Trumpcare eliminates mental health coverage from Medicaid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:38:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trumpcare eliminates mental health coverage from Medicaid
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trumpcare eliminates mental health coverage from Medicaid  (Read 2098 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:49:06 AM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58cb9812e4b0be71dcf36721?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 10:06:39 AM »

I have Asperger's. Medicaid covered me so that I could get a diagnosis that gave me cause to shuck off much guilt over underachievement and deal with anxiety in a time in which I had a combination of grief and despair. Without such a diagnosis and subsequent help I might have killed myself.

That is a rather mild condition, but it did mess up my life badly. Of course it might be thoroughly rational to put people into a position of deciding on economic grounds whether to kill oneself and leave the world to people who have something to live for or to struggle with reality and make some contribution to it.

If one is pro-life with respect to abortion one must be pro-life with respect to giving people the aid that can make them capable of choosing to live and make clear contributions to the community in which they live.

I said some very ominous things about life and its meaning... and I am just lucky that some wise people treated that as seriously as if I showed signs of having a stroke or heart attack.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:31:37 AM »

As someone who has battled with anxiety in the past, this is absolutely disgusting.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »

Republicans last year: "We need to fund mental health more so we have less mass shootings"

Republicans now: "We need to cut mental health funding, because money".
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 10:54:10 AM »

Republicans last year: "We need to fund mental health more so we have less mass shootings"

Republicans earlier this month: "The mentally ill need better access to firearms".
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »

Considering I have two sisters and myself who have relied on some kind of mental health coverage from either Medicaid or similar programs, this is horrific. Trump/Ryan's plan is monstrous.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »

Wasn't he complaining about the lack of funding in one of the debates?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 03:15:34 PM »

As someone who has battled with anxiety in the past, this is absolutely disgusting.

Anxiety goes with Asperger's.

I have lived with the need to act just to seem normal enough to be presentable, but almost  nobody can act well enough to hide that one is acting.  I am probably about as good an actor as one can be without formal training, which of course is awful. I have come off as a liar so many times when I was anything but a liar.

Does anyone think that I have a story here?

Maybe I should have had some dramatic training. I can follow instructions and I can do a good job remembering my lines. With my rigidity I would be a creepy character on stage or screeen, but there are plenty of roles for creepy characters. 

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 05:29:58 PM »

"Asperger's" isn't a real diagnosis any more and shouldn't have been one in the first place.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 07:18:31 PM »

"Asperger's" isn't a real diagnosis any more and shouldn't have been one in the first place.
I most cordially disagree.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »

It was an artificial division within the autism spectrum that in practice functioned as a stratification.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 08:54:30 PM »

It was an artificial division within the autism spectrum that in practice functioned as a stratification.

I received the diagnosis late last year. I do not have the sort of autism that retards language development. I may be considered "high functioning", but... I must act as if I am on a stage just to seem normal, and that makes me seem dishonest. 

I have found that one drink is enough to dissolve the anxiety. How many people go to a therapist and get told, "Have a drink!" Alcohol is more predictable than many of the psychoactive pills which I distrust. One is enough.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 09:43:33 PM »

Good thing for Trump that he's not on Medicaid.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 09:44:38 PM »

I received the diagnosis late last year. I do not have the sort of autism that retards language development. I may be considered "high functioning", but... I must act as if I am on a stage just to seem normal, and that makes me seem dishonest. 

I have found that one drink is enough to dissolve the anxiety. How many people go to a therapist and get told, "Have a drink!" Alcohol is more predictable than many of the psychoactive pills which I distrust. One is enough.

Does medical marijuana help with your diagnosis?
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 09:59:20 PM »

Wow, what the hell dude?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 10:00:51 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2017, 10:13:26 PM by modern maverick »

Wow, what the hell dude?

Care to make an actual argument to the contrary?

I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was very young. I'm glad that the diagnosis is autism spectrum disorder now, and I'm much more willing to be open about it than I was before.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 10:10:45 PM »

Wow, what the hell dude?

I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was very long. I'm glad that the diagnosis is autism spectrum disorder now, and I'm much more willing to be open about it than I was before.
I think I misread the initial post, it was to me suggesting that the disorder was completly made up. 
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »

Disgusting. I realize conservatives like to save government money, but why are they opposed to spending that in the long run saves money, i.e. mental health services can help people remain self-sufficient. I think they are looking for a excuse to justify insensitivity.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 02:06:53 AM »

Does medical marijuana help with your diagnosis?

I don't use it. 
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 02:54:00 AM »

See, I get that, but I also think that whatever I have or had (Aspergers, "high-functioning autism", etc), is clearly different from someone who is completely nonverbal or who cannot handle certain textures, sounds, smells, or substances at all, rather than just being incredibly uncomfortable with them.

I don't know what to classify it as, and I don't want to stratify my diagnosis, but I'm unclear with how to classify it, either academically or in everyday speech. "Autism spectrum disorder" means absolutely nothing to me.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 12:36:34 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 02:04:27 PM by pbrower2a »

See, I get that, but I also think that whatever I have or had (Aspergers, "high-functioning autism", etc), is clearly different from someone who is completely nonverbal or who cannot handle certain textures, sounds, smells, or substances at all, rather than just being incredibly uncomfortable with them.

I don't know what to classify it as, and I don't want to stratify my diagnosis, but I'm unclear with how to classify it, either academically or in everyday speech. "Autism spectrum disorder" means absolutely nothing to me.

Asperger's creates poor eye contact, rigid thought, and anxiety. In a hyper-competitive environment those traits do not help one. To avoid seeming a freak I must act just to seem normal -- and that shows me as a fake. It may be a benign fake even if I am not a fraud or a liar. It has given me difficulty in relating to people. It has physical manifestations of poor balance and hyper-sensitivity to sound. I could never attend a rock concert.

I can get disability payments for it.  I can imagine life without it: I would be doing very well, thank you. Even if I knew that I had it and could make appropriate adjustments I might simply do well if I could understand my limitations instead of seeing them as character flaws.

In a world with many sociopaths and psychopaths, anyone who seems a fake is assumed to be a cheater.    
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 01:43:27 PM »

Wow, what the hell dude?

I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was very young. I'm glad that the diagnosis is autism spectrum disorder now, and I'm much more willing to be open about it than I was before.

I was diagnosed in 1995. I'm not going to start changing the definition I'm personally comfortable with.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 03:13:05 PM by modern maverick »

"High-functioning" and "low-functioning" aren't ideal but imo they're a lot better than treating different "levels" of functioning as different diagnoses. People can define themselves however they want and I'm sorry I intimated otherwise, but I think I'm allowed to find it disconcerting that this stratification entered common currency, especially considering the extent to which "lower-functioning" autistic people are dehumanized even by ostensible advocates for them.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 04:23:56 PM »

Yeah, it always bugged me when mental health was brought up after shootings, since it was clearly just an attempt to distract people from the issue of gun control/background checks, and not a call to actually address mental health. Anyway, this is awful, and another example of how much contempt certain congresspeople have for the most vulnerable members of society.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 05:31:22 PM »

Yeah, it always bugged me when mental health was brought up after shootings, since it was clearly just an attempt to distract people from the issue of gun control/background checks, and not a call to actually address mental health. Anyway, this is awful, and another example of how much contempt certain congresspeople have for the most vulnerable members of society.

plus ofc there's the fact that mentally ill people are less likely to commit violent crime than neurotypical people and more likely to fall victim to violent crime
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies