HOUSE BILL: The Dfwlibertylover Minimum Wage Act of 2017 (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:09:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: The Dfwlibertylover Minimum Wage Act of 2017 (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: The Dfwlibertylover Minimum Wage Act of 2017 (Tabled)  (Read 1388 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:01:44 AM »
« edited: March 27, 2017, 11:50:52 PM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Atlasian People's House of Representatives
Pending

[/quote]

Sponsor: Ted for the President (Administration Agenda)  
House Designation: HB 1097
Co-sponsored by OneJ_
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:53:08 AM »

I thank the Speaker for his speedy introduction of this bill to the floor on behalf of the Administration along with Representatives TedBessell and OneJ for cosponsoring this bill on behalf of the Administration. This bill is an opportunity to set a real precedent for breaking down minimum wage by area (or in some cases cities or population density), I admit there are some flaws in this bill and I am open to adjusting this to inflation and to changing it to be based on cost of living by area. I also believe that the regions should be able to change this to a varying extent as well.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 12:45:28 PM »

4.The minimum wage stated above shall be the minimum wage for all employees that are paid minimum wage.
Pending

Sponsor: Ted for the President (Administration Agenda) 
House Designation: HB 1097
Co-sponsored by OneJ_
[/quote]
I offer the following amendment to ensure the abolishment of the tipped and youth minimum wage, as well as to ensure regions do not circumvent the minimum wage stated in this bill.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 10:24:31 PM »

Going to repost this here:

Okay, so currently, as I see it, both Fremont and Lincoln have passed $15 Minimum Wages, Fremont's occuring over an elongated time, and Lincoln's being EXTREMELY similar to yours, seen here, leave the South to be the only one without a raised wage. Now, the South's Minimum Wage is a separate issue, but this bill will only affect my region (save for some reactionaries taking over the other two regions). My worry here is that we will have a large wage gap, not for gender, but for address. For this reason, I second the worries of Blair above, as where you live and work shouldn't be a determinant for poverty.

As someone who lives right next to one of the largest COL locations in the world, AND one of the locations with the largest homelessness population due to the former, this issue is one that affects many round here. As stated before, population is not the problem, cost of living is. There are many places that have under 100,000 people, but their cost of living expenses are similar to that of much more expensive urban areas that have a $14.00 wage, rather than their $12.00 one.

My plan for the South, which I will mention again is the only region to actually be affected by this legislation, will have an indexed wage starting at $11.50 which will rise based on Cost of Living points, with a $15 max at a certain point. Like for example, 5 cents raise for every COL point rise.

The problem with population is it is so subjective, cost wise. I will post this in the debate thread, but I think these wage problems need to be addressed, and specify that it is for job, not place of residence.

Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 10:35:50 PM »

Okay, so currently, as I see it, both Fremont and Lincoln have passed $15 Minimum Wages, Fremont's occuring over an elongated time, and Lincoln's being EXTREMELY similar to yours, seen here, leave the South to be the only one without a raised wage. Now, the South's Minimum Wage is a separate issue, but this bill will only affect my region (save for some reactionaries taking over the other two regions). My worry here is that we will have a large wage gap, not for gender, but for address. For this reason, I second the worries of Blair above, as where you live and work shouldn't be a determinant for poverty.

As someone who lives right next to one of the largest COL locations in the world, AND one of the locations with the largest homelessness population due to the former, this issue is one that affects many round here. As stated before, population is not the problem, cost of living is. There are many places that have under 100,000 people, but their cost of living expenses are similar to that of much more expensive urban areas that have a $14.00 wage, rather than their $12.00 one.

My plan for the South, which I will mention again is the only region to actually be affected by this legislation, will have an indexed wage starting at $11.50 which will rise based on Cost of Living points, with a $15 max at a certain point. Like for example, 5 cents raise for every COL point rise.

The problem with population is it is so subjective, cost wise. I will post this in the debate thread, but I think these wage problems need to be addressed, and specify that it is for job, not place of residence.

I am open to a COL amendment but I'd prefer not to go as high as 15, if we are going to go as high as 15 in some areas then I will put the lowest areas at 8$.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 05:07:14 AM »

I support a col change, and I will not support the removal of the flexibility given to the region.

The only reason I will support this is the preservation of the ability of regions to push for wages that work best for them. As I said my preference is to leave the Minimum wage around $10 and use expanded EITC to form the basis of supplementing that to ensure that in total, working people are bring in a living disposable income.

Relying on one arrow to achieve your desired result is certainly going to miss the mark. The Minimum wage at such high levels risks both accelerated automation and outsourcing of jobs. A mixed approach will lessen the consequences and burdens on the economy of doing either all one or all of the other.

However, as a regionalist. I will not force the regions to make the right policy choices and would rather see the issue fought over in regional elections. I do not see this as a matter of "reactionaries winning" as someone said it. I see it as a matter of regions determining the wage policy that works best for them.

Therefore while I am willing to support this bill, but that is conditional on the preservation of the clause allowing the regions to set their wages beneath the staggered levels, at the "minimum" of $10 an hour
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 05:23:45 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2017, 03:02:41 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: Restricted
Pending

[/quote]

Sponsor Feedback: None Given
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 11:46:53 PM »

I am open to a COL amendment but I'd prefer not to go as high as 15, if we are going to go as high as 15 in some areas then I will put the lowest areas at 8$.

I don't understand this logic? If we allow a living wage for those in urban areas, but destroy the ability to allow all to make their own livelihoods in lower COL areas, by LOWERING the minimum wage.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 02:52:50 AM »

Let us not forget that the minimum wage is not a magic money tree. As I have always said there is a decreasing marginal utility to higher minimum wages.

Most of these studies show improvements that are significant when you increase from 7 to $10. I have long supported a $9 or $10 minimum wage.

That is because most companies can shift money towards the increased labor costs and some even benefit from the increased demand. Some are on too thin a profit margin and are ruined, particularly small business. Minimum Wage can have a similar effect as regulatory capture in that sense. That is also why small businesses should receive generous tax benefits to ease the impact. 

Once you get above $10 and certainly in the mid teens, is where you get substantial losses of jobs, automation, outsourcing and numerous small businesses keeling over. Granted this is relative to the location, the cost of living in those areas and the numbers scale up with time thanks to inflation.

I think we need to discuss minimum wage in terms of a "safe range". When you reach the top end of that safe range it is time to use alternative methods to boost disposable incomes.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 03:42:42 AM »

Going by the metrics of this bill, there's 197 million people in "urban" counties (this is not counting cities classified as "urban" outside of "urban" counties), and 50 million in "suburban"-classified counties (again not counting said cities in "rural" counties). That means that there's about 75 million people at most in "rural" areas.

Therefore, if we switched it from 14-12-10 to 12-10-8, we'd still have 120 million more people getting a minimum wage increase than a decrease. It's only fair--for the sake of returning this bill to it's purpose of making the minimum wage relative to different areas, NOT a blanket raise--to amend this bill as such.

Of course I am not a Senator so someone else will have to do that for me.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 02:47:26 AM »

Okay, I have to intervene. The cost-of-living-factor has already been mentioned, but the salient point is that the borders drawn in the bill seem random and at discretion, which would have a massive impact. Remember that under this bill, even small changes of population or small differences in population can have an effect on the minimum wage. That leads to the intolerable result that a hard working person who works as hard as his collegue in the next huge city gets a smaller minimum wage because his city or his county is 1.000 citizens too small.

If the regions want to adjust the minimum wage by creating certain areas, let them do it, we on the federal level should just make sure that there is a basic level the regions can not drop below.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 02:56:32 AM »

NeverAgain, Truman, and I are working on an alternative that will nationally adjust based on cost of living and other indexing factors along with EITC added in.

Thus for now, I am tabling/withdrawing this bill (Ted and/or OneJ please do this on my behalf)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 02:58:34 AM »

On the behalf of President Dfwlibertylover, I motion to table the bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 02:25:21 AM »

NeverAgain, Truman, and I are working on an alternative that will nationally adjust based on cost of living and other indexing factors along with EITC added in.

Thus for now, I am tabling/withdrawing this bill (Ted and/or OneJ please do this on my behalf)

I look forward to this approach.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 02:30:09 AM »

A Vote is now open on the Motion to Table, Representatives please vote, Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 08:49:20 AM »

Aye
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 10:17:33 AM »

Aye
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 10:37:43 AM »

Aye
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »

Aye
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 11:37:40 PM »

AYE
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 11:38:57 PM »

Reluctant Aye

Why, because this could have been amended into the new proposal being worked on. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 11:50:04 PM »

Vote on Motion to Table The Dfwlibertylover Minimum Wage Act of 2017:

Aye (6): Enduro, NC Yankee, OneJ_, Peebs, Simossad and Ted
Nay (0):
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (3): Drew, Heisenberg, and Potus

The bill has been tabled.