Neil Gorsuch: 'employers should ask women if they want children'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:08:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Neil Gorsuch: 'employers should ask women if they want children'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Neil Gorsuch: 'employers should ask women if they want children'  (Read 1664 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »
« edited: March 21, 2017, 12:09:07 PM by Delegate J_American »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/neil-gorsuch-latest-donald-trump-supreme-court-nominee-pick-women-children-manipulate-employers-a7639006.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I guess this is part of all that "winning" we heard so much about. Nothing like a SCOTUS nominee claiming there's some widespread, rampant abuse of maternity benefits by women that'd justify companies being able to ask (obviously for the purpose of discrimination in hiring) women if they intend to have children. I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting rather tired of all this winning and freedom.

EDIT: Gorsuch, during his confirmation hearing, clarified this issue and presented his side of the story. It seemed pretty convincing to me and believe the question was misinterpreted by the students since his real question pertained to an issue common among female lawyers, which include potentially having to lie about their intentions of getting pregnant so they can secure a new job. He was adamantly opposed to female lawyers having to answer such a question.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:40:53 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 10:45:16 AM by realisticidealist »

This does happen quite a bit, but he probably didn't word it the best. I don't know if pre-screening is the best idea either. Maybe some sort of continuing employment clause in their contracts if you're worried about it?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 10:50:02 AM »

If that's not sexist, I don't know what is. F**king come on.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 11:09:33 AM »

that would be illegal over here...in fact a woman would be legally allowed to lie about it.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »

If that's not sexist, I don't know what is. F**king come on.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting rather tired of all this winning and freedom.

Well he warned us that we'd win so much that we'd get sick of it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 01:38:12 PM »

I remember seeing columns in which words as uttered by Communists were contrasted to what people in liberal democracies understood them to be. Such a word as "peace" typically means the absence of armed conflict, but in Commie-speak it meant the final defeat of capitalism. Patriotism to most people means aligning with one's country in international disputes; for a Commie it meant allegiance to the Communist cause in one's country. 'Freedom' to a Commie meant the elimination of capitalist exploitation.

When we don't have an overt lie with the current President we often have something loaded in meaning. President Trump can't get enough of the words "winner" and "loser". Ordinarily a winner is one who has achieved greatly or at least won some contest. For President Trump a "winner" is such because of inherent qualities or the luck of being born so rich that one could not spend oneself into ruin.  A loser is such because of his built-in character. Winners are to be praised just for being 'winners'. 'Losers' have and deserve no chance in President Trump's America.     
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »

The party that cares about women ladies and gentlemen, potentially not hiring them because they want children.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »

I think they should too. But where I differ is that employers should do everything they can to accommodate their needs. Same with expectant fathers.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 01:45:42 PM »

When is America going to accept that having children is one of the most fundamental parts of being human, and obviously necessary for our survival as a species? Society should be structured around this. Instead, we have a society where many people need to worry about their financial well-being and job security if they decide to have kids.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »

When is America going to accept that having children is one of the most fundamental parts of being human, and obviously necessary for our survival as a species? Society should be structured around this. Instead, we have a society where many people need to worry about their financial well-being and job security if they decide to have kids.

Best not to be born. Before then the right wing care about you. Afterwards you and your parent/s are nothing but an economic inconvenience.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 01:52:18 PM »

Look up Hunter Tylo and find out why these sort of questions can lead employers to a whole lot of trouble

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Tylo#Lawsuit
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »

People can change their minds. The more optimistic people get about their lives, the more likely they are to have children.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 02:47:03 PM »

Gotta watch out for those sneaky womenz.  Always planning to manipulate companies to leech off of that amazing unpaid leave benefits.  It's not like someone could realize they want to spend more time with their newborn child after having it right?

Ouch.  Sad  Agreed on importance of family and paid leave though.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 03:52:28 PM »

that would be illegal over here...in fact a woman would be legally allowed to lie about it.

I'm surprised nobody has brought it up yet, but it's also illegal to ask that question in the United States.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 03:57:55 PM »

Easy way to destroy the fertility rate
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 04:21:15 PM by realisticidealist »

I'm surprised nobody has brought it up yet, but it's also illegal to ask that question in the United States.

Hence why it's taken advantage of. My wife works in my university's HR department, and this exact scenario happens a couple times a year at least. And before anyone else cries "sexism," I have 100% confidence that many men would do the same if they had equal access to parental leave.

There are some quite flawed incentives the way things are set up right now. Parental leave is very important, but there needs to be some mechanisms in place to prevent or at least heavily disincentivize this type of behavior.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »

Would be some silver lining imo
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 02:37:03 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2017, 04:19:49 AM by Meclazine »

Really depends on the size of the business and the length of service.

If the terms of the agreement for employment allow for pregnancy and maternal leave after a certain period of time, then so be it.

If the terms of the contract for work agreement don't allow for maternal leave, then asking that question is prudent.

Trust me, employment agreements are fairly non-romantic in comparison to the contents of this thread.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 10:06:22 AM »

Gorsuch skillfully crushed this claim when Durbin asked it.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 10:28:05 AM »

Yes indeed for all the talk of a "Culture of Life" and "Someone Else's Babies", Republicans sure do make it difficult to have and raise children.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 05:13:57 PM »

Please read the revised OP...
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »

Yes indeed for all the talk of a "Culture of Life" and "Someone Else's Babies", Republicans sure do make it difficult to have and raise children.

The Republicans are pro-pregnancy, nothing more.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 08:02:23 PM »

I did, but my message is still pertinent speaking about America's views on this subject overall. Childbirth, sickness and other family emergencies are still mostly treated as nothing but a blight upon business that must be snuffed out at all costs among many companies.

In a way, it says a lot about this country.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies