Update - Medicare for all 115 Co-sponsors in the House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:31:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Update - Medicare for all 115 Co-sponsors in the House
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Update - Medicare for all 115 Co-sponsors in the House  (Read 4239 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 08:44:17 AM »

Instead of spending money to replace Democrats with Democrats, let's spend that money replacing Republicans with Democrats.

A Congress with 217 Sanders clones in the House and 49 Sanders clones in the Senate means absolutely nothing if the remaining 218 and 51 are Republicans.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 10:40:50 AM »

It's easy to get people to jump on board a meaningless bill. Look at how many times the House GOP voted to Repeal Obamacare.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 10:56:07 AM »

Instead of spending money to replace Democrats with Democrats, let's spend that money replacing Republicans with Democrats.

A Congress with 217 Sanders clones in the House and 49 Sanders clones in the Senate means absolutely nothing if the remaining 218 and 51 are Republicans.

The purpose of these groups is to replace poor Democrats with good one's & it was debated within these groups if they should try & support Independent/3rd parties/Green with some Democrats. In the end they chose to not defect en mass from the Democratic party but rather try to reform the Democratic party.

And what would would 60 Senate Democrats & 250 odd House Democrats do? They were there in 2009 & they couldn't even put a god damn public option on a right wing Heritage Foundation ACA. As long as the Dems aren't good enough, having a Dem majority is absolutely pointless. There are groups already to elect Democrats - DNC, DCCC, DSCC & many big donors but little to check the corruption of Democrats.

Kinda weird that some are happy to have poor Democrats & won't even try to replace them as long as there is a D to the name. Bernie saying there are some Democrats who would go down with the Titanic as long as they have 1st class seats, is absolutely true.

Anyways this is a thread about HR676 so let's stick to the topic !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 10:53:04 PM »

@RepJohnConyers  - @RepLindaSanchez joins the #MedicareForAll train to make it 99 cosponsors! Who's going to make it 100?

99/193 people support it as of now! A majority of House Democrats, more than 50% of the legislators support a Single payer healthcare !
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 11:32:55 PM »

Excellent.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 11:47:57 PM »

Should be more but meh, once politicians feel the pressure from their constituents they will flip or lose their job.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 11:58:04 PM »

Tell me when it has over 200 co-sponsors.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 12:03:55 AM »

Single payer is at least 30 years off

Stiffs like Schumer and Pelosi will never support it
I get Pelosi but why the Schumer hate? He has been doing the best job in party leadership of working with Bernie an fighting Trump
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 12:05:37 AM »

Single payer is at least 30 years off

Stiffs like Schumer and Pelosi will never support it

Why? Are these guys bought and paid for?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 01:50:28 AM »

Schumer & Pelosi are smart cookies. They know which way the wind is blowing, perhaps Pelosi has lost more touch but still these people will easily vote for Single payer if there's support for the idea & if there's a Dem president. And they will also whip votes. Schumer has always supported the Public Option, as has Pelosi.

The thing is you have to get 60-70% of the caucus ready for this so that you can bully the remaining with huge citizen pressure. In the next Congress, Dems should target 150-160 so that it is realistic to get a majority for HR676 in 2021.

The challenge is to get people like Booker, Cantwell & all blue state Dems on-board first, then target purple state Dems by 2020 & then in 2021 force the rest !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 10:54:05 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2017, 10:56:59 PM by Shadows »

Support for the bill, however, was quite limited, especially at first. Only 38 House Democrats (18 percent) cosponsored it when it was introduced. Eventually it gained more supporters, peaking at 93 in 2010 but this was back when Democrats had just won large majorities in 2006 and 93 sponsors only represented 42 percent of the caucus.

That was the high water mark until now, with less than a third of Democrats signing on to the law in the last two Congresses (113th, 114th). In essence HR 676 has served mostly as an organizing tool, widely used by advocates to help educate the public. But now that it has gained the support of half the caucus, its status is elevated: The bill is now viewed by many lawmakers as a viable path to reform. And activists continue to push for more support.

Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP), a group of 21,000 physicians, medical students and health professionals, announced today that H.R. 676, the Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act has reached a record number of co-sponsors in the House of Representatives, now totalling 104. The bill would yield about $500 billion annually in administrative savings and provide immediate coverage to the 26 million Americans who are currently uninsured, achieving President Trump’s campaign promises of more coverage, better benefits and lower costs.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »

Why do I feel this is as real as the 62 times the GOP voted to repeal Obamacare, but once in power can't agree?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2017, 02:27:03 PM »

Why do I feel this is as real as the 62 times the GOP voted to repeal Obamacare, but once in power can't agree?

Well yeah, but it's still a step in the right direction.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2017, 12:41:36 PM »

I used to support universal health care through Medicare for All until I realized just how limited the program is.

Universal health care through Medicaid expansion is probably the more realistic option. As several news agencies now report, Medicaid is now America's largest health care provider and already covers a greater variety of medical services than Medicare. The issues of high cost and hospital reimbursement are however not trivial.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2017, 08:38:21 PM »

Shifting the goalposts much? There aren't even 200 Democrats in the House.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2017, 01:22:36 PM »

Shifting the goalposts much? There aren't even 200 Democrats in the House.
How is that shifting the goalposts? This isn't my thread. Or maybe you need to look up the term, since it doesn't apply, or it doesn't mean what you think it to mean.

And yes, I know there aren't that many Democrats in the House. That was part of my point.
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2017, 11:44:23 PM »

Now they have taken to individually shame some Blue state leaders. The 1st target is Kurt Schrader (Or-4) & they are publishing his response to constituents & disclosing his donors from big pharma.

Kurt's my representative (and btw he represents OR-5). I don't know that candidates more progressive than Schrader will be able to win here. With Republican leaning population centers like Lake Oswego, Dems could easily lose this seat if someone more progressive primaries Kurt. I think the only reasons he does so well in this district are because he's a blue dog and an incumbent.

I'm sure the Democratic party knows more than I do, but we should never underestimate the party's ability to drop the ball.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2017, 05:13:20 AM »

Of course all the top leadership (Minority Leader, Minority Whip, DCCC chair) is MIA.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2017, 09:47:24 AM »

D*mn. Didn't even know this bill existed. Tongue Sorta surprised that my Representative jumped on board so early (literally the day of).

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »

"Medicare for all" is just a "catchy" slogan. It's not realistic and it's not going to pass, and I say this as a supporter of universal healthcare. "Medicare for all" doesn't begin to recognize the subtleties of healthcare reform that are addressed in most, if not all, other proposals.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2017, 07:58:11 PM »

Really proud of the New Dem Caucus on this one.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2017, 08:15:23 PM »

It's fine if a congressman or senator doesn't prefer this specific bill as long as they support universal coverage for all Americans.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies