log in your eye before attending the splinter in your friend's.

Hoping God's will be done on earth.

Forgive those who have sinned against us or indebted to us.

Not murder.

Not commit adultery.

Not steal.

Not testify falsely.

Not cheat anyone.

Honor your parents/guardians/elders.

Give all your possessions to the poor.

Become like little children.

Spead Jesus' teachings to all people of the world.

NONE OF THE ABOVE

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Jesus' Teachings: which have you been most devoted to trying to follow?  (Read 4409 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2017, 12:22:46 AM »
« edited: April 09, 2017, 10:49:00 AM by Blue3 »

The Beatitudes... the Works of Mercy... the Great Commandment... the New Commandment... the Lord's Prayer... the Sermons on the Mount and Plain... what he told the rich man asking for Eternal Life... the Great Commission... and more.
(Do you believe I've forgotten any that should be included with these above?)

Which do you think you're doing "well enough," since no one is perfect, though we should strive to be?

I figured this is a good things to reflect on and do some soul-searching, as Easter approaches (even if you decide not to vote or comment).

For those who aren't Christian, feel free to reflect and participate too!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:29:42 AM »

I've been abiding by all of the "don'ts" (thank God!), but none of the "dos". I'm pretty much a terrible person all around.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 02:09:46 AM »

There are a number that I'm deeply committed to and haven't disastrously screwed up on yet, but none that I'd make so bold as to say I'm doing "well enough" at (normal Christian).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:34:59 AM »

Unless you're referring to a different verse, you've got an error in your list. It should be “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and spread the news of the kingdom of God.” not "bury the dead".
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 12:22:26 PM »

There are a number that I'm deeply committed to and haven't disastrously screwed up on yet, but none that I'd make so bold as to say I'm doing "well enough" at (normal Christian).
Which are you deeply committed to? Maybe that should have been the words I used instead of "well enough." It was difficult to think of the right words to use.

I've been abiding by all of the "don'ts" (thank God!), but none of the "dos". I'm pretty much a terrible person all around.
Well it is very difficult, everyone falls short of the ideal. Which have you tried to do the hardest?

Unless you're referring to a different verse, you've got an error in your list. It should be “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and spread the news of the kingdom of God.” not "bury the dead".
I referred to this list, to make sure I wasn't forgetting any (and I did originally forget the water and the burying parts).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_of_mercy#Corporal_Works_of_Mercy
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 01:35:40 PM »

Well it is very difficult, everyone falls short of the ideal. Which have you tried to do the hardest?

I guess I'm kind of trying to be more forgiving and compassionate.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 03:21:50 PM »

I referred to this list, to make sure I wasn't forgetting any (and I did originally forget the water and the burying parts).
Tobit, which is where that comes from, is part of the Old Testament Apocrypha, not the gospels.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »

None.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thank God for the atonement or we'd all be screwed.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 05:53:16 PM »

Tobit, which is where that comes from, is part of the Old Testament Apocrypha, not the gospels.
My mistake, then.

Is there anything else I've either included by accident, or should have included?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 10:25:32 PM »

Splitting these into 3 rough sections:
1) don't commit a crime - doing well
2) good morals - so-so
3) helping the unfortunate - doing poorly
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 11:53:23 PM »

The entirety of my personal and political philosophy was essentially summed up by Jesus in his Sermon on the Mount. I try to live by that the best I can and I think I generally do well at most of it, although like any human I fall short due to my own imperfections. But I keep trying, and that's what counts, I think. I don't really commit any major sins, although I do wish I was more active in my community and more sociable so I could do more to help others in need. As for the more religious aspect of it, I'm awful with that. Plus turning the other cheek; I'm generally good at that, but there's definitely a limit I can't overcome.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 09:44:43 PM »

Temporarily changing thread title to underline that I'm also asking if I missed any.
Small L
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 12:22:43 PM »

How about the commands to eat His flesh, drink His blood, be born again, and say the Our Father?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »

How about the commands to eat His flesh, drink His blood, be born again, and say the Our Father?
... That is debatable for intradenominational levels.
Small L
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 07:20:51 PM »

... That is debatable for intradenominational levels.
True, but debatable commandments are the only ones I could think of not already covered in the list Tongue
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 07:44:08 PM »

No murder/adultery/steal
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 07:58:14 PM »

Temporarily changing thread title to underline that I'm also asking if I missed any.

Not sure if it's missed per se, but I think it's pretty easy for the uninitiated to confuse the standard definition's of murder and adultery with Jesus Christ's definition.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »

Not sure if it's missed per se, but I think it's pretty easy for the uninitiated to confuse the standard definition's of murder and adultery with Jesus Christ's definition.
True. Those were the only two that Jesus elaborated in that way, right?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 07:18:58 PM »

This.  The true responses should be 0 for every single one of these teachings, in the sense that no one fulfills them to God's standard.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 07:31:46 PM »

This.  The true responses should be 0 for every single one of these teachings, in the sense that no one fulfills them to God's standard.
I'm not asking if people fulfill them to God's standard. I said in the beginning that no one does.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 08:41:04 PM »

I'm not asking if people fulfill them to God's standard. I said in the beginning that no one does.

The point is that "well enough" is meeting God's standard.  If anything less were acceptable, then Jesus wouldn't have had to die on a cross for our sins.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 10:02:54 PM »

It might not have been Jesus who said it, but is "judge not lest he be judged" on the list?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 10:37:20 PM »

It might not have been Jesus who said it, but is "judge not lest he be judged" on the list?
He did. and it is, combined with "forgive and you'll be forgiven"

The point is that "well enough" is meeting God's standard.  If anything less were acceptable, then Jesus wouldn't have had to die on a cross for our sins.
But my point is that I didn't want anyone to think "well enough" in the question is meeting God's standard.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 10:50:02 AM »

Happy Palm Sunday!

I changed the title to better reflect what I meant.

Any more votes, explanations?
(or teachings I forgot?)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 04:45:28 PM »

Forgiving others.

And not cheating others.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »