Trump: Elizabeth Warren as my opponent “would be a dream come true” (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:25:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Trump: Elizabeth Warren as my opponent “would be a dream come true” (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump: Elizabeth Warren as my opponent “would be a dream come true”  (Read 4604 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 18, 2017, 08:41:07 PM »

The man just lacks self awareness doesn't he?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:27:45 AM »

I love Warren but I really don't want her to run. She's just not the right person to reach the oval office. She's my Senator and I'd vote for her in a heartbeat in the general election, but that coastal elite persona is a really tough one to shake. Most of that is because she's following up the actual coastal elite Hillary Clinton. If she lost the general my heart would be broken, because she'd be cast in the same lot as Hillary's dumpster fire of a campaign. Democrats need a progressive with some sort of down to earth charm. Bernie had it, but will probably be too old to run in 2020 (but he hasn't ruled it out). Maybe Sherrod Brown, but I don't know if he has quite enough personal charisma to pull it off. I think really think Steve Bullock could easily set himself up to be that person in 2020. He's a relatively unknown governor from a small landlocked state, he's very charismatic (watch his debate vs Gianforte), and he has some liberal street cred from when he fought against the Citizens United ruling as attorney general. He'll have the freedom to position himself however he wants on national issues since he's never had to deal with them as a governor. Senators make for bad presidential candidates in general. Only three have ever been elected straight from office. Anyways point is that Lizzie is better off being a progressive leader in the Senate than as Presidential nominee.
Ya someone else has joined by Bullock bandwagon
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 02:11:25 PM »

Even though I gave the above posts a hard time, intuition says they're representative of the attitudes of many voters who swung to Trump. Not sure what the prospects are for winning them back and what effect that reality will have on the primaries. On the one hand, Democrats seem to be having some of electability jitters losing Republicans had 4 years ago. Remember when Rubio and Christie looked like they'd be well armed with electability cases in the primaries but maybe not enough to overcome Scott Walker's appeal to the base?

I’m not sure electability matters as much in an election with an incumbent.  2020 will probably be a referendum on Trump, so probably just about anyone capable of winning the nomination would be able to win the general election if Trump is unpopular.  (And won't be able to win if he's popular.)

You’d think this logic would hold as well even in elections without an incumbent, but it often doesn’t work that way.  E.g., Bill Clinton’s popularity not rubbing off on Gore, and ditto for Obama and Hillary Clinton.

Yeah, that's true. Which means Trump looking vulnerable might well attract a field the size of GOP 2016.

Can you think of 17 Democrats trying to defeat Trump?
Warren, Booker, Cuomo, Murphy, Hickenlooper, Tulsi, Castro, Bullock, Wolf, Bel Edwards, Cooper, Gilbrand, Newsome, Franken, Heinrich, DeBlasio, and Schatz
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies