So Booker is less black than Obama? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:23:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  So Booker is less black than Obama? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So Booker is less black than Obama?  (Read 2135 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 20, 2017, 09:53:09 PM »

According to this:

http://ethnicelebs.com/cory-booker

Booker took a DNA test for the “Finding Your Roots” show, and the results showed:

47% African
45% European
7% Native American (higher than Elizabeth Warren  Tongue )

It says that both his parents were black, and mentions only one white great-grandparent.  But if he’s 45% European, then he must have more white ancestry than that, though where that comes from is not explained anywhere.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 10:32:30 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2017, 10:39:45 PM by Mr. Morden »

Obama's father was from a quite homogeneous area, whereas Booker's parents were not from there. Most African-Americans with roots in the country dating back into slavery do not have a solid African or black bloodline. Some of Booker's white ancestors wouldn't be recorded, because the slave masters didn't claim their children with slaves. For the most part, Obama is blacker than most African-Americans by genealogy.

Oh, I'm aware that there's plenty of non-African ancestry in most African-Americans, but "Obama is blacker than most African-Americans by genealogy"?  You mean *most* African-Americans are actually less than 50% African by ancestry?  That would surprise me.  I mean, even if there was a massive amount of cross-racial child creation, I'd assume that below a certain threshold of African ancestry (20%?  25%?) many (most?) would just identify as white.  And so they wouldn't even be counted as African-American in surveys.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 02:59:17 PM »

Why is this even a thread?

Identity is not a simplistic matter of some random DNA test...

Yes, and I'm waiting to learn the connection this has to the 2020 presidential election...

Any interesting factoid about the background of likely 2020 candidates is worthy of discussion here IMHO.  Hence, why I also had a thread recently about Gillibrand knowing Chinese.  These are things that the media will presumably spend time talking about in two years, so of course we’re going to talk about it here first, since we’re paying attention to these candidates more closely than the MSM is.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies