2017 French Presidential Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:25:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2017 French Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 39
Author Topic: 2017 French Presidential Election  (Read 103755 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2017, 05:27:37 AM »

The far-right candidate may even have the backing of more than 30 per cent of voters ahead of the presidential elections in late April and May, it has been claimed.
In an article for French newspaper Le Figaro, columnist Ivan Rioufol says the statistics comes from 'hidden surveys'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4335534/Is-Marine-Le-Pen-actually-miles-ahead-French-polls.html

Somehow I knew the Daily Mail comments would be pro-Le Pen.

"Hidden" polls ... Roll Eyes

Anyway, polls before the Austrian 1st round were also off by a lot (by more than 10 points), but that's because Hofer was a popular politician.

Le Pen is not.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2017, 07:09:56 AM »

The far-right candidate may even have the backing of more than 30 per cent of voters ahead of the presidential elections in late April and May, it has been claimed.
In an article for French newspaper Le Figaro, columnist Ivan Rioufol says the statistics comes from 'hidden surveys'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4335534/Is-Marine-Le-Pen-actually-miles-ahead-French-polls.html

Somehow I knew the Daily Mail comments would be pro-Le Pen.
Also, if you look at the worst rated comments, they are ALL anti-Le Pen comments, not suprisingly.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2017, 07:18:15 AM »

Hollande "condemns with the utmost firmness the false allegations of Fillon"

Fillon made also a disgusting comparison by saying that his situation made him think of Bérégovoy (French PM who committed suicide after an electoral defeat and some scandal)

Bérégovoy was a very strange suicide and totally different to Fillon. He's completely lost it but the LR is not powerful enough.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2017, 07:35:05 AM »

Fillon made also a disgusting comparison by saying that his situation made him think of Bérégovoy (French PM who committed suicide after an electoral defeat and some scandal)

Wow. This guy is like if you take Donald Trump and Benjamin Netanyahu, mash them together and make it even worse.

And a slight touch of Erdogan. Didn't someone on this forum have a theory about Erdogan having a brain tumor? I think that theory might also apply to Fillon.

I wouldn't count out Fillon yet btw. If Fillon has two strong debates and Macron has a scandal (legal trouble or something about his past as a Rotschild banker) Fillon might squeak it to a second place. Fillon's base of old Catholic rural conservatives will turn out for him anyway. But if Fillon still makes it, it will be because Macron completely flopped.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #179 on: March 24, 2017, 07:38:52 AM »

For the record he was assassinated.

Bérégovoy was a very strange suicide and totally different to Fillon. He's completely lost it but the LR is not powerful enough.
DL
Canada

« Reply #180 on: March 24, 2017, 11:47:17 AM »

I wouldn't count out Fillon yet btw. If Fillon has two strong debates and Macron has a scandal (legal trouble or something about his past as a Rotschild banker) Fillon might squeak it to a second place. Fillon's base of old Catholic rural conservatives will turn out for him anyway. But if Fillon still makes it, it will be because Macron completely flopped.

Yeah well the debate that matters most was the one this past week - and Fillon was widely viewed as having flopped. The next two debates are 11 way free for alls where it will be almost impossible for him to have much impact.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #181 on: March 24, 2017, 12:21:44 PM »

For the record he was assassinated.

Not according to the official report. But yeah, sketchy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #182 on: March 24, 2017, 02:36:28 PM »

Didn't someone on this forum have a theory about Erdogan having a brain tumor?

It started as a joke, but then Events turned it into a half-serious suggestion...
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #183 on: March 24, 2017, 05:21:15 PM »

Polls

OpinionWay
Le Pen: 25% (=)
Macron: 24% (-1)
Fillon: 19% (=)
Mélenchon: 14% (+1)
Hamon: 11% (-1)

Second round: Macron 63% (=), Le Pen 37%

Ifop
Macron: 26% (=)
Le Pen: 25% (=)
Fillon: 18% (=)
Mélenchon: 13% (+0.5)
Hamon: 10.5% (-0.5)

Second round: Macron 61.5% (=), Le Pen 38.5%

BVA
Macron: 26% (+1 from a week ago)
Le Pen: 25% (-1)
Fillon: 17% (-2.5)
Mélenchon: 14% (+2)
Hamon: 11.5% (-1)

Second round: Macron 62% (=), Le Pen 38%
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #184 on: March 24, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »

Are many Hamon supporters switching to Mélenchon? Or are they not bothering since Mélenchon doesn't have that much of a chance at making top two, either?
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #185 on: March 24, 2017, 06:01:59 PM »

Well Monday's debate clearly had a positive effect on Mélenchon and a negative one on Hamon. Are they voters directly switching from the latter to the former? It's anyone's guess, but I'd say at least half of the effect is indeed just that, the other half being lukewarm Hamon voters quitting and abstentionists now choosing Méluche.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #186 on: March 24, 2017, 06:14:51 PM »

As with any debate, probably best to wait a week or two before we draw any conclusions.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2017, 07:33:35 PM »

lolfillonlol

Also, yeah, if history is any indication Le Pen is probably going to overperform by a couple of points. Still not nearly what she needs to have a serious shot.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2017, 07:49:45 PM »

Well Monday's debate clearly had a positive effect on Mélenchon and a negative one on Hamon. Are they voters directly switching from the latter to the former? It's anyone's guess, but I'd say at least half of the effect is indeed just that, the other half being lukewarm Hamon voters quitting and abstentionists now choosing Méluche.
CAN'T SPOOK THE JEAN LUC!
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »

There's little conclusive evidence of the FN systematically and substantially overperforming their pre-election polling, ftr.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2017, 10:25:55 PM »

There's little conclusive evidence of the FN systematically and substantially overperforming their pre-election polling, ftr.
Yup.
Polling in France is largely relevant.
If there are some flaws in polling, I'd say Macron overperforms.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #191 on: March 24, 2017, 11:30:23 PM »

By the way, will PS just stay aside and endorse Macron in 2022 if he seeks re-election by that moment?
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2017, 05:17:52 AM »

By the way, will PS just stay aside and endorse Macron in 2022 if he seeks re-election by that moment?

If Macron is elected I don't think that PS will still be a thing by 2022.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2017, 05:19:34 AM »

This. There will be some recomposition between 3 poles: the left (Mélenchon/Hamon electorate) , the center (around Macron) and the far right (Fillon/Le Pen)
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2017, 05:22:26 AM »

This. There will be some recomposition between 3 poles: the left (Mélenchon/Hamon electorate) , the center (around Macron) and the far right (Fillon/Le Pen)

Is Fillon really in the same category as Le Pen? By now he has become a complete joke but ideologically I wouldn't put him in the same category as Le Pen. He is very right-wing on immigration and social issues but I'm not sure whether that really makes him far-right. I'd only use that term for people like Trump, Wilders and Le Pen.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2017, 06:36:51 AM »

Is Fillon really in the same category as Le Pen? By now he has become a complete joke but ideologically I wouldn't put him in the same category as Le Pen. He is very right-wing on immigration and social issues but I'm not sure whether that really makes him far-right. I'd only use that term for people like Trump, Wilders and Le Pen.

No way on policy issues is Fillon far right, but commentators have noted how he has changed his style a lot since Pénélopegate. He used to be seen as calm collected and focussing on policy. Now he is very much looking at Sarkozy, who was in a similar position in 2012 campaign, and swung to the far right. Fillon's problem is that he will has come across a PS opposition to unite the hard Right.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2017, 06:43:46 AM »

And very right wing on economics.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2017, 07:36:28 AM »

and ofc an euro-sceptic putin-fan.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #198 on: March 25, 2017, 08:32:51 AM »

Yeah, I remember back in the dying days of the UMP where Fillon was the moderate to Cope's rightist.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #199 on: March 25, 2017, 09:36:38 AM »

I'm not sure if this was mentioned at the time, but two weeks ago, Robert Hue backed Macron.

The first Blairite-communist?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies