Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:19:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 30
Author Topic: Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45)  (Read 55564 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: April 06, 2017, 11:35:19 AM »

Revote on cloture - 51 votes needed.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #551 on: April 06, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »

Agreed. I sent an angry email to Sen Warner today calling him a hypocrite, a coward, a dissapointment, and informing him that he wouldn't get any more of my votes since he's decided to become a hack without principles and treat a good judge like garbage. Sent a similar email to Sen. Kaine, but i never voted for him so it was less preachy and indignant.
elcorazon

« Reply #552 on: April 06, 2017, 11:38:30 AM »

Democrats will be thankful that the Republicans killed the filibuster for them once they're back in the majority.
sadly, that likely won't be until at least 2020.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #553 on: April 06, 2017, 11:39:11 AM »

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #554 on: April 06, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »

Agreed. I sent an angry email to Sen Warner today calling him a hypocrite, a coward, a dissapointment, and informing him that he wouldn't get any more of my votes since he's decided to become a hack without principles and treat a good judge like garbage. Sent a similar email to Sen. Kaine, but i never voted for him so it was less preachy and indignant.

Give me a break. Republicans didn't even try to nominate a consensus candidate.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #555 on: April 06, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »

Next time the Democrats have total control they should stack the court by adding like 6 liberal justices at once. It would only be fair.

That would require the Dems to eliminate the legislative filibuster.

Also, you seem to be using a very loose definition of "fair" here.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #556 on: April 06, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »

Did you also send an angry email to every Republican senator a year ago when they actually decided to treat a good judge like garbage?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #557 on: April 06, 2017, 11:43:33 AM »

The way GOP hacks talk about "compromise candidates", I think they wouldn't be satisfied unless Dems nominated an Oujia board so we can get Scalia's opinions straight from the pits of hell.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #558 on: April 06, 2017, 11:44:16 AM »

Donnelly: AYE
Heitkamp: AYE
Manchin: AYE
Bennet: NAY

Vote is 49-40 in favor
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #559 on: April 06, 2017, 11:44:37 AM »

And Democrats didnt even pretend to give Gorsuch a fair hearing, which they just spent an entire year whining about. Yes i know, "iz a stolez seat. Teh rules say the Democratic Party forever owns that seat."
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #560 on: April 06, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »

I can forgive Democratic Senators in Republican states voting for cloture and confirming Gorsuch, but I cannot forgive a Senate Democrat who votes to nuke the filibuster on SC nominees.

No one did that, not even Manchin. Also keep in mind that several Democrats from states Trump won in a landslide aren't even supporting Gorsuch.

I know, I made that comment before they voted.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #561 on: April 06, 2017, 11:47:37 AM »

And Democrats didnt even pretend to give Gorsuch a fair hearing, which they just spent an entire year whining about. Yes i know, "iz a stolez seat. Teh rules say the Democratic Party forever owns that seat."

Uh, they participated in the entire hearing. Their questions may have been tough, but they were all fair. They met with the nominee. Many kept an open mind, at least on the CLOTURE vote, throughout the entire process. Gorsuch was treated fairly. Just because you didn't like that the questions weren't sugar coated doesn't mean the process wasn't fair.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #562 on: April 06, 2017, 11:47:44 AM »

Did you also send an angry email to every Republican senator a year ago when they actually decided to treat a good judge like garbage?

I certainly complained about the Republicans and agreed with Democrats that not holding a vote was douchey , but its not like I have a Republican Senator to write, and something tells me Susan Collins could care less if a Virginian wrote her to complain.
elcorazon

« Reply #563 on: April 06, 2017, 11:47:58 AM »

listen to yourself. A year whining? Gorsuch has only been named for 2 months. You're complaining that the hearing wasn't fair? How so? But denying a hearing at all to Garland WAS FAIR? You're nothing but a partisan hack who regurgitates the party line. This country is going down the tubes with our idiot leader and Republicans are fiddling while America burns.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #564 on: April 06, 2017, 11:48:18 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2017, 11:49:52 AM by Confused Democrat »

At least they had the courtesy to give Gorsuch a hearing. I can't say the same for the Republicans who treated Garland like garbage.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #565 on: April 06, 2017, 11:48:48 AM »

No nominee is entitled to an aye vote from any senator. Democrats showed up to the confirmation hearings. They asked questions of Gorsuch and subjected him to the same scrutiny as any other nominee. They showed up to cast their votes on his confirmation. They did their jobs, and they did their constitutional duty. Republicans did none of those things last year.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #566 on: April 06, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »

CLOTURE VOTE passes 55-45
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #567 on: April 06, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »

Re-vote on cloture under the new rules passes, 55-45. Gorsuch now free to be confirmed tomorrow.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #568 on: April 06, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »

No nominee is entitled to an aye vote from any senator. Democrats showed up to the confirmation hearings. They asked questions of Gorsuch and subjected him to the same scrutiny as any other nominee. They showed up to cast their votes on his confirmation. They did their jobs, and they did their constitutional duty. Republicans did none of those things last year.

This. I'm done with this bull.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #569 on: April 06, 2017, 11:51:06 AM »

Republicans not letting Dems let ANY nominee through, including Cruz and McCain talking about never confirming any potential Hillary nominees = "douchey"

Dems not voting for a Republican judge, forcing a filibuster they know will get nuked anyway = Cowards, disappointments, fills me anger, what complete hacks.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #570 on: April 06, 2017, 11:52:29 AM »

Senators now get 30 hours to bash each other.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #571 on: April 06, 2017, 11:52:52 AM »

Cornyn is making the Klartext argument now.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #572 on: April 06, 2017, 11:54:48 AM »

Today also shows you how inane the "Joe Manchin is to the right of Susan Collins" claim is.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #573 on: April 06, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »

manchin is the most honest man in this debate....was against changes in 2013 and is against them now.

well, rejoice, republicans are killing the tool they need most.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #574 on: April 06, 2017, 11:59:41 AM »

You reap what Harry Reid sows.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies