Senate Passes Bill Protecting Gun Manufacturers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:45:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate Passes Bill Protecting Gun Manufacturers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Senate Passes Bill Protecting Gun Manufacturers  (Read 2216 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2005, 09:50:34 PM »

Title: A bill to prohibit civil liability actions from being brought or continued against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or importers of firearms or ammunition for damages, injunctive or other relief resulting from the misuse of their products by others.

Having read over this bill, I wholeheartedly support it.  It's a great law.  It basically says that you can't sue the gun companies if you get shot due to the gun owner being stupid.  I just hate that I have such crappy Senators.  It passed 65-31.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00219
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 09:53:22 PM »

It sounds the type of lawsuit they're illegalizing is similar to the case that the movie 'Runaway Jury' revolved around.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 09:58:16 PM »

Excellent bill. Of course, these types of lawsuits should not be heard in federal courts in the first place.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 10:01:18 PM »

I agree with Emsworth.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 10:38:57 PM »

Their is more to it however, the stuff I have problems with.  It also limits lawsuits against cases of negligence against gun dealers.  For example some guy comes into the dealer with a friend/ girlfriend etc, points out some guns tha he wants, has his friend pay for it, only the friend is checked, even though the person who picks out the gun could have a criminal record.  Their are a few cases currently going around on this issue.  One of which is against a PA dealer who has had over 100 guns bought in his establishment traced back to crime (which is more than all the other dealers in PA combined).  Some of the provisons in this bill stop lawsuits being brought against dealers who are negelent & just don't do their jobs correctly, that is a problem.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 10:42:58 PM »

It also limits lawsuits against cases of negligence against gun dealers.  For example some guy comes into the dealer with a friend/ girlfriend etc, points out some guns tha he wants, has his friend pay for it, only the friend is checked, even though the person who picks out the gun could have a criminal record.
Once again, why should this be an issue for a federal court, instead of a state court?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 10:44:32 PM »

Dems who voted for it
Baucus MT
Byrd WV
Conrad ND
Dorgan ND
Johnson SD
Kohl WI
Landrieu LA
Lincolin AR
Nelson NE
Nelson FL
Pryor  AR
Reed NV
Salazar CO

Independent Jeffords VT voted for it

Reps voting against it
Chafee- RI
Dewine-OH

Not voting  
Feinstein D-CA
Roberts R-KS
Smith R-OR
Sununu R-NH

All other Dems voted against it, all other Republicans voted for it
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 10:46:26 PM »

It also limits lawsuits against cases of negligence against gun dealers.  For example some guy comes into the dealer with a friend/ girlfriend etc, points out some guns tha he wants, has his friend pay for it, only the friend is checked, even though the person who picks out the gun could have a criminal record.
Once again, why should this be an issue for a federal court, instead of a state court?

Because of guns bought due to negligence on the part of a dealer in one state & used in a crime, murder in another state.  One of the cases regarding a cop being killed due to this (don't remember the state) fits this description.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 10:53:29 PM »

Because of guns bought due to negligence on the part of a dealer in one state & used in a crime, murder in another state. 
That is not interstate commerce, and therefore is not within the purview of Congress.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 11:42:48 PM »

So much for Chafee being a libertarian.  He's authoritarian on guns.  Of course, that goes without saying seeing as he's a social liberal RINO and all.  The guy seriously needs to go.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 12:18:50 AM »

Even if you forced a check on both, it would be pretty pointless and easily worked around - the guy who wants the gun just tells the other person the exact gun they want and that person goes inside on their own to buy the gun, gets it, and the dealer is completely unaware of who really gets the gun. The buyer is responsible in this case, not the dealer - they hand the gun to the person with the criminal record of their own free will, and by doing so it should be fair that they should get a record for doing that.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 12:25:47 AM »

Excellent bill. Of course, these types of lawsuits should not be heard in federal courts in the first place.

^^^^^^^^

What this guy said.  Smiley
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 12:54:08 AM »

^^^^^^^^

What this guy said.  Smiley

What these two guys said. Smiley

It was about time the Senate passed this!! Cheesy

I wonder what the NRA will focus on next.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 01:02:08 AM »

Even if you forced a check on both, it would be pretty pointless and easily worked around - the guy who wants the gun just tells the other person the exact gun they want and that person goes inside on their own to buy the gun, gets it, and the dealer is completely unaware of who really gets the gun. The buyer is responsible in this case, not the dealer - they hand the gun to the person with the criminal record of their own free will, and by doing so it should be fair that they should get a record for doing that.

The problem is a bit deeper than that.  When you have some gun dealers who happen to have a much much higher rate of guns being used in crimes than other gun dealers in the same general vicinity their is some definant problem that needs to be adressed & something that the particular dealer is not doing correctly.  I generlally yhink their are some frivilous cases against gun dealers that shouldn't go through, however their are others that are very legitimate & are due to sheer negligence in some cases of the dealer, this is what I fear with a bill like this.  Instead of doing more to stop the frivilous casees, it also stops the actual legit cases as well.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 01:20:44 AM »

So much for Chafee being a libertarian.  He's authoritarian on guns.  Of course, that goes without saying seeing as he's a social liberal RINO and all.  The guy seriously needs to go.

How is it authoritarian to object to an interference with individual's rights to sue by an overbearing State?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2005, 01:47:56 AM »

How is it authoritarian to object to an interference with individual's rights to sue by an overbearing State?

In addition...Chafee may be in the delegate, and not trustee, mindset here.

Maybe RI is just against the bill?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2005, 02:09:33 AM »

Thats a good possibility.  He could be just simply voting what his consituents want especially considering his re-election bid next year
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2005, 02:16:03 AM »

Thats a good possibility.  He could be just simply voting what his consituents want especially considering his re-election bid next year

Would I be surprised that he was anti-gun? No.

But I think he's doing whatever RI wants him to do, and since its a blue (network colors) state...its really hard to tell.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2005, 02:53:54 AM »

Would I be surprised that he was anti-gun? No.

But I think he's doing whatever RI wants him to do, and since its a blue (network colors) state...its really hard to tell.

He probably is anti-gun as well.  Chafee is quite socally liberal on social issues (Pro-Choice, seems to be Pro-Gun Control, Pro Gay-Rights, Anti Death Penalty)
MissCatholic

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2005, 03:53:09 AM »

Look for those that dont like people with guns - TOUGH

i'm keeping mine and no judge, no person is going to tell me otherwise. So whatever the NRA get i support.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2005, 03:54:14 AM »

Any riders?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2005, 03:58:26 AM »

I'm referring to his overall philosophy.  If you support frivilous lawsuits that put the responsibility of gun crimes on gun manufacturers instead of the criminals, then chances are, you're anti-gun.  Which is an authoritarian position to hold.  You know, there's a reason why one of the defining characteristics of the Libertarian Party is gun rights.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 04:04:00 AM »

Rhode Island is not a very pro-gun state, and he does not want to get his butt kicked come 2006.

I'm a bit surprised at DeWine.  Brave for a Republican in Ohio.  Desiring to piss off his constituency even further?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2005, 07:23:42 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2005, 07:27:14 AM by Emsworth »

I have just read the bill. I have found that it restricts in both state and federal courts. Therefore, I'm afraid that I do not support it any longer.

The justification? The purpose of the Act is "To guarantee a citizen's rights, privileges, and immunities, as applied to the States, under the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, pursuant to section 5 of that Amendment." Do I see the Republicans in the Senate arguing for the doctrine of incorporation when it comes to the Second Amendment? I wonder why they feel that incorporation is valid for gun rights, but not for other rights. Hmm...
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2005, 08:27:15 AM »

I wonder why they feel that incorporation is valid for gun rights, but not for other rights. Hmm...

because they're weasels.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies