AHCA Whip Count
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:38:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AHCA Whip Count
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23
Author Topic: AHCA Whip Count  (Read 38084 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: March 24, 2017, 05:00:19 PM »

Wow. After 7 years of Republicans constantly trying to kill Obamacare, wanting it dead from the moment it was passed, I have to say I'm shocked that they lost this fight and gave in so quickly. Maybe they should have actually been thinking about how to replace Obamacare effectively, and how to deal with the fact that millions are only insured because of Obamacare over the past seven years. Were they honestly expecting that there wouldn't be a backlash against attempts to get rid of Obamacare? Did they think the left was just going to hang its head in despair and let them do away with it?

I'm not sure what the Republicans could have done that would've actually been successful, but it's clear that they were massively unprepared for the task of actually dealing with health care.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #526 on: March 24, 2017, 05:04:39 PM »

No single payer, no public option, not even a weak public option. Sure, the ACA was a big bill, but he didn't really go that big.

Obama did what he could under the restrictions of the political era. The rules of politics in the United States have to be rewritten to allow that stuff to go through. The ACA was barely acceptable.

But time will produce the demand for comprehensive health insurance particularly as Trump's policies fails to help the working class that voted for him. The intensified need for healthcare reform to help those left behind by globalism will produce the majority Democrats need.
Shilly
United States

« Reply #527 on: March 24, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »

It's a joke, by the way.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #528 on: March 24, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »

No single payer, no public option, not even a weak public option. Sure, the ACA was a big bill, but he didn't really go that big.

Obama did what he could under the restrictions of the political era. The rules of politics in the United States have to be rewritten to allow that stuff to go through. The ACA was barely acceptable.

But time will produce the demand for comprehensive health insurance particularly as Trump's policies fails to help the working class that voted for him. The intensified need for healthcare reform to help those left behind by globalism will produce the majority Democrats need.

I pretty much agree with everything TD is saying. From LBJ creating Medicare/Medicaid, the Dems have always made UHC an ultimate goal... Not necessarily a system like the NHS in the UK, but closer to what Canada and Germany have. If the Dems win control of the government in 2020 or 2024, they will add in a public option, expand medicaid, lower the participation age for Medicare to 60, and add in drug/test negotiation to bring down costs. They can use the tax system to ensure that everyone can afford a plan... by making small additions/adjustments to the ACA, the Dems can create functional UHC... the framework is there, and now we know it's durable.

The idea of a free-market health care system in the US, Paul Ryan's dream, is dead.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #529 on: March 24, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »

Let me enjoy my fantasy in my own reality please.
kyc0705

« Reply #530 on: March 24, 2017, 06:43:39 PM »

Oh, can you imagine?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #531 on: March 24, 2017, 07:03:43 PM »

Trump's not totally wrong though: The massive premium hikes are not going over well with the working class and it will depend on how effectively Republicans and Trump will tie this to the Democrats before the next elections. If Democrats don't find a proper message on their own they cannot simply rely on the Republicans to implode. They need to work for it and the best way to do so would be to find a bipartisan way to reign in the premium hikes. Otherwise it will really explode on the Democrats sooner or later because they are the architects of this ...

Blame Trump, the GOP, and deregulation.

"Your health care would still be cheap if Hillary won and we had a D majority in the Senate! Trump and the GOP sold you out to Big Insurance!"

That truth doesn't matter with Trump voters is a double-edged sword. That the Dems can add a second cut of, "Why didn't the GOP and Trump fix it?" is just frosting.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #532 on: March 24, 2017, 07:30:42 PM »

Does Ryan ever get tired of being cuckholded?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #533 on: March 24, 2017, 08:11:45 PM »

RIP Ryandoesn'tcare, won't be missed.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #534 on: March 24, 2017, 08:15:21 PM »

So where is House Majority Whip Steve Scalise in all of this? If Republicans wanted a non-Ryan, non-Trump scapegoat to fire, he seems like a good place to start.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #535 on: March 24, 2017, 08:26:07 PM »

Paul Ryan is destined to be studied as a classic case of the gargantuan gulf between perceived "wonkishness"/Very Serious Person-ness and actual ability to make meaningful change.

This is an extremely good point.  I'd add Bloomberg, Lindsey Graham, and Mark Warner to that list as well.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #536 on: March 24, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »

Fantastic news.  Great to see this monstrous administration humiliated.  More importantly, millions of people will keep their health coverage for now.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #537 on: March 25, 2017, 03:49:33 AM »

Sanders is trolling Trump now...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://us.cnn.com/2017/03/24/politics/bernie-sanders-donald-trump-health-care/index.html

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #538 on: March 25, 2017, 06:57:42 AM »

Trump is running a shadow campaign using Breitbart & some other people to throw Ryan under the bus. He is probably going to the fall guy here as Trump won't take any blame for this loss !
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #539 on: March 25, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »

Enough said: https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/845653616585293824
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #540 on: March 25, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »

Trump is running a shadow campaign using Breitbart & some other people to throw Ryan under the bus. He is probably going to the fall guy here as Trump won't take any blame for this loss !

Maybe this is how the Alt-Right and Right(Neoconservatives, Antiabortionists, and some libertarians and corpratists) part ways.

"The Fox News agenda is dead. Let's do Brietbart's." Though I imagine there is still a role for Antiabortionists, but more at the Euroidentity level than civil rights or even law and order level.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #541 on: March 25, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »

Bannon walked into Freedom Caucus meeting,said "This is not a debate. You have no choice but to vote for this bill."

Answer:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/845635296607789056
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #542 on: March 25, 2017, 12:38:02 PM »

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #543 on: March 25, 2017, 02:15:55 PM »

I don't think people realize how bad Trump's negotiation skills were here.

-Doesn't know anything about healthcare policy, so he can't come up with proposals on his own.

-Publically says he will go after Mark Meadows if he votes no. This makes a situation where Meadows will be humiliated if he switches his vote to yes.

Just all over the place bad.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #544 on: March 25, 2017, 02:22:48 PM »

Bannon walked into Freedom Caucus meeting,said "This is not a debate. You have no choice but to vote for this bill."

Answer:

LOL, so much for the Goebbels wannabe.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #545 on: March 25, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »

Answer:

LOL, so much for the Goebbels wannabe.

Haha, they try sooo HARD to be a Putin-style strongman administration, but when they do they are quickly shown the finger.

I don't really believe anymore that there's going to be some kind of authoritarian rule under Trump. They're just too inept.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #546 on: March 25, 2017, 09:00:08 PM »

according to current rumours, not Ryan but Priebus is going to fall on this sword.

Source close to @POTUS says he's being advised to replace @Reince45 & is open to possibility -- healthcare was last straw
https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/845696980416430080
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #547 on: March 25, 2017, 09:26:15 PM »

We need to get rid of Bannon, not Priebus.  Only movement conservatives should advise Trump.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #548 on: March 25, 2017, 09:28:16 PM »

We need to get rid of Bannon, not Priebus.  Only movement conservatives should advise Trump.

-You have learned nothing. Priebus and Ryan should go out the window. Bannon should take over as VP.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #549 on: March 25, 2017, 09:33:40 PM »

Fantastic news.  Great to see this monstrous administration humiliated.  More importantly, millions of people will keep their health coverage for now.
Gladly agree here.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies