Have you ever been the victim of a crime?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:07:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever been the victim of a crime?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ...
Yes (violent and property crime)

Yes (violent crime)

Yes (property crime)

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Have you ever been the victim of a crime?  (Read 3455 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:29:41 PM »
« edited: March 20, 2017, 11:34:06 PM by Delegate J_American »

Violent Crime is defined as Assault, Murder, Rape, and Robbery. Property crime is defined as Burglary, Theft, and Motor Vehicle Theft.

Personally, I cannot recall having ever been the victim of any violent or property crime (and hope never to be). Where I live in Florida, it's pretty much exurban and had for many years been rural. Even today we leave our cars parked outside without the doors locked and many of our neighbors keep their garage doors open at night - even with valuable possessions clearly visible from the street. So I live in a pretty safe area, although there have been a few armed robberies of businesses within a few miles lately.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:31:33 PM »

yes, property crime.

my apartment was robbed a few years ago. my roommate and i werent home. we didnt sleep in our rooms for like a month and just slept on the couch after the robbery.

it was the first time i felt like my privacy was violated.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:36:03 PM »

yes, property crime.

my apartment was robbed a few years ago. my roommate and i werent home. we didnt sleep in our rooms for like a month and just slept on the couch after the robbery.

it was the first time i felt like my privacy was violated.

That's truly awful. I couldn't even imagine the feeling you guys felt after that incident; I think I'd be really paranoid, especially at night, for quite a while. But thankfully it wasn't while you were home or anything like that.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:37:18 PM »

I've had stuff stolen before - a backpack once, and I had a couple valuables apparently taken out of my baggage at the airport, including a pretty nice watch. That's about it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 11:39:05 PM »

A couple of years ago, my bed and TV were stolen, as were some of my roommates' things while all of us were out of town for the holidays. I found out that it was because one of my roommates (the last one to leave) forgot to lock the front door.
Rjjr77
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:40:28 PM »

Violent Crime is defined as Assault, Murder, Rape, and Robbery. Property crime is defined as Burglary, Theft, and Motor Vehicle Theft.

Personally, I cannot recall having ever been the victim of any violent or property crime (and hope never to be). Where I live in Florida, it's pretty much exurban and had for many years been rural. Even today we leave our cars parked outside without the doors locked and many of our neighbors keep their garage doors open at night - even with valuable possessions clearly visible from the street. So I live in a pretty safe area, although there have been a few armed robberies of businesses within a few miles lately.

Yes to both. I have had my vehicle broken into, as well as several minor thefts. and have been a victim of AWDW, as well as two separate armed robberies.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 11:43:35 PM »

Yes to both. I have had my vehicle broken into, as well as several minor thefts. and have been a victim of AWDW, as well as two separate armed robberies.

Good Lord, where did you live to have all that happen to you?
Rjjr77
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 11:47:44 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2017, 11:51:14 PM by Rjjr77 »

Good Lord, where did you live to have all that happen to you?

Different places, my car was broken into in Ohio, several "friends" stole valuables from my house when I lived in St Louis, I've been robbed twice at gun point in Chicago. I was slightly stabbed in Memphis
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 12:13:27 AM »

In New Orleans I had my bicycle stolen
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 12:20:57 AM »

Lawnmower theft. Bastards.
Rjjr77
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 12:27:36 AM »

Honestly this is one of the most under the radar annoying thefts of all time.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 12:28:24 AM »

My parents car was stolen, twice. If I gave it more thought, I could think of more crimes.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 12:51:21 AM »

Yes. Numerous times. One does not live in a dorm with a common area for laundry without something going wrong at some point.

The two that stand out to me best however are these:

1. Freshman year, first semester,Homecoming Night: My debit card got stolen while I was sleeping from my dorm room. I was an idiot and left the door unlocked. However, it was my roommate who got the blame. Only $25 got used on it thankfully.

The thing about this one is that either A) The perpetrator completely got away and my roommate was innocent or B) My roommate really did do it, and oh howdy he did NOT get away with it. The University kicked him out, the cops gave some really nasty black eyes, and they tried to label the thing as a felony [he was black, you see and this was The South]

2. January this year: I left my bike at my church since the Metro's holding area closed up and I lacked a lock. I got cocky and left it for a few days. So yeah, a homeless guy broke in and took it one of those nights, so I had to spend $150 a new one off Craigslist, and I broke down and got a lock.

The Bay Area is just not a place where you can so easily get a bike back. S.F. has all sorts of cartels for that kind of thing. And reporting it to the cops, well it's like the Italian Short called The Bicycle Thieves. Karma let the perpetrator off the hook because of my own stupidity.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 12:52:41 AM »

Twice I have had windows on my car shattered in and something stolen from inside the car. The first time, around 20 years ago, the things stolen were some pairs of pants that were on hangers in the back seat. The second time was a little less than a month ago, and the things that were stolen were even less valuable than pants -- the numbskull(s) stole my insurance papers, my vehicle registration paper, a folder full of chorus music, and a set of lug nuts.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 01:49:47 AM »

I was. Eaten up in a pub in Sheffield for being "foreign"
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 01:58:13 AM »

It seems like I've been very fortunate thus far in life, considering everyone else so far has experienced some form of crime. I certainly hope my luck never runs out, especially not with a violent crime.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 02:37:54 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 02:39:50 AM by NOVA Green »

Yes--- got assaulted and punched in the face when I was 17 by a group of six teenagers walking down the street in the small town where I grew up in Oregon.

Got my nose busted after an anti-KKK rally in Indianapolis when I was 20, where the nose Doctor promised he would make me the "most perfect nose ever"....

Also, a few years later on in life, I had someone throw a fire extinguisher through the back window of my car, when it was parked on a public street, and I had to pay $150 out of pocket, which took me 2-3 paychecks before I could cover the damage, since my car insurance deductibles didn't cover that level of "minor damage".
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 06:52:08 AM »

In college, when I was visiting Manhattan, and stayed on the west side near Columbia University with my girl friend at her sister's place, I was dumb enough to leave my guitar in my station wagon parked on the street. The apartment was just west of Broadway, and the hood on the east side of Broadway was pretty rough then. So of course my car was broken into, and the guitar stolen. And then when I was living in Silverlake in 1983 or so, my home was broken into, and my TV and a cash money box with several hundred dollars of coins in it were purloined in a burglary. Then I moved to south Orange County, and my nexus with crime came to an end.

So far, no problems whatsoever in Hudson. We had a shooting incident on the ally in back of Robinson Street where I live, but nobody was hurt (almost certainly a drug deal gone bad). There are two drug dealing houses on nearby State Street. One has now been cleaned out and the building red tagged (all its residents were heroin addicts). We have one more to go. Yes, in a small town, if you are nosey and keep abreast, you know just about everything that goes on. Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 07:20:06 AM »

I've had sh**t stolen from cars before (couple of radar detectors, couple of radios, odd and ends) and once I got assaulted in the bathroom in HS, but it was mostly shoving.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 07:45:35 AM »

Was forced to read hundreds of posts by Eharding, which is most likely classified as a war crime by Amnesty International.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 08:03:10 AM »

No, thank god.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 08:08:12 AM »

The folks were about 9 years ago (property), if that counts. Nothing to me per se yet.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 08:14:15 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 08:16:13 AM by Tintrlvr »

Ironically, the only time I've been a victim of a crime was by the police - French police in particular, who extorted a bribe from me on the Paris Metro a number of years ago because I had accidentally lost my Metro ticket.

There are probably minor instances I'm forgetting (petty thefts, e.g.), and this doesn't count childhood fights.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 08:34:08 AM »

I had my iPod Touch stolen in high school, but that's really it.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »

Theft.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: