Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:46:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30
Author Topic: Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45)  (Read 55488 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2017, 09:29:15 PM »

I hate to say it but the Filibuster has to go at some point for the Republic to continue to function. This was my position when the Dems were in the majority and it continues to be my position now. It may just be better to just get rid of it now and let the GOP take the consequences if there are any (there probably won't be because hardly anyone cares about procedure outside of ultra-partisan hacks and political nerds like us.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2017, 09:32:55 PM »

I hate to say it but the Filibuster has to go at some point for the Republic to continue to function. This was my position when the Dems were in the majority and it continues to be my position now. It may just be better to just get rid of it now and let the GOP take the consequences if there are any (there probably won't be because hardly anyone cares about procedure outside of ultra-partisan hacks and political nerds like us.

This whole system of government has to go if the Republic is to continue to function.  It's not working anymore.  We need to get rid of the imperial presidency and neuter the Senate.
Klartext89

« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2017, 02:55:09 AM »

This is an interesting theory. Quite illogical of course. I have no idea what obstructed means, other than that your political party was routed in the 2010 elections and the power of the House of Representatives was given to the Republican Party.

Not sure who the 2nd Republican administration is either?

the democrats could have obstructed the shoot out of the GWB administration - and they ofc did not and it was the right call.

the republicans made it necessary to pulverize the old rules.... i like politeness but if it doesn't work, it must go. better 8 years of hardcore republicanism than 16 years without even being able to do anything, cause we are meant to be the "mature" party...most overrated political category ever.

Your lies are becoming highly naughty.

The Dems blocked Bushs judicial nominations until the Gang of 14 Deal in 2005. There was an amount of blockade never seen before. Maybe you should Google for e.g. Miguel Estrada.

Also the Dems started the SCOTUS fights back in 1987. Killing a highly qualified nominee because of political reasons but now whining when it backfires. Childish.

I doubt that you don't know that, so let me ask clearly: Why are you lying?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2017, 03:00:50 AM »

Sickening. Attempting to confirm a nominee while there is a Presidential campaign, as the President already filed his re-election campaign, goes against everything that the Republicans stood for last year. I say let's wait four years and let the American people, not the electoral college decide our next Supreme Court Justice!
Klartext89

« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2017, 03:18:59 AM »

Sickening. Attempting to confirm a nominee while there is a Presidential campaign, as the President already filed his re-election campaign, goes against everything that the Republicans stood for last year. I say let's wait four years and let the American people, not the electoral college decide our next Supreme Court Justice!

That's the sort of humour that is totally ok. Also the ones joking that Trump should not pick one in his final year.

Let's stop the hate (and lies about the Dems record of obstructing).
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2017, 03:19:50 AM »

If the senate doesn't want Gorsuch, they should show it properly - by actually voting him down. As sickening as it was to see a stellar nominee get ignored last year, two wrongs never make a right.
EnglishPete

« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2017, 06:12:00 AM »

This is an interesting theory. Quite illogical of course. I have no idea what obstructed means, other than that your political party was routed in the 2010 elections and the power of the House of Representatives was given to the Republican Party.

the democrats could have obstructed the shoot out of the GWB administration - and they ofc did not and it was the right call.

the republicans made it necessary to pulverize the old rules.... i like politeness but if it doesn't work, it must go. better 8 years of hardcore republicanism than 16 years without even being able to do anything, cause we are meant to be the "mature" party...most overrated political category ever.

The Dems blocked Bushs judicial nominations until the Gang of 14 Deal in 2005. There was an amount of blockade never seen before. Maybe you should Google for e.g. Miguel Estrada.

Also the Dems started the SCOTUS fights back in 1987. Killing a highly qualified nominee because of political reasons but now whining when it backfires. Childish.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2017, 07:44:16 AM »

Let's tone this down. Characterizing another poster's content as "lies" when it is really just your opinion, is inflammatory, and can lead to flame wars. Even though flame wars can be entertaining, the purpose of this site is for calm and civil discussion. Please try to remember that. Thanks.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2017, 04:48:04 PM »

At some point somebody is going to have to stop "retaliating" for everything, or at least deescalate slightly, right?

...right?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2017, 06:24:51 PM »

At some point somebody is going to have to stop "retaliating" for everything, or at least deescalate slightly, right?

...right?

Doesn't seem likely. The American people literally hate each other, so until either side's interest groups stop trying to double-down we're in for a bumpy ride.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2017, 08:30:27 PM »

The best imaginable deal is:
- No filibuster against Gorsuch
- Democrats allow free conscience vote(no whipping)
- Kennedy(if he retires or dies) must be replaced by a moderate
- A Democratic Justice must be replaced by someone like Merrick Garland(provide shortlist of Justices between Garland, Breyer, and Sandra Day O'Connor)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2017, 08:46:41 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2017, 08:49:00 PM by krazen1211 »

But they did! On this issue the Democrat party blocked John Roberts nomination to the DC Circuit in 1991-92, and again in 2001-02. He was only confirmed after the GOP won the Senate. When Samuel Alito was nominated to the Supreme Court numerous Senate Democrats including Ted Kennedy, Barry,  two time Loser Hillary, Joe Biden, and John Kerry all voted to filibuster.

Those people needed to answer for their bad behavior. And Mitch made them do so!

On cabinet nominations, who was it who pulverized the rules? The Democrat party. Who was it who suggested that the rules be pulverized for nominations to the Supreme Court but forgot to win the election? Loser Vice Presidential Candidate Tim Kaine!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2017, 08:56:43 PM »

- A Democratic Justice must be replaced by someone like Merrick Garland(provide shortlist of Justices between Garland, Breyer, and Sandra Day O'Connor)

Hah. Trump's less trustworthy than rabid weasel.  Just ask all the contractors he's stiffed.

The bet imaginable outcome is:
-Democrats filibuster every nominee until the election is over.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2017, 10:42:08 PM »

The best Ideal, and something that both parties could live with, would be if both parties start realizing that the reason they fight so much over Supreme Court nominations is because the Supreme Court is so blatantly political, and that's because both parties have been appointing people because of ideology. Democrats appoint staunchly liberal people, or maybe some moderates, and Republicans appoint staunchly conservative people, and some moderates. But we should all be looking for the most objective people to appoint to the Supreme Court. If most, or all, of the Justices were people like Oliver Wendell Holmes, Benjamin Cardozo, and Hugo Black then the Court would not be so blatantly political, it would be objective. (And don't confuse being moderate with being objective. They are not the same things.)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2017, 02:56:31 AM »

Hah. Trump's less trustworthy than rabid weasel.  Just ask all the contractors he's stiffed.

The bet imaginable outcome is:
-Democrats filibuster every nominee until the election is over.

A few GOP votes would ensure this. Collins, Murkowski, Heller, Portman, Capito, Paul, McCain, Flake, Graham, Gardner, Rubio, Johnson, and Toomey would all either be willing or feel obliged to consider it. There are at least six or seven GOP Senators who would pledge to this or face the wrath of the voters and Democratic fundraisers.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2017, 03:59:40 PM »

Schumer says he has enough Democrats to prevent 60 votes on Gorsuch (meaning fewer than 8 Democratic defections). However, Politico's count has 13 Democrats that are either undecided or have not announced their intentions:

Tim Kaine (Up for reelection in 2018)
Joe Manchin (Trump state, up for reelection in 2018)
Jon Tester (Trump state, up for reelection in 2018)
Michael Bennett
Amy Klobuchar (Trump state, up for reelection in 2018)
Angus King (Up for reelection in 2018)
Claire McCaskill (Trump state, up for reelection in 2018)
Mark Warner
Chris Coons
Maggie Hassan
Joe Donnelly (Trump state, up for reelection in 2018)
Bill Nelson (Trump state, up for reelection in 2018)
Heidi Heitkamp (Trump state, up for reelection in 2018)

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/gorsuch-democrats-supreme-court-236384

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/3/24/1647085/-Schumer-says-he-has-votes-to-filibuster-Gorsuch-but-at-least-13-Dem-senators-remain-on-the-fence
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2017, 04:01:41 PM »

Looking at that list, it reads like 57-43 to me, with Manchin, Tester, King, Donnelly, and Heitkamp going for cloture. Followed five minutes later by the nuclear option.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2017, 04:12:36 PM »

Schumer says he has enough Democrats to prevent 60 votes on Gorsuch (meaning fewer than 8 Democratic defections). However, Politico's count has 13 Democrats that are either undecided or have not announced their intentions:

Michael Bennett
Mark Warner
Chris Coons
Maggie Hassan

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/3/24/1647085/-Schumer-says-he-has-votes-to-filibuster-Gorsuch-but-at-least-13-Dem-senators-remain-on-the-fence

McCaskill already said she'd support a filibuster.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »

Michael Bennett
Mark Warner
Chris Coons
Maggie Hassan

That's odd.  If they want to force McConnell to go nuclear (or hope Trump offers a more moderate nominee), then all of the Trump state Dems other than in MI/PA/WI should be encouraged to vote against the filibuster.  As long as they have 41 elsewhere, voting to filibuster can only hurt their reelection campaigns.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2017, 05:59:26 PM »

Michael Bennett
Mark Warner
Chris Coons
Maggie Hassan

Quick correction: Trump lost Minnesota, but it was close, and I think will be more competitive in the future. (I don't really think Klobuchar is an any danger, as much as I think she's overrated.)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2017, 06:03:56 PM »

Michael Bennett
Mark Warner
Chris Coons
Maggie Hassan

That's odd.  If they want to force McConnell to go nuclear (or hope Trump offers a more moderate nominee), then all of the Trump state Dems other than in MI/PA/WI should be encouraged to vote against the filibuster.  As long as they have 41 elsewhere, voting to filibuster can only hurt their reelection campaigns.

It won't hurt anyone's re-election campaign.  
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2017, 12:18:28 PM »

Bill Nelson says he will vote NO on Gorsuch, for cloture and confirmation.

Burgess Everett‏ @burgessev
Oh boy: @SenBillNelson "will vote no on the motion to invoke cloture and, if that succeeds, I will vote no on his confirmation" on Gorsuch

Meanwhile, Pat Leahy says he will vote NO on Gorsuch for confirmation, but is Undecided on cloture.

Sen. Patrick Leahy‏ @SenatorLeahy  2h2 hours ago
I am never inclined to filibuster a SCOTUS nom. But I need to see how Judge Gorsuch answers my written Qs, under oath, before deciding.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »

I've read some rumblings that the Republicans don't have the votes for the nuclear option.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2017, 01:21:03 PM »

I've read some rumblings that the Republicans don't have the votes for the nuclear option.

Where?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »

Looking at that list, it reads like 57-43 to me, with Manchin, Tester, King, Donnelly, and Heitkamp going for cloture. Followed five minutes later by the nuclear option.

add Warner, Bennett, and Coons, and that's 60.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies