Clinton: 'I'm ready to come out of the woods'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:15:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Clinton: 'I'm ready to come out of the woods'
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Clinton: 'I'm ready to come out of the woods'  (Read 3183 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2017, 12:39:15 AM »

She's going to run in 2020, mark my words.

I wouldn't be surprised. She wants to be president more than anything else. There's nothing inherently wrong with that ambition, but is it feasible at this point for her? I doubt it.

Gotta ask you, where did you get the information that Hillary wants to be President more than anything else? I read a different angle, that she felt it was expected of her. I read that somewhere and the source of the info was Bill Clinton.

I always got the impression from articles like this one that the Clinton duo have always been in pursuit of the White House and the legacy they can leave for themselves. One of Bill Clinton's favorite books, one that he's quoted before, is "The Denial of Death". I found this to be a particularly bizarre book for a seemingly religious man and southern baptist to tout.

From Wikipedia about the book,
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The overall message of this book in spite of the likely religious disagreements that the Clinton's may have with the bolded part, have led me to believe that they both see higher office as being the mechanism in which they can "become immortal" in the way the book suggests by leaving a lasting legacy. I think this explains a lot of Bill and Hillary's motivations in regards to politics and how they view the world. And why I also think she's been planning for a run for President ever since the 90's and why she just might not be done yet in her endeavor.

Sorry Timmy but I can't read that article you linked to because it won't let me. (I have an ad-blocker on my computer.)

And regarding Clinton's list of books, you singled out just one book out of many good ones he listed. How can you deduce anything from just one book?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2017, 12:47:40 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised. She wants to be president more than anything else. There's nothing inherently wrong with that ambition, but is it feasible at this point for her? I doubt it.

Gotta ask you, where did you get the information that Hillary wants to be President more than anything else? I read a different angle, that she felt it was expected of her. I read that somewhere and the source of the info was Bill Clinton.

I always got the impression from articles like this one that the Clinton duo have always been in pursuit of the White House and the legacy they can leave for themselves. One of Bill Clinton's favorite books, one that he's quoted before, is "The Denial of Death". I found this to be a particularly bizarre book for a seemingly religious man and southern baptist to tout.

From Wikipedia about the book,

The overall message of this book in spite of the likely religious disagreements that the Clinton's may have with the bolded part, have led me to believe that they both see higher office as being the mechanism in which they can "become immortal" in the way the book suggests by leaving a lasting legacy. I think this explains a lot of Bill and Hillary's motivations in regards to politics and how they view the world. And why I also think she's been planning for a run for President ever since the 90's and why she just might not be done yet in her endeavor.

Sorry Timmy but I can't read that article you linked to because it won't let me. (I have an ad-blocker on my computer.)

And regarding Clinton's list of books, you singled out just one book out of many good ones he listed. How can you deduce anything from just one book?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2017, 01:07:37 AM »

I hope Clinton doesn't run. I respect her and I supported her, and I made the mistake of supporting her in the primary, but she is a terrible candidate and she won't be able to provide America with real change and set the country back on the right track. She had two chances, two golden opportunities at the presidency, and both times she blew it. She should step aside and let the Democratic Party reinvigorate itself and find new leadership not the failed Clinton establishment that threw away the 2016 election and gave the Republicans control of both houses, the Supreme Court and the states. Clinton should not run for President again, though it will tempt her rationally it is a terrible idea, though she can help the Democrats rebuild, be an elder stateswoman, enjoy retirement and I wouldn't mind Mayor Hillary either. But 'coming out of the woods' must not entail a 2020 run.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2017, 01:15:19 AM »

I doubt it, unless McCaskill wins. If that happens, I give up on predicting politics.

If that happens, there is truly no hope left for the country.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2017, 02:06:40 AM »

"Thank God." - the woods
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2017, 02:20:27 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 02:22:04 AM by Semon Dye »

I don't hate Clinton. She's great. She was very wronged, very wronged. Society's persecution of her proves the worst.

No, the American people and the world were wronger by her incompetence, giving the presidency to Trump. Making her a martyr saint shows people still don't understand what happened and why.

Oh, we understand what happened. This country is so misogynistic it would rather elect Donald Trump than a conventional politician who happens to be a progressive woman.

Yet more people voted for that woman than the orange specimen.

She had it within an inch, but she blew it in historical proportions. Sorry, I'm not feeling bad for incompetent politicians and inept candidates. When you fail because of events beyond your control, it's frustrating, but understandable. When you fail because you screwed up, you should go away.

Al Gore was no victim too. He won the PV and lost the winnable race because of his own mistakes. At least he had decency to move on.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2017, 07:26:51 AM »

Al Gore was no victim too. He won the PV and lost the winnable race because of his own mistakes. At least he had decency to move on.

After two years of speculation about him running again, yes.  Tongue

Clinton is most likely "moving on" in the Al Gore sense as well.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »

How is this different from any of the others though?  Don’t all of them want to become president to immortalize themselves and “leave a lasting legacy”?  That’s why everyone runs for president.  That doesn’t mean that they’re going to keep running for president forever.  E.g., I have no reason to believe that, say, Al Gore or John Kerry wanted to be president any less than Hillary Clinton does, yet once they lost in the general election, they opted not to run again.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2017, 10:23:56 PM »

She could very well see herself as Ronald Reagan in that the third time's the charm.

But Reagan's first two times involved him not winning the nomination.  If you fail to win the nomination, then you can keep trying again.  But if you win the nomination and blow it in the general election, that's seen as a bigger failure.  Because the party gave you your chance and you blew it.

What makes you think that though?  Gore, Kerry, Romney, etc.  All of them seemed pretty desperate to be president to me.  I'm not sure what sets Hillary Clinton apart, that makes you think she wants the presidency more than they do.

She is already below 20% in the primary polls we've had so far:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=258636.0
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=261065.0

I don't think it's obvious that she'd get more than 25% in the primaries, nor is that necessarily enough to win.  Nor is it clear that she'd be favored in the general election, were she to win the nomination.  Al Gore looked to be in better shape for winning re-nomination as of 2002, yet he opted not to try again, so not sure why we should assume that Clinton will want to try again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies