NV-02: Angle declares her candidacy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:36:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NV-02: Angle declares her candidacy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NV-02: Angle declares her candidacy  (Read 1906 times)
JMT

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »

Sharron Angle is back... she announced she's running for congress in Nevada's Second District. I think she has no shot if Amodei runs again, but if he retires (or runs for a different office, say, attorney general), she could potentially squeak by in a crowded primary.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/324961-sharron-angle-to-challenge-gop-rep-in-nevada
mencken
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »

she could potentially squeak by in a crowded primary.

Color me skeptical
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:29:26 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 02:32:05 PM by Maxwell »

that's 23% of the vote right there! enough in a very crowded field to win. And the areas she did best in are in - you guessed it - Amodei's district!

For certain she would lose to Amodei and she would probably lose the primary, but this is close to a safe GOP district. When districts are Safe for one party, those primaries tend to be crowded unless there is an obvious successor to said incumbent.
mencken
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:23:05 PM »

that's 23% of the vote right there! enough in a very crowded field to win. And the areas she did best in are in - you guessed it - Amodei's district!

For certain she would lose to Amodei and she would probably lose the primary, but this is close to a safe GOP district. When districts are Safe for one party, those primaries tend to be crowded unless there is an obvious successor to said incumbent.

Fair enough. Danny Tarkanian won in NV-3 with only 32% of the vote, I suppose his primary rival could accomplish the same feat.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:28:30 PM »

Is there talk of Amodei retiring or running for another office?

An open seat with Angle as the candidate in an anti-Trump midterm...that would scare some Republicans in Nevada.
JMT

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 08:41:43 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 08:43:29 PM by JMT »

An open seat with Angle as the candidate in an anti-Trump midterm...that would scare some Republicans in Nevada.

Yes, Amodei is apparently evaluating what it is like to serve in Congress under a Trump administration, and will consider a run for state Attorney General in a few months.

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/27/republican-amodei-doesnt-rule-out-run-nevada-attorney-general/97154702/
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 09:24:33 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 09:26:43 PM by The Arizonan »

There's no guarantee that Sharron Angle would win even if she got the nomination because northern Nevada is becoming less Republican by the minute and the House election is during a midterm with Donald Trump as President.

Fair enough. Danny Tarkanian won in NV-3 with only 32% of the vote, I suppose his primary rival could accomplish the same feat.

Are you being facetious? Danny Tarkanian lost to Jacky Rosen.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 10:04:54 PM »

There's no guarantee that Sharron Angle would win even if she got the nomination because northern Nevada is becoming less Republican by the minute and the House election is during a midterm with Donald Trump as President.

Are you being facetious? Danny Tarkanian lost to Jacky Rosen.

Pretty sure he's referring to his win in the primary election Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 04:14:06 PM »

Again?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 07:54:21 PM »

She had some very good ads in 2010 if I remember correctly.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 11:53:16 PM »

This district is basically just Reno, Carson City and a smattering of small towns right? What's politics like there?
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 12:47:14 PM »

I am not surprised Angle is making a bid for Congress. She craves elected office so it makes sense she is running for Congress, the most Republican seat in Nevada. I think she could pull out a win but it'll be hard if Amodei runs again. If he doesn't she might be a shoo in for the seat because of how conservative she is.

It's amazing how synonymous conservative and crazy have become.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 11:52:52 PM »

I am not surprised Angle is making a bid for Congress. She craves elected office so it makes sense she is running for Congress, the most Republican seat in Nevada. I think she could pull out a win but it'll be hard if Amodei runs again. If he doesn't she might be a shoo in for the seat because of how conservative she is.

It's amazing how synonymous conservative and crazy have become.

There are liberals that are crazy as well, but you are on the right track.

Sharron Angle can still lose the general election for the House seat because she has a history of throwing away winnable elections and northern Nevada has become less Republican in recent history. Washoe County has voted Democrat in presidential elections since 2008.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 11:59:56 PM »

Yes, Amodei is apparently evaluating what it is like to serve in Congress under a Trump administration, and will consider a run for state Attorney General in a few months.

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/27/republican-amodei-doesnt-rule-out-run-nevada-attorney-general/97154702/

If I were a Republican in the House, I'd be looking for the first state-level political opportunity that presented itself.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies