New generation of the GOP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:05:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New generation of the GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New generation of the GOP?  (Read 2471 times)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2017, 03:24:30 PM »

Are Milo Yiannopoulos, Lauren Southern, Katherine Timpf, Kiara Robles the new generation of the GOP? One is gay, one is Canadian, one is Millennial and the other is lesbian. They all have one thing in common, all support Trump, pro-life. I believe the party is starting to become more inclusive and having a larger tent of different views.

What do you guys/gals think?  This is Kiara Robles the women who got pepper sprayed at the Berkeley protest, if you don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thQ-npCxGMQ
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 03:33:09 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2017, 03:36:52 PM by Çråbçæk »

This is basically (ironically enough) identity politics at its most shallow. Basically a misunderstanding of why minorities or young women vote for the GOP, from the "voters are thick" school of politicking.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 03:49:50 PM »

Are Milo Yiannopoulos, Lauren Southern, Katherine Timpf, Kiara Robles the new generation of the GOP? One is gay, one is Canadian, one is Millennial and the other is lesbian. They all have one thing in common, all support Trump, pro-life. I believe the party is starting to become more inclusive and having a larger tent of different views.

What do you guys/gals think?  This is Kiara Robles the women who got pepper sprayed at the Berkeley protest, if you don't know.

If Milo if the future of the GOP then they will be in worse shape in the future then dems are now
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:51:53 PM »

Becoming more alt-right/fascist is not "inclusive". I don't care how many tokens they have.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:52:39 PM »

I could easily see the Christian conservatives break off and form a new 3rd party in 5-10 years. The new GOP is nothing like the old guard GOP of the 1980s-2000s.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 03:55:26 PM »

I could easily see the Christian conservatives break off and form a new 3rd party. The new GOP is nothing like the old guard GOP of the 1980s-2000s.
Those "Christians" don't give a damn about their religion. They hate universal healthcare and support the death penalty. How Christian. They overwhelmingly supported Trump because he and those stooges you listed represent what they really want which is a whiter country.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 03:58:33 PM »

I could easily see the Christian conservatives break off and form a new 3rd party in 5-10 years. The new GOP is nothing like the old guard GOP of the 1980s-2000s.

Which will not only be a disaster to the GOP but be a disaster to the country as well
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 04:04:52 PM »

Which would almost surely split the vote for Republicans in general and lead to more Democratic victories, at which point those voters would eventually find themselves back in the GOP, with some possibly sticking around as 3rd party voters. America is not set up for 2+ parties - particularly in presidential elections. As well, at this point I'd say partisan loyalties are too deeply embedded to result in what you're saying.

But the GOP becoming more inclusive? Really? Have you seen what has been going on the past 18 months? If anything, they've gotten worse. As it looks now, they have most definitely not changed for the better in terms of tolerance/inclusiveness. Trump, a poster child for divisiveness, bigotry and bullying is now the leader of the Republican Party, and so long as he is that, the GOP will not be a beacon of tolerance going forward.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 04:23:55 PM »

I could easily see the Christian conservatives break off and form a new 3rd party. The new GOP is nothing like the old guard GOP of the 1980s-2000s.
Those "Christians" don't give a damn about their religion. They hate universal healthcare and support the death penalty. How Christian. They overwhelmingly supported Trump because he and those stooges you listed represent what they really want which is a whiter country.
Capital punishment and personal responsibility (as, of course, is compassion) are both in the Bible, but okay.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 04:26:49 PM »

the GOP would be stupid to abandon abortion, and that's, like, the biggest issue for most evangelicals. They would vote for a drag queen Trotskyist if he was more opposed to abortion than the opponent.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 04:30:16 PM »

Capital punishment and personal responsibility (as, of course, is compassion) are both in the Bible, but okay.

Personal responsibility for one's general station in life and for the consequences of one's sins=/=personal responsibility to be or become rich enough that you can come up with the money for medical procedures that cost thousands of dollars a pop or else you'll die in a heap.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 04:31:37 PM »

But the GOP becoming more inclusive? Really? Have you seen what has been going on the past 18 months? If anything, they've gotten worse. As it looks now, they have most definitely not changed for the better in terms of tolerance/inclusiveness. Trump, a poster child for divisiveness, bigotry and bullying is now the leader of the Republican Party, and so long as he is that, the GOP will not be a beacon of tolerance going forward.

The Trump-GOP isn't getting more "inclusive", but I think it is getting more secular.  Peter Beinart has a good column on that here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/04/breaking-faith/517785/
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 04:35:44 PM »

The Trump-GOP isn't getting more "inclusive", but I think it is getting more secular.  Peter Beinart has a good column on that here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/04/breaking-faith/517785/

Oh yes, I read this when it was published. Part of the reason it didn't come to mind previously, though, was because of this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's just switching up the focus of the intolerance. Becoming more secular might possibly help them some with LGBT voters but again might end up hurting more so among minorities, the most important group they need to make inroads with, and the reason the Millennial generation is so heavily Democratic.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »

Personal responsibility for one's general station in life and for the consequences of one's sins=/=personal responsibility to be or become rich enough that you can come up with the money for medical procedures that cost thousands of dollars a pop or else you'll die in a heap.
True, but I'm not that kind of Republican.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 05:30:33 PM »

True, but I'm not that kind of Republican.

Didn't think you were, just wanted to make sure.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 03:12:54 AM »

Another new social media page of generation Z and older Millennial GOP. They're out of Orange County called The Red Elephants. They covered the MAGA rallies in Hollywood and down in Huntington Beach.

http://theredelephants.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNiNWbmPWehjpQohglWsKxw

One of their contributors to The Red Elephants. A supposedly feminist.
https://twitter.com/realmagagirl/media?lang=en

I'm just glad that not a majority of the Millennial or generation Z are a monolithic voting block for the left.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 08:20:38 AM »

Today's GOP is only inclusive to the point it brings them votes. But they'll continue to work against the "gay agenda" and "the blacks" any chance they get.

You can't be inclusive and have at the head of your party the face of Donald Trump.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 08:28:08 AM »

The strategy for the GOP is to get to 270, 218, and 50/51. You do that by getting from 7% to 11% with blacks, 33% to 36% with kids, and 58% to 61% with whitey. Karl Rove is still the strategic mastermind of the GOP.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 07:46:24 PM »

The last election confirmed everything that liberals have been saying about Christian fundamentalists for decades.  They do not care about Jesus or following his commandments or getting "right with God" or whatever.  What they want is power.  Donald Trump is the most antithetical thing to Jesus Christ to run for the presidency in the modern era.  They voted in lockstep for him.  All the leaders of the evangelical community (Tony Perkins, Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell, Jr., etc.) came out and rallied around him as 'their guy,' going as far to call him a "baby Christian" because he said the right things about gays and abortion.

It's a shame that the same grace wasn't extended to Barack Obama every time his faith was called into question from the time he ran for president.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 07:58:20 PM »

The last election confirmed everything that liberals have been saying about Christian fundamentalists for decades.  They do not care about Jesus or following his commandments or getting "right with God" or whatever.  What they want is power.  Donald Trump is the most antithetical thing to Jesus Christ to run for the presidency in the modern era.  They voted in lockstep for him.  All the leaders of the evangelical community (Tony Perkins, Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell, Jr., etc.) came out and rallied around him as 'their guy,' going as far to call him a "baby Christian" because he said the right things about gays and abortion.

It's a shame that the same grace wasn't extended to Barack Obama every time his faith was called into question from the time he ran for president.

Didn't Falwell Jr get behind Trump even before the primaries/caucuses started? I mean that was a point where options still at least appeared to exist.

It's fine if they want to back Trump, but I don't see how one can claim to hold all these religious values and then go enthusiastically back Trump, a man who seems like he was designed in a laboratory to be the most effective (in theory) candidate in repelling religious people. At this point, I think everyone who supported Trump should do some moral inventory and decide which they actually care about, and what means more to them - principles/morals or power?

That's some Grade A American Partisanship for you. If it is good for anything, it's laughs for when the brazen hypocrisy and shallow logic reaches comical levels.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 08:16:06 PM »

Apparently Russell Moore, one of the only conservative Evangelical leaders to consistently point out that Trump is despicable, might get fired from his position in the Southern Baptist Convention for having the temerity to try to lead Evangelicalism away from the "Republican Party at prayer" model of public advocacy. These people are addicted to feeling superficially listened-to by politicians. It's the smack that, like Lou Reed, makes them feel like the children of Christ they're supposed to feel like anyway. At this point it's difficult to avoid the conclusion that, when they finally realize that being the "Republican Party at prayer" will not avail them any longer, they'll equivocate themselves out of relevance and possibly out of existence like an ossified Northern European state church.
hopper
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 08:57:07 PM »

Today's GOP is only inclusive to the point it brings them votes. But they'll continue to work against the "gay agenda" and "the blacks" any chance they get.

You can't be inclusive and have at the head of your party the face of Donald Trump.
What is the "gay agenda"? I mean we already have gay marriage in all 50 states. I think most people are over if somebody is gay or not.

Black People have been voting for Dems for the past 50+ years. They may or may not be voting like that for the next 50 years since they live in mainly big cities where the Dem political machines are powerful as heck. I think Baby Boomer and Gen X Black People will always be 90-95% Dem.

True its a big deal to have Trump as President( mainly since his infamous comment about Mexicans) but he is not gonna be President forever.
hopper
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 09:04:04 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2017, 09:12:48 PM by hopper »

Which would almost surely split the vote for Republicans in general and lead to more Democratic victories, at which point those voters would eventually find themselves back in the GOP, with some possibly sticking around as 3rd party voters. America is not set up for 2+ parties - particularly in presidential elections. As well, at this point I'd say partisan loyalties are too deeply embedded to result in what you're saying.

Tolerance? Some liberals aren't tolerant at opposing political viewpoints.

As far as inclusiveness goes the Dems have always been more inclusive than the GOP going back to FDR probably maybe Ike might have been an exception though for a GOP Presidential Candidate.
hopper
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 09:12:06 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2017, 09:13:49 PM by hopper »

The last election confirmed everything that liberals have been saying about Christian fundamentalists for decades.  They do not care about Jesus or following his commandments or getting "right with God" or whatever.  What they want is power.  Donald Trump is the most antithetical thing to Jesus Christ to run for the presidency in the modern era.  They voted in lockstep for him.  All the leaders of the evangelical community (Tony Perkins, Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell, Jr., etc.) came out and rallied around him as 'their guy,' going as far to call him a "baby Christian" because he said the right things about gays and abortion.

Didn't Falwell Jr get behind Trump even before the primaries/caucuses started? I mean that was a point where options still at least appeared to exist.

It's fine if they want to back Trump, but I don't see how one can claim to hold all these religious values and then go enthusiastically back Trump, a man who seems like he was designed in a laboratory to be the most effective (in theory) candidate in repelling religious people. At this point, I think everyone who supported Trump should do some moral inventory and decide which they actually care about, and what means more to them - principles/morals or power?

That's some Grade A American Partisanship for you. If it is good for anything, it's laughs for when the brazen hypocrisy and shallow logic reaches comical levels.
Why does there have to be a choice between a persons religion or Trump? Either you voted for him or you didn't leaving the religion aspect aside.
hopper
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 09:27:52 PM »

I would like to see the new GOP be a cross on economic issues between Pre- Reagan(pre-1980) and post Reagan(1980+) and not be so heavy on the side of tax cuts.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies