Neil Gorsuch: 'employers should ask women if they want children' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:24:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Neil Gorsuch: 'employers should ask women if they want children' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Neil Gorsuch: 'employers should ask women if they want children'  (Read 1675 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: March 21, 2017, 10:40:53 AM »
« edited: March 21, 2017, 10:45:16 AM by realisticidealist »

This does happen quite a bit, but he probably didn't word it the best. I don't know if pre-screening is the best idea either. Maybe some sort of continuing employment clause in their contracts if you're worried about it?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 04:21:15 PM by realisticidealist »

that would be illegal over here...in fact a woman would be legally allowed to lie about it.

I'm surprised nobody has brought it up yet, but it's also illegal to ask that question in the United States.

Hence why it's taken advantage of. My wife works in my university's HR department, and this exact scenario happens a couple times a year at least. And before anyone else cries "sexism," I have 100% confidence that many men would do the same if they had equal access to parental leave.

There are some quite flawed incentives the way things are set up right now. Parental leave is very important, but there needs to be some mechanisms in place to prevent or at least heavily disincentivize this type of behavior.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies