Is this where we are as a country?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:59:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is this where we are as a country?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this where we are as a country?  (Read 424 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:11:32 AM »
« edited: March 20, 2017, 11:13:33 AM by modern maverick »

Are "the president, the President of the United States, refused to shake another world leader's hand and made mean faces at her"* and "how does Tomi Lahren feel about abortion?" really where we--as a country, as a people--and our political discourse are now?

Seriously?

*and no, Sanchez, the relationship between Obama and Netanyahu is not equivalent to this. Political backstabbing is not public, personal, immature disrespect.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:19:49 AM »

Pretty much. Reality television and social media has destroyed America and its ability to have productive discourse
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »

News stories are basically just "WE are winning and THEY are losing. Observe this anecdote as proof."
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 01:38:14 PM »

It's where we're at as a internet forum.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 02:46:01 PM »

It's where we're at as a internet forum.
the forum started to really go downhill after 2005. partially because a lot of the gen x and baby boomer users left. although it's probably a bit better than it was in obama's first term when it seemed like the median age of the forum was around 14.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »

Pretty much. Reality television and social media has destroyed America and its ability to have productive discourse

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 02:52:35 PM »

Anyone who is breathing should be upset about this. It's not like these people are our enemies. Two world leaders. One is an adult, the other is a 70 year old baby.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 02:54:28 PM »

News stories are basically just "WE are winning and THEY are losing. Observe this anecdote as proof."

There is very little interest these days in having a discussion with anyone who thinks differently from you. People seek out echo chambers both IRL and on the internet, where specious conclusions drawn from anecdotal evidence can take the place of fact-based arguments, because nobody is going to call you out on being intellectually lazy.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 03:00:43 PM »

Anyone who is breathing should be upset about this. It's not like these people are our enemies. Two world leaders. One is an adult, the other is a 70 year old baby.
to be honest i was also bothered by this. this has not been a good month.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »

looking for debate isn't the problem.

convincing or making a point would be the difference and that can only be made in an academical or crypto-academical environment. Wink

i usually try to understand the other person and ...if the other person does too...this obviously ends with "we agree to disagree".

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »

One hopes Trump is an aberration. However, the causes of his election (namely a massive loss of trust in Washington DC) remain and they need to be dealt with if the US is to survive in itself current form.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 03:50:25 PM »

Unfortunately, this is not even close to how bad it can get if Trump keeps snowballing in failure like this.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 04:00:53 PM »

looking for debate isn't the problem.

convincing or making a point would be the difference and that can only be made in an academical or crypto-academical environment. Wink

i usually try to understand the other person and ...if the other person does too...this obviously ends with "we agree to disagree".

Looking at political argument as an effort to convince your opponent is usually a mistake. It can happen, but more often you can sway fencesitters. It's no mistake that in political debates the candidates address their responses to the crowd and not to their opponent.

At any rate, I also try to understand the other person. If nothing else, it helps me to better develop my own position to know what people think and why. I'm not nearly so arrogant as to claim that I have all the answers, or perfectly formed ideas. For that reason I need to actually sit down and listen to what different sides have to say.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies