New generation of the GOP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:05:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New generation of the GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: New generation of the GOP?  (Read 2477 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 09:32:29 PM »
« edited: March 26, 2017, 09:37:41 PM by Virginia »

Tolerance? Some liberals aren't tolerant at opposing political viewpoints.

You might read it as tolerant of certain lifestyles or characteristics such as race/gender/sexual orientation. It's a scale, and maybe to say that in certain prominent things liberals are more tolerant than conservatives, or maybe even just more broadly.

I'm sure enough has been said at one point or another of the issue with "being intolerant of one's intolerance of [gays/[race]/etc] makes you intolerant" that we don't need to go through that mind loop again.

Why does there have to be a choice between a persons religion or Trump? Either you voted for him or you didn't leaving the religion aspect aside.

How can someone say they value the moral teachings of Jesus and then go vote for someone who repudiates almost all of it, and in some cases lives a life completely against it? Especially during the primaries, when there were other choices? Because then either they made a mistake, or maybe they don't value those teachings as much as they think. I'm sorry, but someone can't go around talking about family values and then go vote for a man such as Trump, who has divorced numerous times, says himself that he loves kissing/grabbing women against their will, lies compulsively on a scale not often seen, treats his kids purely as a financial obligation, probably cheats on his wife as if he has no concept of fidelity.. I mean I could go on all day.

Look, there is some leeway between the values of a person and who they support, but a man like Trump, who is like the personification of everything wrong with America (and much of which conservatives blame as well), that a big, big stretch. I just don't get how you can separate the two. I've yet to hear an appropriate excuse. Usually it boils down to something like "oh, well now we have a pro-life judge and it was worth it" - well, ok then, but this still shows one values power more, no?

And you know, for the immense amount of forgiveness extended to Trump, I rarely recall seeing such amounts of understanding extended to Obama.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 09:45:26 PM »

I still think the GOP doesn't know what kind of party it is yet. Paul Ryan governs like the base is still in Oakland County but the GOP base is in Macomb now. 
hopper
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 10:00:28 PM »

Tolerance? Some liberals aren't tolerant at opposing political viewpoints.

You might read it as tolerant of certain lifestyles or characteristics such as race/gender/sexual orientation. It's a scale, and maybe to say that in certain prominent things liberals are more tolerant than conservatives, or maybe even just more broadly.

I'm sure enough has been said at one point or another of the issue with "being intolerant of one's intolerance of [gays/[race]/etc] makes you intolerant" that we don't need to go through that mind loop again.

Why does there have to be a choice between a persons religion or Trump? Either you voted for him or you didn't leaving the religion aspect aside.

How can someone say they value the moral teachings of Jesus and then go vote for someone who repudiates almost all of it, and in some cases lives a life completely against it? Especially during the primaries, when there were other choices? Because then either they made a mistake, or maybe they don't value those teachings as much as they think. I'm sorry, but someone can't go around talking about family values and then go vote for a man such as Trump, who has divorced numerous times, says himself that he loves kissing/grabbing women against their will, lies compulsively on a scale not often seen, treats his kids purely as a financial obligation, probably cheats on his wife as if he has no concept of fidelity.. I mean I could go on all day.

Look, there is some leeway between the values of a person and who they support, but a man like Trump, who is like the personification of everything wrong with America (and much of which conservatives blame as well), that a big, big stretch. I just don't get how you can separate the two. I've yet to hear an appropriate excuse. Usually it boils down to something like "oh, well now we have a pro-life judge and it was worth it" - well, ok then, but this still shows one values power more, no?

And you know, for the immense amount of forgiveness extended to Trump, I rarely recall seeing such amounts of understanding extended to Obama.

Trump has divorced 3 times-I don't think that should have anything to with religion.

Grabbing Women-Now I don't approve of that of course.

Cheats on his current wife-We don't know about his relationship with his wife. That's their business in my opinion.

Treats his kids as a financial obligation-His kids I think like him.

If you want to think that religious people are not efficiently religious because they voted for Trump that's your viewpoint I respect your opinion.

About Obama
-He had so much goodwill with MSM. I think he is a nice guy but I didn't like his Presidency. Would love to watch NCAA Final Four with him and Bush W. It would be fun to hang out with those two together I think.
hopper
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 10:07:03 PM »

I still think the GOP doesn't know what kind of party it is yet. Paul Ryan governs like the base is still in Oakland County but the GOP base is in Macomb now.  
This might be a dumb question but what is the difference between governing as an Oakland County, MI party vs a Macomb County, MI type party? I have read that Oakland is Socially Moderate as opposed to Macomb I think.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 11:37:43 PM »

Cheats on his current wife-We don't know about his relationship with his wife. That's their business in my opinion.

I think you're missing my point about the family values stuff.

Treats his kids as a financial obligation-His kids I think like him.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/24/trump-act-like-wife/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He just doesn't care. On top of all that, he looks and talks about his daughter like a piece of meat.

My point is that for deeply religious people, or people who say they value what Jesus taught and everything that is in the Bible, to reconcile that with such deep support for Trump is practically impossible. Somewhere in that little arrangement is a weakness/misrepresentation of where one stands, whether or not they want to admit it. Trump is objectively a bad person and morally bankrupt, and personally, preaching of family values and such from a Trump supporter is suspect at best. None of them were forced to support him, and there were many other options in the primaries, yet here we are, with religious "leaders" such as Falwell having gone to bat for such a disgusting man who goes against almost everything they say they believe in, and in Falwell's case, even before he became the nominee. Falwell is a joke. A complete and utter joke.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 04:05:27 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2017, 04:07:30 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

This might be a dumb question but what is the difference between governing as an Oakland County, MI party vs a Macomb County, MI type party? I have read that Oakland is Socially Moderate as opposed to Macomb I think.

It is similar to a comment that I have made several times. That the Reagan coalition was built at a time when Orange and DuPage county were part of the GOP base, but the GOP base is now a lower middle and working class (non-college white) demographic in the St. Louis or Louisville suburbs.

And yes Paul Ryan does not get it, which is not surprising, but truth be told there are tens of thousands of this demographic in his district that he is frankly out of step with.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2017, 06:33:01 PM »

They had another Berkeley protest today, with Lauren Southern there. Wish I could attend, but too far away of a drive.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealRedElephants/videos/399794997058971/
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2017, 07:18:21 PM »

They had another Berkeley protest today, with Lauren Southern there. Wish I could attend, but too far away of a drive.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealRedElephants/videos/399794997058971/

Right?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies