AL Gov. Bentley to Resign in April?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:10:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL Gov. Bentley to Resign in April?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AL Gov. Bentley to Resign in April?  (Read 1466 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »

So says one Republican state representative. If this is true, will there be grounds to investigate Bentley's appointment of Luther Strange to the Senate?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:23:36 PM »

Investigate Luther Strange? Why? You know you guys won't get the seat right?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 01:33:15 PM »

Cuz the whole thing was corrupt as sh**t. Basically a Blagojevich style pay to play.
This. Even if we couldn't get the seat, Strange should be investigated.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:17:01 PM »

To save others the googling, the Lieutenant Governor is Kay Ivey (R, born 1944).
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 02:17:34 PM »

Cuz the whole thing was corrupt as sh**t. Basically a Blagojevich style pay to play.

Alabama has a number of fine conservative public servants who are not tied up in this mess. Better one of them represent the good people of the Yellowhammer State than a potential quid pro quo situation
Rjjr77
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 02:21:39 PM »

Is it wrong that I didn't find it corrupt? Strange was the front runner for the seat investigation or not.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 03:57:36 PM »

The Alabama Republican Party has been corrupt for years now. Bob Riley and Robert Shelby are the only clean ones.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 04:03:48 PM »

Is it wrong that I didn't find it corrupt? Strange was the front runner for the seat investigation or not.
Strange was going to run regardless, and as far as an actual election goes, yes, he may have been the frontrunner. However, it's very strange (no pun intended) for Bentley to nominate a man who was investigating him. Note, the investigation ended very quickly when the political opportunity made itself present.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »

The Alabama Republican Party has been corrupt for years now. Bob Riley and Robert Shelby are the only clean ones.

The whole Siegelman-Riley debacle stinks, TBF, and Shelby's been around long enough that I'd be skeptical There's no skeleton in some closet

They are both definitely low on the list as far as ALGOP goes, though
Rjjr77
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 10:26:15 PM »

Strange was going to run regardless, and as far as an actual election goes, yes, he may have been the frontrunner. However, it's very strange (no pun intended) for Bentley to nominate a man who was investigating him. Note, the investigation ended very quickly when the political opportunity made itself present.
True there's something to that but is nominating the clear front runner to the opening really corrupt? I mean people are comparing it to Blagojevich and I don't think it's anywhere near that level.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »

True there's something to that but is nominating the clear front runner to the opening really corrupt? I mean people are comparing it to Blagojevich and I don't think it's anywhere near that level.

I guess you could argue that the mere action you just described isn't proof of corruption. What is suspicious:

1. How the investigation seemed to stall out on Strange's side
2. A governor nominating the guy who is supposed to be investigating him

This looks very corrupt, but in itself is not proof of corruption. That is why there should be an investigation into it - free from political meddling.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 10:29:30 AM »

I don't think Big Luther Strange would've gotten the appointment if he hadn't stopped the investigation *shrugs shoulders*
Rjjr77
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 11:56:45 AM »

I guess you could argue that the mere action you just described isn't proof of corruption. What is suspicious:

This looks very corrupt, but in itself is not proof of corruption. That is why there should be an investigation into it - free from political meddling.

I'm not saying there isn't something there, I just don't think nominating the clear and away front runner from your party for the seat he has openly said he is running for is a corrupt act. If corruption happened behind the scenes we need to know sure, but this in and of itself is not corrupt.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 05:07:13 PM »

Should note Jim Ziegler, the otherwise somewhat kooky State Auditor pushing the idea that Bentley had a quid pro quo and who has been a prominent critic of the Governor over the affair itself, is famous for beating the University of Alabama's infamous "Machine" in a student election in the 70s and is no wilting flower when it comes to tangling with the local power structure
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 05:18:32 PM »

I'm not saying there isn't something there, I just don't think nominating the clear and away front runner from your party for the seat he has openly said he is running for is a corrupt act. If corruption happened behind the scenes we need to know sure, but this in and of itself is not corrupt.

Strange was not the frontrunner until he stalled the investigation, Aderholt was Tongue
Rjjr77
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 01:23:24 AM »

Strange was not the frontrunner until he stalled the investigation, Aderholt was Tongue

I can't tell if that is tongue in cheek, yeah there were other people but Strange was definitely the front runner, especially after declaring so darn early.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies